Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 04:35 PM

8,366 posts, read 6,465,628 times

Advertisements

The head liner would fall down on a lot of 80's GM cars, stuff like that gives people a bad impression of American cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 05:08 PM

15,441 posts, read 25,862,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The head liner would fall down on a lot of 80's GM cars, stuff like that gives people a bad impression of American cars.
That's happening to our 2006 VW Jetta now too. Hated when that happened. I had hoped it would never happen again, but nope.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:39 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,851,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"The 15 cars owners keep the longest in the US are almost all made by Toyota and Honda"

Does this measure the longevity of the vehicles or is it measuring ownership bias? Think about it. Let's say everyone believes, right or wrong, that Brand X will last 25 years while Brand Y is a junkyard queen after only 10 years. And so at the 10 year point owners of Brand X will invest in major service or overhauls to keep them on the road, while owners of Brand Y will have them towed to the junkyard because "everyone knows" they don't last.

These preconceived ideas about longevity also factor into resale value. Brand Y will have a lower resale value because "everyone knows" they don't last. This also enters into the owner's decision whether to repair it or junk it.

There are too many emotional human factors in length of ownership to make it a reliable indicator of vehicle longevity.
You made this up!

No one is that stupid. I have never known anyone to have their car towed to a junkyard, especially because of hearsay . I've never even heard of this being done until you posted it.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:55 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I wonder what credentials Brittany Chang has that gives her any insight to the list? Around here, it's a list of foreign cars and trucks that you rarely see and if you do, they're exhaust smoking junkers that nobody really wants to drive. It's folks that have no other car to drive and can't afford anything better. Some of these on the list have been owned by friends and family. None of those folks will never have another one. But back to Ms Chang, does she really think the 2000 Tundra compares to the likes of the F150 or the Silverado as lasting longer? It's probably been months since I've seen that generation of Tundra. Can't hardly step outside and not see the same generation F150 or Silverado. Jeez, you can even see more Rams. So as polls go, this is like any of them, generated by people that have no clue but it's their job to come up with something. Rarely do you see any foreign made old cars. The last Cressida I saw was probably 10 years ago. The early Supra I haven't seen one in over 10 years. But I see lots of Mustangs all the way back to the 60's. So much for Changs diatribe on cars. She's absolutely clueless.

'
See, this is the kind of thing we're dealing with today. What credentials does Brittany Chang have? None. Except that she knows how to read and write in the English language. The very first thing you see when you scroll down is that all the info comes from "automotive research firm iSeeCars.com." Brittany Chang is just doing her job. If you have a problem with someone disparaging your 'Murican cars, it's iSeeCars you have the issue with, not some poor journalist who probably got paid peanuts to write the posted article. Darn, people, really!!!

Old 01-27-2020, 06:16 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,275,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
True, but so does whether or not a vehicle is garaged or not.
Lots of Asian cars of that vintage were sold in California, where they have much higher market share.
Of course they're going to last longer. They've got it easy compared to the Ford or GM running around on salt covered streets in the Midwest.

Out here, those cars are gone. I'm more likely to see a Mk 1 Olds Aurora than an '90's Accord, despite way more Accords being sold.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:50 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,366,238 times
Here's a page that I ran across that might be interesting for some. Toyota seems to be the winner for dependability: https://www.carcomplaints.com/best_vehicles/

Old 01-28-2020, 05:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 770,813 times
I’ve had 3 Honda Accords. The ’88 died just short of 500k miles, the ‘03 was totaled by a red light runner and the ’08 EX-L (VCM V6) started to burn 1 qt. of oil every month (at 50k miles), so we sold it. We were treated so badly by American Honda trying to get the problem resolved that we vowed to never buy another Honda. Driving a Toyota FJ now (always wanted one). So far, so good.

We have a ’96 Ford F250 4X4 club cab, long bed with a gas 460, immaculate condition just turned over 80k miles (albeit hard miles towing/hauling heavy stuff) bought new. It still looks like new and we are constantly being approached by people wanting to buy it when we take it out (rarely). Cannot afford to replace it and we need it to haul our Intrepid boat out of the water on occasion. Have gone through 2 Dodge Ram trucks and will never buy another Chrysler product again. Kids each drive Explorers (’03 4 dr. @ 90+k & ’01 Sport 2 dr. @ 125+k) those are still going but really showing the miles and going to have to be replaced soon. Will probably be Toyota RAV4s or maybe Highlanders. No regrets on those two Explorers though, they turned out to be much better than expected.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:09 AM

12,584 posts, read 9,685,357 times
As others have said, Brittany Chang wrote the article, and she read and understood the study results, but she didn't have anything to do with the survey. If someone feels wounded, they should rant about iSeeCars.

That said, I don't think these results are shocking. Toyota and Honda overall have had the best reliability - those cars would therefore be the least hassle and expense to hold onto, so I can see that owners don't get fed up with them so quickly. Really it's just what you would expect from reliability results that have been long and widely reported.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:12 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,105,364 times
Had a 1998 corrolla for 21 years and it ran just like new. Sold it and they wrecked it within a couple months of buying it. SMH it would still be running right now if I had kept it.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:21 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,253,180 times
My Toyota Highlander is 18yo and I LOVE it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive