Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 01:33 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

https://jalopnik.com/it-is-extremely...now-1842455817

Dealers, I wrote last week, are in a bit of bind, with a lot of people not buying new cars in the face of potential economic doom, and showrooms mostly vacant as people social distance themselves amid a global pandemic. It’s probably going to only get worse.

It’s hard to know what to start with in this new Automotive News story about how bad dealerships have it, but maybe let’s start with some numbers:

J.D. Power predicted a 1.7 percent decline in the daily selling rate for March, and the week ending March 8 was about as expected. But then, over the next four days, sales trailed the projected pace by 8 percent. Then, on March 13 and March 14, the deficit grew to 20 percent, and by March 15, it was 36 percent below the baseline projection.

J.D. Power is forecasting March sales will drop as much as 41 percent from a year ago. The company initially predicted U.S. sales of 16.8 million this year, but its new forecast is between 14 million and 16 million.

And here is the problem on the ground level, where people who might have purchased cars even a week ago are pulling the plug, even sometimes after telling dealers that they would but before signing. A new Chevy Equinox was the casualty in one such deal, though if we’re being honest that was probably for the better.

Since March 13, the coronavirus has cost the group four sales.

One man knew that his retirement savings had taken a hit and was no longer able to commit to the purchase of a new Chevrolet Equinox, [Aaron Koehn, owner of Ed Koehn Automotive Group near Grand Rapids, Michigan] said.

“He hadn’t signed anything yet, but he still felt terrible because he had made a commitment to us,” Koehn said.

Another customer, who had nearly completed a deal, backed out because his hotel job went from full time to part time because of the pandemic. A new car was no longer in his budget. Koehn said customers are scared of their current financial state and unsure how they will come out of the situation.

“We’re all feeling this together, so it’s hard not to have some compassion,” he said.

And in East Texas, where Fernando Varela has three Ford dealerships and one Chevrolet-Buick-GMC-Cadillac store, business was humming along until Wednesday, March 18. That’s when “traffic just stopped,” Varela said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 01:43 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Like a lot of businesses they'll need to work something out with their creditors, whom I'm guessing would probably rather have a going concern debtor who's a bit behind but has a plan to get back on track than take on a bunch of collateral in the form of real estate and automotive inventory they'll have a hell of a time unloading. The good news is unlike strictly discretionary items like dining/entertainment/leisure travel, etc., the automotive industry is one for which there is always pent-up demand once an economy rebounds. People with old cars being held together with chewing gum and zip ties will have to replace their hoopties sooner or later. It's a matter of whether the dealership has the resources and arrangements to let them ride it out until then. There will certainly be a higher percentage of them coming out the other side intact than restaurants and hotels and the like.

Last edited by Bitey; 03-23-2020 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-23-2020, 02:36 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57633628-post43.html

I was out and about at 4 dealers and am actively looking. 0 deals to be had and I had all 4 dealerships to myself on a Saturday.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:39 PM

I just could not imagine being out now looking for a new automobile given the state of things.

“J.D. Power is forecasting March sales will drop as much as 41 percent from a year ago”.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being even higher than 41 percent.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57633628-post43.html

I was out and about at 4 dealers and am actively looking. 0 deals to be had and I had all 4 dealerships to myself on a Saturday.
We were in the market for a new car and while I could spend the money as it’s already allocated for that purchase I’m not going to. We can go years on the cars we have. And I own them outright.

There will be a shortage of cars also as the CV19 pretty much killed all vehicle production and it’s gonna take time for it to come back. It’s gonna be interesting who gives in first. The consumer or the manufacturer.

Unless they start doing 0 percent loans to everyone just to get cash flowing I feel like only buyers with money and jobs will buy.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:51 PM

I don’t see there being a shortage of cars when things finally turned around as consumers are going to be highly reluctant to spend.

I look for 0% financing as it has been used previously to be the norm for all manufacturers possibly for the rest of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
We were in the market for a new car and while I could spend the money as it’s already allocated for that purchase I’m not going to. We can go years on the cars we have. And I own them outright.

There will be a shortage of cars also as the CV19 pretty much killed all vehicle production and it’s gonna take time for it to come back. It’s gonna be interesting who gives in first. The consumer or the manufacturer.

Unless they start doing 0 percent loans to everyone just to get cash flowing I feel like only buyers with money and jobs will buy.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
That's who buys cars at any rate.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
I don’t see there being a shortage of cars when things finally turned around as consumers are going to be highly reluctant to spend.

I look for 0% financing as it has been used previously to be the norm for all manufacturers possibly for the rest of the year.
It’s gonna take a lot of time to crank the assembly lines. Remember everything was shut down. So you can’t build cars until your parts supply cranks back up. Cars are still gonna get wrecked stolen and break down. People will still need replacement vehicles.
0% financing will for sure be the sales pitch for the rest of the year no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
That's who buys cars at any rate.
Really...you really think so huh? Because I don’t. I see plenty of people who drive really nice cars but don’t actually make the job to support that vehicle. I had helpers making $20 a hour coming to jobsites driving 45k pick ups. All with astronomical payments.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:44 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
My Lexus lease is up in 2 months and my plan is to buy it out as my residual is about 4K under market value. I can get 2.75% at my local credit union, but now with 0% deals out there, I may shop around online to see what kind of deals there are to be had.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Really...you really think so huh?
Yeah, I do.

Quote:
I see plenty of people who drive really nice cars but don’t actually make the job to support that vehicle. I had helpers making $20 a hour coming to jobsites driving 45k pick ups. All with astronomical payments.
Well now you've moved the goalposts from "people who have jobs" to "people who have jobs that pay what I think can support the car they drive." Unless you're the lender, what YOU think is irrelevant.

Last edited by Bitey; 03-23-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive