Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 PM

127 posts, read 83,221 times

Advertisements

And have a meeting and see how they could stick it to the people?

Turning in a lease really soon and it seems that most dealers now a days don’t want to make a deal. Every dealer I’ve spoken with which is roughly a doZen over the past month, want nothing to do with selling a car. They aren’t returning calls, they don’t want to haggle a trade in price, they don’t want to budge on their prices minus “discounts” from the manufacturer.

To top it off, to qualify for the best discounts you have to finance through their bank, Ally, Chrysler capital etc and have to take a high apr to get the extra cash. Some of these rates are 5.9%!!!! With an 850 credit score you should be getting 0% or really low 1-2’s.

Side note. Why are trucks so insanely expensive!?? Nearly 40k Otd on a base mode xlt f150 same or higher with Toyota, Chevy and gmc. It’s insane, really.

Are dealers limited supply so they want to horde cars and trucks and sell them to the highest sucker...I mean bidder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 05:58 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Right now, where I live it is called SUPPLY and DEMAND. They have NO supply, and if the demand is high, they do not have to haggle. I wouldn't either if I was a car dealer. I was at the dealer on Thursday for an oil change and there was ONLY ONE new 1500 truck on the lot; maybe two 3/4 or 1 ton.

As for financing, I have never heard of a dealer saying you have to finance per their demand, and if there is a rebate a rebate comes from the manufacturer not the dealer.

I would recommend shopping in another area...

Old 06-14-2020, 06:01 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I suspect they are making business decisions. It's not unusual to see people here posting that car dealers won't give them a "reasonable" price, when what they clearly mean is they won't offer a vehicle at the price the poster wants to pay. If I am trying to sell something for $35,000, and my knowledge of the market leads me to believe that if I talk to enough customers I will probably get somewhere between $33-34,000 for it, why would I agree to sell it to you for $30,000 or $25,000?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Calling is the problem, most dealers don't want to discuss numbers over the phone because they don't view you as a serious buyer. They also don't want to give you info you can take to their competitors.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:54 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
For several years now the innerwebs have convinced people that they should fight for every penny from the evil dealers and manufacturers. Nobody wants to pay too much obviously, but 'too much' is subjective. If folks want the convenience of 18 dealerships lined up on two miles of interstate, they need to realize that convenience comes with a cost.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
And have a meeting and see how they could stick it to the people?

Turning in a lease really soon and it seems that most dealers now a days don’t want to make a deal. Every dealer I’ve spoken with which is roughly a doZen over the past month, want nothing to do with selling a car. They aren’t returning calls, they don’t want to haggle a trade in price, they don’t want to budge on their prices minus “discounts” from the manufacturer.

To top it off, to qualify for the best discounts you have to finance through their bank, Ally, Chrysler capital etc and have to take a high apr to get the extra cash. Some of these rates are 5.9%!!!! With an 850 credit score you should be getting 0% or really low 1-2’s.

Side note. Why are trucks so insanely expensive!?? Nearly 40k Otd on a base mode xlt f150 same or higher with Toyota, Chevy and gmc. It’s insane, really.

Are dealers limited supply so they want to horde cars and trucks and sell them to the highest sucker...I mean bidder.
Ever hear of NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association)? They are the trade and lobbying group for auto dealers. Yes, they create policies that add obstacles for consumers. Ever wonder why folks just can't buy a new car fully online from a website like you can order most things?

Old 06-14-2020, 08:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Right now, where I live it is called SUPPLY and DEMAND. They have NO supply, and if the demand is high, they do not have to haggle. I wouldn't either if I was a car dealer. I was at the dealer on Thursday for an oil change and there was ONLY ONE new 1500 truck on the lot; maybe two 3/4 or 1 ton.

As for financing, I have never heard of a dealer saying you have to finance per their demand, and if there is a rebate a rebate comes from the manufacturer not the dealer.

I would recommend shopping in another area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I suspect they are making business decisions. It's not unusual to see people here posting that car dealers won't give them a "reasonable" price, when what they clearly mean is they won't offer a vehicle at the price the poster wants to pay. If I am trying to sell something for $35,000, and my knowledge of the market leads me to believe that if I talk to enough customers I will probably get somewhere between $33-34,000 for it, why would I agree to sell it to you for $30,000 or $25,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Calling is the problem, most dealers don't want to discuss numbers over the phone because they don't view you as a serious buyer. They also don't want to give you info you can take to their competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
For several years now the innerwebs have convinced people that they should fight for every penny from the evil dealers and manufacturers. Nobody wants to pay too much obviously, but 'too much' is subjective. If folks want the convenience of 18 dealerships lined up on two miles of interstate, they need to realize that convenience comes with a cost.
Every one of the above posts, put together, explain EXACTLY the current situation.....

Old 06-14-2020, 08:19 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Save money, buy cash used. That simple. Suddenly, you have no concerns with such "problems".

As of basic business psychology and comradery, I have no doubt they stick together. After all, they all go to same golf courses.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
If a dealer doesn't return phone calls, talk money on the phone or generally want to make a deal with you, it's just because they're not a quality automobile dealer.

I went into a great car dealer last month because I got a $3,000 coupon from a manufacturer on the purchase of a vehicle. They had about a half dozen other sales incentive programs of which some didn't work with others. The captive finance company also paid the dealers if they sent them standard APR business. The manufacturer has a deal to waive payments for 3 months and they'd pay 3 payments--giving the buyer a 6 month lag in monthly payments.

But all of these programs come at a cost, and honestly no one at the dealership could easily tell me exactly the price. They had to go thru all the programs and give me 3 options.

I ended up financing the car with their captive finance source @ 5.99% APR. I saved $2,000 over taking one of the other two options. Now that I have the first billing, I'll go to my credit union and finance the payoff at more like 2.65% APR.

The auto business is a complicated one. Do what you want, but you'll never beat them at their own game. If a dealer's not willing to compete for your business, go find one that will. Unfortunately competition is fierce between dealerships and manufacturers--and just figuring a net price with so many options is difficult.

As far as the note previously mentioned about the NADA goes, they have nothing to do about the ways dealerships operate. They are a lobbying operation and keep track of prices paid for vehicles at national auctions. They do operate seminars where 20 like size dealers will meet in resorts and discuss their businesses--but the dealers themselves conduct the meetings. That's about it.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:56 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I hear right now they can't get new cars but they have to sell something to pay their overhead so they will give high prices for your clean late model trade in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive