Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Your over thinking this one. I would rather have sooty plugs then oily ones. You know the car better then anyone. Stick with the basics and do the full tune up. Fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter change, plugs and gap them, (iridium if possible) PVC valve, and thermostat (might no be coming up to temperature).

Check and double check everything for vacuum leaks. Make sure every electrical ground and positive connection is tight and clean. Next drive it like a granny for one tank of fuel just because it is geared for sport and you are trying to establish a base. Stick with the simple stuff to begin with and go back over what you changed recently.

You have a good repair manual and you know what to do. Here's a little book from years ago that has l list of great old school magic tricks that I used. You can probably get through this with a volt meter and a vacuum gauge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...17bc8f6b327112

On the Mazda forums they are saying that car does 22 city you need something to do this weekend anyway. Happy hunting.

You can also raise your code (pin style) reader bar if you want. I found a guy on you tube who makes troubleshooting a little easier for the folks who own OBD1 style (pin jumper code readers) Mazda. Here is the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOWFoGFKoDs

Here's where they sell them.

Diagnostic Tool - MX5 Tech

Welcome to the science fiction network.

Diagnostic Tool - MX5 Tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 08:51 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
I have a 90 GMC 4X4 which came with OBD 1.
I have never had a scanner; will the newer OBD2 scanners tell me anything useful?
For that matter, will they even connect to the plug?

Old 03-17-2020, 10:08 AM

Default Here is some interesting reading material on that subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have a 90 GMC 4X4 which came with OBD 1.
I have never had a scanner; will the newer OBD2 scanners tell me anything useful?
For that matter, will they even connect to the plug?

Here is some interesting reading material on that subject. Looks like OBD1 talks to OBD2 scanner readers. I'll bet the big box auto departments like NAPA, Auto Zone, etc. sell the adapters too. After getting the adapter you still need the ODB2 scanner.

https://www.google.com/searchclient=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

As it turns out Walmart sells the adapter from OBD1 to OBD2 for (8 Bucks). I guess everyone on this earth but me knew that.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...1990%20adapter

Looks like the OBD1 codes give quite a bit of information. Here is more Info for you classic car folks.

https://mechanicbase.com/trouble-code/obd1-codes/

Old 03-16-2021, 08:45 AM

Default Last week my cars warning light came on after getting gas so I plugged in the OBD2 scanner.

Quote:
I bought a new OBD2 engine trouble code reader scanner the other day. It's a plugin with live data and a USB connection.
The USB connection allows you to get software updates via the internet and update the OBD2 scanner. The USB connection also allows you to print or save the results of a frame freeze scan and to do research on the internet with that freeze frame information.

So what the big deal you ask? it cost 20 bucks shipped. I've carried a cheaper unit in my car for a lot of years and on cross country trips it has paid for itself a thousand times.

Good examples are making the mistake of stopping for gas in a discount gas stations and having your car throw a code within 50 miles of having filled up your tank. At that point you thank goodness your on a cross country trip and just continue on so you can get the problematic gas used up as soon as possible.

Or how about the trouble codes having to do with gasoline evaporation containment always turning out to be the gas cap needing to be tightened or replaced. Another example is the cheap spring loaded style clamps on the PVC valve and other evap hoses needing to just be replaced with screw style clamps that actually keep the gas in the evap system contained.

Then there's the oil control filters and vvt solenoid codes, clean or replace the filter, erase the code and your good to go.

It is always the little things and with live data and graphs on this new OBD2 engine code reader checking out the cars before a cross country trip will be a snap.

So this unit is called the nexpeak NX301 model. I'm not selling or endorsing these I'm just pointing out a great troubleshooting tool buy. The link below is a great introduction to OBD2 scanners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-6dkjMmQ4

Last week my cars warning light came on after getting gas so I plugged in the OBD2 scanner.

A year has passed since this thread was posted, but if you own a car this has probably happened to you.

So the engine trouble light came on and it could have been my fault because I know better.

The gas station was crowded 12 lanes wide (4 and 5 deep), it was the $2.49 a gallon that made the station busy.

The station's tanks were also being filled while I waited in line next to the gas tanker truck.

I usually try to avoid filling up when any stations tanks are being filled because,

the chances of getting water or sediment mixed in gas from the bottom of a stations tank increase at that point.

When the engine light came on the car wasn't running bad but with todays computerized sensors trouble can

be picked up long before it's noticeable to a driver.

The other good thing is the engine warning light was not flashing which means turn it off immediately.

In the end the engine code turned out to be an evaporative system leak, (an easy fix) a hose leak right next to evaporative system test port needed a new clamp.

After fixing the leak and clearing the code I again was thankful that a tool like the ODB2 scanner was in my tool box.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:57 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Someone gave me a FIXD code reader/scanner. I’ve been using it, but i really want the ELM327 with a certain software. I just haven’t gotten around to getting one. The FIXD is nice, but way too expensive for what you get. I didn’t pay for it though.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 PM

Default The OBD2 thread is short but has a lot of good information (lots to think about).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Someone gave me a FIXD code reader/scanner. I’ve been using it, but i really want the ELM327 with a certain software. I just haven’t gotten around to getting one. The FIXD is nice, but way too expensive for what you get. I didn’t pay for it though.
I'm a bit more conservative, I use the hard wired OBD2 scanner, for reasons mentioned in the thread and in the paper linked below.

Here is a link to a paper produced by Carnegie Mellon University which gives a nice summary about interfacing with Vehicle OBD2 connections and security considerations.

https://resources.sei.cmu.edu/asset_...001_453877.pdf

Think about all the updates on browsers, operating systems, bios re-flashing, smart phones, tablets and what the updates are for (security mainly). As vehicles evolve from year to year shouldn't an O.S. version complete with bios flash at factory default settings be available to the new vehicle owner. Phones and vehicle computers are expensive, incompatibilities are common just thinking about new vehicle owners understanding and including some important considerations when interacting with their cars electronics.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:40 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Depending on the vehicle Make, there is other software out there that allows you to do a LOT more than a standard OBD2 scanner will.

VAGCOM and ForScan are two (No jokes on the names)

I'm familiar with ForScan. It works on Ford/Lincolns and is free software. You just need a $20 ELM327 to USB connection to connect to your laptop. With it, you can pull OBD2 codes, read pids and record live data like a modern scanner. You can also read the DTC's on any of the modules as well. So if your seat heater is shutting off, you can read the DTC's on the seat module and see that it's seeing a "Seatback over temp condition" or other trouble.

You can also replace parts that require module reprogramming with it. For instance, a modern Ford Electric power steering rack will not work if you just simply swap it and plug it in. In needs to have the module programmed with specific code to tell it how to interact with the vehicle. You can do that with ForScan. You can also access various calibration subroutines that were previously only available with the dealer IDS.

You can also make specific changes to vehicle programming as well. For instance, on my Ford, I unlocked the Navigation. Just changed a few bits in the software and added the Nav MAP SD card and my non-Nav equipped car now has Nav. You can also make minor tweaks like turning on or off the DRL's, changing the number of turn signal flashes the car will do when you "half-press" the stalk and activate hidden menus that are in the software due to being used on a wide range of vehicles.

I don't know what other software exists for other makes because I've been primarily a Ford owner for the last few years, but with a little know-how it's pretty cool what you can do with your laptop in terms of troubleshooting ability and repairs.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:59 PM

Default I'm a lot more conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Depending on the vehicle Make, there is other software out there that allows you to do a LOT more than a standard OBD2 scanner will.

I'm familiar with ForScan. It works on Ford/Lincolns and is free software. You just need a $20 ELM327 to USB connection to connect to your laptop. With it, you can pull OBD2 codes, read pids and record live data like a modern scanner. You can also read the DTC's on any of the modules as well. So if your seat heater is shutting off, you can read the DTC's on the seat module and see that it's seeing a "Seatback over temp condition" or other trouble.

You can also replace parts that require module reprogramming with it. For instance, a modern Ford Electric power steering rack will not work if you just simply swap it and plug it in. In needs to have the module programmed with specific code to tell it how to interact with the vehicle. You can do that with ForScan. You can also access various calibration subroutines that were previously only available with the dealer IDS.

You can also make specific changes to vehicle programming as well. For instance, on my Ford, I unlocked the Navigation. Just changed a few bits in the software and added the Nav MAP SD card and my non-Nav equipped car now has Nav. You can also make minor tweaks like turning on or off the DRL's, changing the number of turn signal flashes the car will do when you "half-press" the stalk and activate hidden menus that are in the software due to being used on a wide range of vehicles.

I don't know what other software exists for other makes because I've been primarily a Ford owner for the last few years, but with a little know-how it's pretty cool what you can do with your laptop in terms of troubleshooting ability and repairs.
I'm a lot more conservative you can do all of those things from the steering wheel controls or the touch screen for the most part.

Now add in the OBD2 interface app via phone and Bluetooth connection, add the additional app syncing Sirius radio, FM etc, add the internet GPS downloads, Ford owner tutorial video downloads, voice control, etc. and you have a lot of lines of code that can disagree with each other.

Between the distractions and potential computer system related mishaps it will be interesting to watch the technology unfold.

Here is an example Video of Fords setup because you mentioned it, (all the cars are somewhat similar today) and he hasn't explained even 10% of the detail of what we are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7oks9kFSM

Old 03-19-2021, 12:43 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I used to have a VAG-COM cable. Two, actually. The old serial one that worked with a 2001 GTI was incompatible with a 2007 so I had to upgrade. All I have now is an ODB-2 tool to reprogram the TPMS sender serial numbers when I’m swapping snow tires. My car at 6 years has never had a fault code.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:32 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
So what the big deal you ask? it cost 20 bucks shipped. I've carried a cheaper unit in my car for a lot of years and on cross country trips it has paid for itself a thousand times.
Technology gets less expensive over time. I paid more for a 19" CRT TV in 1980 than a 55" OLED TV costs today. Why would anyone expect code scanners to be any different? A $20 code scanner isn't a big deal. In fact, it was entirely predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive