Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:22 AM

686 posts, read 808,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s not a abomination. It’s a clean truck and it’s a dealer. They can finance it. First of all you need to look at trucks that aren’t highly sought after as collectible. You’re not looking at a run of the mill truck. You’re looking at a 1996 F150 4x4 that has 66,000 miles on it. That’s not a work truck any longer. You’re looking at what’s basically a classic vehicle now and you’re expecting to buy it for wholesale blue book. You can pick up a truck like that for 5-7k out here. More miles but usually pretty clean trucks can be had for 7k

I have a 1989 GMC SLE RWD short bed single cab and it’s externally rough. I have people right now leaving notes on my fence offering 3-3500 cash.

There was a lady here who had her dads old square body Chevy. Clean truck. I think she got a pretty good amount. I told her to hold out cause she could get more than what was originally estimated or offered.

Lots of these “old” trucks are very popular.

Wanna buy your son a good truck? Get him a 1989-1994 Chevy with a TBI 350. Those things are caveman simple. Look for a single cab long bed (4x4 if you need 4x4). Nobody wants that body style.

You can buy and rebuild a truck like that for a lot less than 30k

Bold

As the price of new trucks gets higher i expec5 well maintained clean low mile trucks will keep going up in value

There is no way they will pull that kind of money for that truck. For one ita not a true “classic” yet. Very nice but for $30k not a chance. And unless the dealer is going to finance themselves which they don’t, no bank is financing a truck that is 24 years old. I think it’s probably an employee looking to make a killing. Too many options out there in that price point. $30k is laughable- even with the 5.8L v8. If that truck was under $15k it would creat a discussion for serious buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 07:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,610,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
There is no way they will pull that kind of money for that truck. For one ita not a true “classic” yet. Very nice but for $30k not a chance. And unless the dealer is going to finance themselves which they don’t, no bank is financing a truck that is 24 years old. I think it’s probably an employee looking to make a killing. Too many options out there in that price point. $30k is laughable- even with the 5.8L v8. If that truck was under $15k it would creat a discussion for serious buyers.
What’s with all the no way, not a, never negativity? Just because you or I or someone else may see it as a ridiculous priced item doesn’t mean everyone sees it like that. Or because it sells for x amount “in my area “ doesn’t mean that’s the selling price everywhere. You would be surprised what people are willing to pay to buy something they like. Lots of people who have stupid money.

One thing I learned is to never say never. A buddy bought a 7.3 excursion for $25,000 plus tax and license. Dealer wouldn’t budge on the price at all. I thought it was a ridiculous price to pay. I told him he’s nuts. Clean condition low mile Excursions sell for the price he paid where he lived. Out here it would be about 20% less. But it’s 2300 mile difference. Dealer might negotiate on this truck. It’s far easier to lower the price a little and negotiate it out than to raise the price later in negotiations.
He was able to get financing. Lots of people buy classic cars and I’m sure some are financed and some bank somewhere does these loans. And I bet dealers know of them. If you can insure a old car you can get financing for it. Your typical modern Wells Chase of America bank may not do it but some bank will. And the dealer may finance it of it’s a well known customer or buyer.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-03-2020 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2020, 06:09 AM

200 posts, read 175,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What’s with all the no way, not a, never negativity? Just because you or I or someone else may see it as a ridiculous priced item doesn’t mean everyone sees it like that. Or because it sells for x amount “in my area “ doesn’t mean that’s the selling price everywhere. You would be surprised what people are willing to pay to buy something they like. Lots of people who have stupid money.

One thing I learned is to never say never. A buddy bought a 7.3 excursion for $25,000 plus tax and license. Dealer wouldn’t budge on the price at all. I thought it was a ridiculous price to pay. I told him he’s nuts. Clean condition low mile Excursions sell for the price he paid where he lived. Out here it would be about 20% less. But it’s 2300 mile difference. Dealer might negotiate on this truck. It’s far easier to lower the price a little and negotiate it out than to raise the price later in negotiations.
He was able to get financing. Lots of people buy classic cars and I’m sure some are financed and some bank somewhere does these loans. And I bet dealers know of them. If you can insure a old car you can get financing for it. Your typical modern Wells Chase of America bank may not do it but some bank will. And the dealer may finance it of it’s a well known customer or buyer.
WOW! He must really love the excursion. I will admit I really really like those too and the 7.3 is a great one. Hard to find and they are beasts! Maybe thats what I need to find my boy for his first car! LOL... He loves to find the curb so this ride would be forgiving...

As for that 96 f150, I am going to call about it and just see what the story is. It is a beautiful truck and is pristine but I wouldn't be interested in it personally for anything close to that price. But I am curious as its been for sale all year.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 AM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
So I guess $305,000 for a 72 Blazer isn't happening either? Hint: It just did

https://******************/listing/1...let-blazer-17/

https://******************/listing/1994-ford-f-150-8/
Closer to reality for most but the truck is way too nice to cut grass in

wow no hot links to BRING A TRAILER dot COM

Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 AM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
Hi All-

I am in the market for my soon to be 16 yo son. He needs a truck as he has quite a few lawn customers that he will need to take care of. Anywho, his first choice is a square body ext cab f150( 1987-1997). I have found a few and dont mind the high miles as they are easy to fix but does $8-10k for a 25 year old basic work truck seem right? Granted I have not locked on to one and negotiated. Is that the going rate for these now? If so, then we will open up the model search with the intent to find used 1st gen tundra, crew cab tacoma, or maybe even a square body chevy.

On a side note: look at this abomination of an asking price! $30k!!!! Really great clean truck for maybe 1/3 the asking price..

Any insight is appreciated.

A buddy in St Louis just sold a 90's Dodge Dakota for $1300. Reg cab, 2WD that ran/drove but it was a beater. That is what Fastball Jr. needs for cutting grass.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ct...108041141.html

Put a Maaco paint job on it/ buy a new seat cover and the 88 Sierra will be ready to mow! I'd offer 1/2 the $2500 asking price, out the leftover funds to the paint/interior improvements.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,015,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
Hi All-
Any insight is appreciated.

It's right here: LINK

That's how I found my truck. My 2002 looks and drives like new with zero issues. Had to fly to get it.
Then I oil undercoat it every year. Zero rust up here in hill and mountain and salt country.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It's right here: LINK

That's how I found my truck. My 2002 looks and drives like new with zero issues. Had to fly to get it.
Then I oil undercoat it every year. Zero rust up here in hill and mountain and salt country.
Thats a nice rig... He will need an extended cab at a min. Once with a decent size back seat, not a jumper. Ive never purchased a car from ebay... How does that work exactly? I would assume like carvana except I either pay to have it shipped to me or go pick it up myself.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
A buddy in St Louis just sold a 90's Dodge Dakota for $1300. Reg cab, 2WD that ran/drove but it was a beater. That is what Fastball Jr. needs for cutting grass.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ct...108041141.html

Put a Maaco paint job on it/ buy a new seat cover and the 88 Sierra will be ready to mow! I'd offer 1/2 the $2500 asking price, out the leftover funds to the paint/interior improvements.
FB jr... that was good. My neighbor did exactly what you just said. had a nice square body chevy lifted a bit, put a new maaco paint job on it and it was great. sold it last year for like 4-5k. Wish I was in the market then. Sold it within a few days.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times
Pickup prices are based on location were i live you can get decent used pickups at a decent price.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/c...108086840.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...117244329.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...108510256.html

Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
those are great. I really like that 06 f150. I would however be leary of buying something that has lived in a salt state. I once bought a 3 year old auto from Ohio and it was falling apart about year 6. Not so much the body, but a few of hoses, pumps, suspension, motor mounts, etc failed all prematurely..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive