Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
WOW! He must really love the excursion. I will admit I really really like those too and the 7.3 is a great one. Hard to find and they are beasts! Maybe thats what I need to find my boy for his first car! LOL... He loves to find the curb so this ride would be forgiving...

As for that 96 f150, I am going to call about it and just see what the story is. It is a beautiful truck and is pristine but I wouldn't be interested in it personally for anything close to that price. But I am curious as its been for sale all year.
Oh yeah when he first said what he’s buying I think i may of spit my coffee out and called him a F’ing moron. Then I got serious and really started flipping out. What makes it worse is he doesn’t really have that kind of money. But hey ultimately it’s his money his life.

That truck could simply be a showroom bait. Lots of dealers have well preserved cream puffs that are mainly for show. I was at a Buick dealer and they had a GN in the showroom for 78,000. It never sold but I don’t think the owner really wanted to sell it. Dealer may just have it as a hey look at this. If it sells it sells if it doesn’t it’s a showroom piece.

You need to get him a 1988-1994 or 1995-2000 Chevy GMT400 chassi. You can get a 25/3500 for less than 5k for a well maintained one. They are cheap and parts are plentiful and it’s easy to work on. The 1988-1994 TBI models are caveman simple to work on. The single cab long bed is the cheapest least sought after body style. If it’s a work truck get a single cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 05:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
those are great. I really like that 06 f150. I would however be leary of buying something that has lived in a salt state. I once bought a 3 year old auto from Ohio and it was falling apart about year 6. Not so much the body, but a few of hoses, pumps, suspension, motor mounts, etc failed all prematurely..
Don't buy any Ford with the 5.4 engine, they are pure junk (although the 4.6 is okay). The have serious issues with the cam phasers and once they start rattling you'll need a whole new engine.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:35 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Don't buy any Ford with the 5.4 engine, they are pure junk (although the 4.6 is okay). The have serious issues with the cam phasers and once they start rattling you'll need a whole new engine.
5.4 2v is a lot better engine that the 3v with the VVT. The 2V didn't have VVT or the problems the 3v has. The only thing was spark plugs as well as some of the 4.6 but that was an easy fix. The 4.6 2v is pretty good engine with many examples that have many reliable miles.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
5.4 2v is a lot better engine that the 3v with the VVT. The 2V didn't have VVT or the problems the 3v has. The only thing was spark plugs as well as some of the 4.6 but that was an easy fix. The 4.6 2v is pretty good engine with many examples that have many reliable miles.
Yeah I just ordered the CalVan kit to do all my plugs as a preventative thing on my Crown Vic. I gotta put new plugs in it as 60/80k is the recommended intervals. And from the people I talk to say the plugs can strip going in or out I figure might as well do it now rather than wait till they start popping. The kit was 230 bucks. I expect about 3 hours to do the job.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:27 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Most everything a pickup can do, a small car with a tow hitch and a utility trailer can do.

Not everyone who wants a pickup, needs a pickup.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:49 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Most everything a pickup can do, a small car with a tow hitch and a utility trailer can do.

Not everyone who wants a pickup, needs a pickup.
Not to easy to pull a trailer with a FWD small car is it, we’re do you put the hitch on a unibody frame, not many RWD cars out there anymore with a body on frame to mount a Reese Hitch.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:51 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Not to easy to pull a trailer with a FWD small car is it, where do you put the hitch on a unibody frame, not many RWD cars out there anymore with a body on frame to mount a Reese Hitch.
I certainly can't speak about all small cars, but I know lots of VW Golfs and Jettas are used for towing. I see lots of Subarus with tow hitches.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah I just ordered the CalVan kit to do all my plugs as a preventative thing on my Crown Vic. I gotta put new plugs in it as 60/80k is the recommended intervals. And from the people I talk to say the plugs can strip going in or out I figure might as well do it now rather than wait till they start popping. The kit was 230 bucks. I expect about 3 hours to do the job.
I have done the plugs twice on my F150 and I didn't have a problem with the plugs breaking or stripping. I have a 2005 with 4.6 2v. I change plugs at 100K (i used the motor craft platinums) and I also replace the fuel filter and coils at the 100K. Next time it will be when it hits 300K.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
How can a 25-30+ year old truck be worth $8-10,000 ?? That seems like A LOT of money. I have a 02 Lariat Super crew F150 with low miles and I have seen similar trucks with more miles selling on lots for around $5000.

That is a sharp looking truck you posted the link to but $30,000 !! you can buy a brand new basic truck for that.

Trucks can be a tough market especially when gas prices are so low. If the truck has been taken care of they command a high price. Even when they have been worked hard they still hold their value pretty good but there has to be something out there that is a good fit for your son. I'd say keep looking.
If it got the 7.3 and is decent condition, it can be.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:46 AM

200 posts, read 174,331 times
I found quite a few extended cab f 150s on the facebook market place. I had to create an account to see them but that seems to be the place people are posting the most. There are 5x the amount of what I am looking for there and none of them are over $8k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive