Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 01:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Saw a story about full size for door trucks and SUVs not able to fit in home garages unless the garage was built for such large vehicles or campers. Are these large trucks and SUVs longer than the land yachts of the 60s & 70s?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._road_vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 02:08 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And with gas prices by me at $1.88 a gallon selling small vehicles is a rough sell, and the EV market dose not look so hot now. That’s why GM and Ford have not put all their eggs in the EV market they still make ICE full-size pickups and SUVs and CUV’s. Unlike Tesla witch is solely a EV automaker.
Their focus on full-size pickups and SUVs and CUVs is also turning Ford and GM, much more GM though, into a regional automaker, rather than a global one.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:49 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Their focus on full-size pickups and SUVs and CUVs is also turning Ford and GM, much more GM though, into a regional automaker, rather than a global one.
If you haven’t noticed GM and Ford pretty much given up in Europe with both selling off their plants, GM getting rid of Opel and Holden, and Saab and Ford selling off Volvo , Jaguar, Land Rover the only place they are in global is China.

Last edited by easy62; 03-10-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
If you haven’t noticed GM and Ford pretty much given up in Europe wit both selling off their plants, GM getting rid of Opel and Holden, and Saab and Ford selling off Volvo , Jaguar, Land Rover the only place they are in global is China.
Yes, that’s why I said what I said. They kept on focusing on their full-size pickups, SUVs, and CUVs. They didn’t field strong contenders in other segments that are more popular elsewhere (and still sell in significant numbers here where Hyundai has gladly gobbled up alongside Japanese automakers). Instead of trying to rectify that, they just eliminated such from their lineup and pulled out of markets. GM is now having a terrible time in China, which while having had a downturn in the automotive market in general last year, had GM faring far worse than the Chinese industry average. They’re been increasingly putting their eggs in a single full-size US basket, and that carries immense risk.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-10-2020 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 04:15 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, that’s why I said what I said. They kept on focusing on their full-size pickups, SUVs, and CUVs. They didn’t field strong contenders in other segments that are more popular elsewhere (and still sell in significant numbers here where Hyundai has gladly gobbled up alongside Japanese automakers). Instead of trying to rectify that, they just eliminated such from their lineup and pulled out of markets. GM is now having a terrible time in China, which while having had a downturn in the automotive market in general last year, had GM faring far worse than the Chinese industry average. They’re been increasingly putting their eggs in a single full-size US basket, and that carries immense risk.
Yep but GM has been around a long time only time will tell, Tesla should worry about the low oil prices.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:16 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Full size pickups are certainly in favor today and even popular with soccer Moms in our neighborhood and general area. Gas prices are incredibly low and that is helping to support the existence of these vehicles. I could be mistaken, however it seems that everything seems to cycle and now with the coronavirus, I’m thinking the economy will really be hurt by this outbreak and many will be forced to scale things back financially.

Gas prices will probably remain low for the foreseeable future, however full size pickups are more expensive to maintain and perhaps the next cycle might transition away from the big and heavy and filter down to a more affordable and practical vehicle. Just thinking that might be the direction of the next trend.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yep but GM has been around a long time only time will tell, Tesla should worry about the low oil prices.
Sure, I guess, but it’s not like public concern about fuel economy has been massive over the last several years. I doubt that’s what’s driving the sales of what are essentially luxury vehicles, and EU and Chinese regulators are legislating on emissions not the price of fuel.

Besides, I don’t think Tesla will ever release a vehicle that I’m personally into since they don’t have any offerings or plans to make offerings in any of the types of vehicles I really like. However, I love Camaros and if GM keeps puts itself in the same idiotic positions that it’s done not so long ago and goes down, they’ll be taking down Camaros with it, and that is plenty for me to be riled up about.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:30 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I hate all them big tanks. We need to bring back S10 size trucks.
Yes! "Medium" trucks today are the size of my old 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 - never mind a new Sierra.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:36 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
My folks once bought a new Buick sedan and didn't bother to check the length against the garage space. It turned out to be about 8 inches too long to fit. My dad was all ready to tear out the back wall that separated a utility room, but my mother talked some sense into him. The Buick dealer got together with a Chevrolet dealer and they traded cars and split the commission. My folks ended up with a Chevy sedan that fit the space.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There are million dollar homes in Seattle built in the early 1900s with detached garages that won't fit a Camry. Many people have 2-3 vehicles and one or more will not ever be garaged. Drive up and down the streets here and there many cars/trucks parked in driveways and along the residential streets. Garages are mostly used for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive