Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 AM

50 posts, read 77,849 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I'm new to the Twin Cities and am super excited about the MN state fair coming in next week. I grew up with the NC State fair and I understand that it pales in comparison to this one.

I was wondering if there were any people that would be interested in getting together and going to the fair as a C-D group.

If so, respond here. We'll exchange contact info.

Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwanderer View Post
Hey folks,

I'm new to the Twin Cities and am super excited about the MN state fair coming in next week. I grew up with the NC State fair and I understand that it pales in comparison to this one.

I was wondering if there were any people that would be interested in getting together and going to the fair as a C-D group.

If so, respond here. We'll exchange contact info.

Thanks! Looking forward to it!
sounds like a lot of fun but I'm not into "joining up" and stuff especially after the brawl that occurred at our last CD get-together

however, look for me and say; "hi-ya"...I'll be dressed up like a fat lady stuffing fistfuls of Martha's cookies into my face, oblivious to the fact that I'm pushing my ear-piercing, double-wide baby stroller into the back of your heels.

avoid the last weekend if possible because of the crush of people, last year that 2nd Sunday set an all time daily attendance record of over 236,000 people. The attendance on the first Thursday and Friday or the following Tuesday and Wednesday are typically less than half that amount and the least crowded days.

just for the record, the Minnesota State Fair is the biggest and best state fair, texan high-hats be dam-ed...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Geez, there was a brawl?! I can promise I'm not the brawling type.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Welcome to the Cities, Packwanderer. I came from the Knoxville, Tennessee area myself, but I've lived in Minneapolis now for almost 20 years now. A country boy living in the city. That is not of God. But, I always hated long commutes and I worked in the city, so...

I'm not surprised there was a brawl. Unfortunately, not much surprises me anymore. Far too many folks online get carried away (to be read "addicted") to anonymity and raging at others over the slightest disagreements. (If C-D weren't as moderated as it is, it would be so much worse here.) This online attitude of anonymous and filterless way of speaking has bled into life offline. Combine that with the self-entitlement, entertainment-driven, and instant gratification world we live in and... you have expect anything.

You'll enjoy the State Fair. If I weren't going with my best friend this year, I'd definitely meet up with you. (I don't care for the group thing.) We used to go every year and now it's only once every two-to-three years. If something comes up, though, I'll come back and see if you're still free to go. I enjoy meeting up with new folks. It's a fun time and the second largest state fair in the country.

The Minnesota State Fair is all about the food. We have some doozy delicacies, that's for sure. State Fairs are expensive these days. ($13 admission. $10 if you buy in advance from Cub Foods.) I've come to limit myself to my Must Haves - Roasted Corn on the Cob, Fresh Squeezed Lemonade, Cheese Curds, Fried Green Tomatoes, and one new item if something catches my eye. This year, nothing does. So, I'll have another stand by - Deep Fried Pickle slices. It's the one day of the year I don't give a bats breath what I eat! Everything else is pretty standard for fair attractions.

I grew up in a large family that was poor. We rarely got to do anything because of the expense. So, when I'm at the state fair, the other thing I like doing is playing Bop-A-Mole until I win 10-12 prizes. (I'm good at it and it's a great way to relieve pent up frustration! Their prizes have usually been decent sized and quality stuffed animals.) Then, when I have a two good armloads (mine and my buddy's), I walk around looking for families that have three or more kids that aren't carrying anything. I let them each pick out the animal they want so they have something to take home from the fair... and it alleviates a bit of the financial strain from the parents (who are always very appreciative, as are the kids).

These are the two things I like to do at the fair - eat my favorites and give away toys. Other than that, I'll do whatever my buddy wants because I'm not fussy. If he wants to go look at pig poop, that's what we do.

As I'm sure you already know, the people watching is a phenomenon. They're not as Honey Boo-Boo as they can get back in your and my neck-of-the-woods, but we do still get all types.

I'm writing a novel currently, so my camera will be coming with me this year.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 AM

Hey plain, are you a Vols fan?

Well, have fun at the fair. PM me if you're interested in meeting up. And it's all about the food with me, too.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM

137 posts, read 225,609 times
I love the fair, but I'm not going this year; I swore I'd never go on a weekend again and I'm saving vacation for other events. I know it's un-Minnesotan of me.

Do not attempt to park at the fair. Do not even think about operating a motor vehicle anywhere near the fair. Just pay the $5 for the express bus nearest you. It's not that driving and parking are terrible, but the buses are really convenient.

Once you get to the fair, go directly to the Oink Booth and get your pig ears. You are not actually at the Minnesota State Fair until you are proudly wearing your pig ears. Then just start looking for the Sham Wow guy. Along the way, if it smells good, eat in it. If it smells bad, don't step in it. (Seriously, wear old shoes). If it sounds interesting, stop and listen. If a show is about to start, stop and watch. If it looks fun, ride it. There's such a variety of interesting activities and curiosities. You'll never get to them all. Just trust your pig ears. They know.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 AM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
I don't think some of you get Ghengis' sense of humor.

I agree about taking the bus to the fair. There are express buses from various parts of the metro area, plus there are park-and-ride lots closer to the fairgrounds where the buses are free.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shackleford View Post
...Do not attempt to park at the fair. Do not even think about operating a motor vehicle anywhere near the fair. Just pay the $5 for the express bus nearest you. It's not that driving and parking are terrible, but the buses are really convenient...
parking is a breeze by using the U of M Gortner ramp located near to the U's veterinarian buildings. Cheaper than the fair parking, I've never had to wait to get into the garage and it's just a few hundred yards to the least crowded entrance to the fairgrounds (behind the Midway) and at most a 4 minute walk. Use either Buford off of Cleveland or Gortner off of Larpenteur coming in from the northwest in the area of Hwy 36 and Cleveland. You will end up close enough to occasionally run your loot to the car which will also be parked out of the sun. There will also be no delay in leaving either, as long as you plan your route back to the northwest.

Gortner Avenue Ramp : Campus Maps, University of Minnesota TC

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1...&z=17&lci=bike

Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwanderer View Post
Hey plain, are you a Vols fan?

Well, have fun at the fair. PM me if you're interested in meeting up. And it's all about the food with me, too.
Unfortunately not. I enjoy playing sports but watching them has become too much of a religion, even more so than religion itself.

Will do. If you end up going by yourself (or with your dad), it's worth it, I promise. And, like someone else said, DEFINITELY take the city bus to the fair. Oh, dear God, yes.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:13 AM

148 posts, read 149,384 times
Ghengis is completely, without a doubt right on. I used to live/work a few blocks from there, and the Gortner is fantastic for parking for the fair...only a few (pleasant) blocks away, not too expensive, usually pretty empty during the summer, really really nice neighborhood. Also, just across the street from the U of M's Raptor Center, which (I think) is open during that time for tours and stuff.

I wish I could go to the fair this year...but I actually just moved out to California, so it's bad timing on my part. Still, it's a lot of fun, and absolutely HUGE. Just make sure you go the first few days when the grass isn't dead and the cows aren't dead-eyed from people touching them for 10 straight days. And, if you're like me and enjoy treating your gastrointestinal tract like garbage, there is a stand a few blocks south of the grandstand that does deep-fried candy bars that at first look like corn dogs but are somehow even better. Though just a heads up, if you have more than 2, you might die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul