Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car company will go bankrupt (or bailed out) next?
GM 7 15.22%
Ford 4 8.70%
Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) 23 50.00%
Tesla 11 23.91%
Toyota 0 0%
Honda 0 0%
Subaru 0 0%
Renault / Nissan 16 34.78%
Peugeot (PSA) 1 2.17%
Kia 0 0%
Hyundai 0 0%
VW 1 2.17%
Daimler 3 6.52%
BMW 1 2.17%
Mazda 0 0%
Volvo / Geely 0 0%
Jaguar / Tata Motors 3 6.52%
BYD 1 2.17%
SAIC 0 0%
BAIC 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 03:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Tesla.

The market for Tesla's overpriced vehicles isn't that big. The masses cannot afford them. And many that can (like myself) don't want them. Only members of the "global warming Tesla cult" buys what they're selling.

I know a dude that paid $57,000 for a Model 3 (it's like a $19,000 Honda Civic). Then he spent thousands for a home charging station; and then $22,000 for solar panels. All on credit. Well over $80,000 (and paying interest charges monthly). The moron brags about "saving money on gasoline". So funny!

The recent euphoria in Tesla shares will be short lived and ends in disaster.
Anything to justify one's wants, right? We tend not to question things that agree with us, and people are eager to sell these things to anyone with money or credit to burn. Deadly combo, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 03:45 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,271,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Tesla.

The market for Tesla's overpriced vehicles isn't that big. The masses cannot afford them. And many that can (like myself) don't want them. Only members of the "global warming Tesla cult" buys what they're selling.

I know a dude that paid $57,000 for a Model 3 (it's like a $19,000 Honda Civic). Then he spent thousands for a home charging station; and then $22,000 for solar panels. All on credit. Well over $80,000 (and paying interest charges monthly). The moron brags about "saving money on gasoline". So funny!

The recent euphoria in Tesla shares will be short lived and ends in disaster.
This from a guy who keeps lying about the state of his short position in Tesla.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I post this thread routinely to see how the state of things (and perception) have changed over time.

I don't need to "get back" at anyone. Appreciation in shares and being correct in my assessment of the future of transportation are good enough!

That's OK. I have stock that's doing better than Tesla anyways...

Old 02-05-2020, 08:22 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
People who said Tesla don't understand the stock market. Hype is everything and TSLA will survive just because of it's rediculous market cap and being able to sell stock to gullible suckers at insane prices due to the way human emotion affects the stock market. The stock market is really a market for the top 5% and the top 5% throw their money at Tesla as a matter of status. There's a big disconnect between joe blue collar middle class and the top 5% Hollywood crowd that run the media.

It's best not to fight good name recognition and positive media coverage when it comes to the stock market. It's the same reason you don't want to go shorting Beyond Meat (BYND) and any other company that has hype combined with a product that markets to a progressive, upper class crowd.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
US Fiat 500/500X/500L sales have cratered. They've fallen off by about 90% from their combined peak about 5 years ago. Of course, it's a global car company, and Fiat didn't have any US car sales 10 years ago. Still, this can't be good, and I believe Chinese sales for Fiat have encountered similar drastic reductions.
Once the "cute" factor wore off and people realized that Fiats are the same unreliable pieces of crap that they were when they last graced our highways, sales went in the tank. My sister had an X1/9 years ago, and that thing was in the shop more than it was on the road, and everything had to be ordered from Italy.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:44 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I guess you haven’t herd that Chrysler Fiat has merged with PSA so you’re assumption is wrong research before making broad statements.

Citing increased cost-saving efficiencies Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and French automaker Groupe PSA have announced an agreement to merge, forming the fourth-largest global automaker by volume and third largest by revenue.

“This is a merger between two healthy companies,” said PSA Chairman and CEO Carlos Tavares during a conference call with financial analysts. “We are not only proud but very excited about creating this new company that is going to deliver a new leader for a new era in sustainable mobility.”
Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998... there was the same sort of optimism going into that. Guess where Chrysler was a decade later? Bankrupt for the second time.

Chrysler's history always repeats itself. It's been the same see-saw pattern for at least 50 years. I question how many more cycles the company can last.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998... there was the same sort of optimism going into that. Guess where Chrysler was a decade later? Bankrupt for the second time.

Chrysler's history always repeats itself. It's been the same see-saw pattern for at least 50 years. I question how many more cycles the company can last.
Chrysler didn’t merge with Daimler it was to keep it out of the hands of Kirk Kerkorian.

The real impetus for the merger, however, may have been more elementary. At the time of the deal, billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian was trying to gain control of the company. Then-Chairman Bob Eaton, determined not to let Chrysler fall into Kerkorian's hands, found Daimler-Benz instead.

Billed as a "merger of equals," the $36 billion deal turned out to be anything but, analysts said. Soon, control of the combined company fell to Daimler Chairman Schrempp.

So to say it was a merger is not true.

And fiat Chrysler is doing very well uaw employees are very happy again.

Fiat Chrysler announced Thursday that, based on the company’s 2019 financial performance, UAW-represented employees will receive $7,280 in profit sharing this year.

Last edited by easy62; 02-06-2020 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 07:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Once the "cute" factor wore off and people realized that Fiats are the same unreliable pieces of crap that they were when they last graced our highways, sales went in the tank. My sister had an X1/9 years ago, and that thing was in the shop more than it was on the road, and everything had to be ordered from Italy.
Yup... if a long established (50+ years) car company has always built crap, they’ll keep building crap. Fiat was founded in 1899, built crap decades ago and still build crap. Chrysler was founded in 1925, built crap decades ago and still build crap.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:11 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,271,020 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/daimler...405491?mod=mhp

Not a good sign for Daimler

Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
With the extremely costly push for EV and Autonomous vehicles , I'd expect to see more "collaborations" , similar to what GM and Honda are doing. As far as major companies going under... I'm not sure. Maybe some discontinuation of brands, like Buick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive