Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 AM

23 posts, read 13,224 times

Advertisements

I love cars but I have always thought that racing, in any form, was incredibly boring and a colossal waste of money. I don't see the point in building a $30k (and that's conservative) on a car that you're just going to take to the drag strip and see how fast you can run the quarter mile. To me that's just a waste of my time. I know different strokes for different folks, but I just can't get into any of it. To be fair though, I don't like any spectator sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) and find watching them to be worse than watching nothing at all. It just doesn't do it for me.

For me, I like the actual aspect of repairing cars and coming up with creative ways to do things that make the job easier, faster and saves wear and tear on your body. Doing the same thing over and over again gets boring to me, that's why I like independent shops because I see a wide variety of cars. Having worked at dealerships, I got so sick of seeing the same problems all the time.

Racing would be much the same for me. I can't see the point of building a $30k engine just to run one race and rebuild it again. It's too repetitive for me. Personally, my dream would be to restore classic cars but the market for that and the profits just aren't really feasible to do it professionally, however I would like to get a project car for myself and restore it to keep.

Are there any other cars guys that aren't into racing? Don't get me wrong by the way, I do like to drive fast and play around, and I love high performance cars, but WATCHING that kind of stuff is worse than watching paint dry IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 08:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,029,320 times
Trying to get a bunch of posts in before you go, Jimmy?

Old 02-22-2020, 08:58 AM

6,489 posts, read 3,180,655 times
OP, that's the beauty of living in a fairly free society. If spending $30K on a race car doesn't interest you, you don't have to. If experiencing the adrenaline rush of a briskly accelerating car, or the rush of a "high G-force" turn doesn't excite you, you don't have to participate.

You're free to get out your hose, bucket, jug of car wash, and spray detailer, and enjoy yourself.....

Old 02-22-2020, 09:11 AM

19,094 posts, read 27,673,713 times
So nice to have a trained psychiatrist in Automotive forum, with deep knowledge of all aspects of human nature and professional ability to convey them to public.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM

16 posts, read 10,324 times
I'm not really into racing regularly but you have to feel the rush you get from it.I have a old muscle car(very fast) and I mostly just enjoy driving it.
It's just a matter of choice for everyone,I also like sports a lot but not all.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,425,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmike View Post
I'm not really into racing regularly but you have to feel the rush you get from it.I have a old muscle car(very fast) and I mostly just enjoy driving it.
It's just a matter of choice for everyone,I also like sports a lot but not all.
Just make sure all of that "very fast" stuff doesn't happen on OUR public roadways my friend.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:21 AM

Now I know why I don't post here very offen,by the way I'm 68 yrs.old and they don't happen on OUR roadways.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:24 AM

8,362 posts, read 6,457,193 times
I knew a well off retired guy who bought two show quality hot rods and he had room for them and he never did anything with them except show them to friends and he was fine with that.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:36 AM

A lot of my friends have muscle cars and just plain antique cars that are just old we just enjoy these cars and we get together for shows or just some cruising were all retired so it gives us something to do.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
ok OP, first unless you are going to go racing at the high end of the spectrum, you dont need to spend $30k plus on an engine.

second have you EVER participated in a race? have you ever run through the 1/4 mile? driven on an oval track or road course against other people?

racing can be cheap to get into at the sportsman level. for instance you an buy a cheap car, lets say a beat up chevy nova that may need a replacement engine. go to your local GM dealer or parts store, and pick up a reman long block for about $2500 or so, and drop it in the car. get it running and now you have a "race car". if you have a drag strip in your area, you can go bracket racing without having to spend a lot of money doing constant rebuilds. just normal maintenance like oil changes, plug changes, etc.

or if drag racing isnt your forte, the SCCA has races all over the country for various classes. again no need to spend a ton of money, that nova mentioned above can be made into a club racer. just follow the rule book for building your car in what ever class you want to compete in.you can race at the club level for less than about $10,000 PER YEAR, and that includes getting to and from the races, maintenance, entry fees, fuel, tires, etc.

now if you want to go racing in nascar, top fuel, indycar, etc. you will spend over $100,000 per engine, and you will need several engines.

racing can be a lot of fun, and can be done on a budget as well. but if racing isnt your cup of tea, then dont do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive