Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for a small/medium sized 4WD or AWD SUV for occasional light off-road use in the mountains. I have a FWD Honda CR-V but I really want something with more ground clearance and power to all four wheels. Above all else, the vehicle would need to have a reasonably comfortable suspension for long highway trips.

Anyone here have recommendations?? Or, is there a good off-road forum that you know of?

Thanks for any help!!!
Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

Good off road capability with decent fuel economy.

Mine's been on several 2000 mile road trips and it's been very comfortable. BUT, if you'll have more than 2 travelers, the back seat is a little cramped for adults. OK for kids, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 10:23 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The 4Runner is great for off-road use, but you said that would be only "occasional." Its poor handing and unforgiving ride make it horrible for highway driving, which seems to be your greater usage. You will hate it on the road. Try a Grand Cherokee.
4Runners are comfortable on the highway, better than most cars I've ridden in lately. Handling is good too. I have zero complaints, even with a 2 inch lift.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
The OP said "occasional light off-road use" and I think just about any SUV/Crossover would be fine for that. I went to the Wrangler/Bronco recommendations strictly due to those vehicles having a little more ride height and the fact they are smaller SUV's.
He has a CUV, and wants more clearance.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:42 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
4Runners are comfortable on the highway, better than most cars I've ridden in lately. Handling is good too. I have zero complaints, even with a 2 inch lift.

I recently test drove the 4Runner and about 20 other medium size SUV's. The ride and handling of the five 4Runner's that I drove were inferior to everything else I tried. Most reviews support my findings. The OP is very unlikely to be happy with this vehicle.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:55 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
He has a CUV, and wants more clearance.
Did you even read what I wrote?

Let me try this again:

The OP said "occasional light off-road use" and I think just about any SUV/Crossover would be fine for that. I went to the Wrangler/Bronco recommendations strictly due to those vehicles having a little more ride height and the fact they are smaller SUV's.

I specifically noted the suggestions I chose were due to those having more clearance.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:00 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
I recently test drove the 4Runner and about 20 other medium size SUV's. The ride and handling of the five 4Runner's that I drove were inferior to everything else I tried. Most reviews support my findings. The OP is very unlikely to be happy with this vehicle.
The 4Runner is one of the few truly off road capable SUV's and has a body on frame construction. The Jeep Wrangler is another one.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:34 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

Good off road capability with decent fuel economy.

Mine's been on several 2000 mile road trips and it's been very comfortable. BUT, if you'll have more than 2 travelers, the back seat is a little cramped for adults. OK for kids, though.
Fuel Economy on the renegade is no where near what it should be though. I had one for about 6 months, and never got above 20 mpg. The engine is also a bit under powered. The new 2020 with the turbo might be a bit better though, but even then there are much better choices for the money.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Fuel Economy on the renegade is no where near what it should be though. I had one for about 6 months, and never got above 20 mpg. The engine is also a bit under powered. The new 2020 with the turbo might be a bit better though, but even then there are much better choices for the money.

Mine's a 2017 with almost 30K miles, so far.

Avg mpg according to the internal meter is 25.9.

Now, I admit to feather footing it most of the time. And on the road, I set the cruise control at a couple mph over the limit and let it roll. I also fill it up with non-ethanol gas whenever possible, which isn't very often around here. But the NE gas gives it a 10% boost in mileage.

Last edited by Old Gringo; 05-29-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 12:20 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
This was my thought on the 4Runner as well. I test drove one before I bought my Grand Cherokee and while it was ok, my GC had a better ride. I've since replaced that particular GC twice over and the Runner doesn't hold a candle to my current one. Air suspension, smoother ride, more comfortable seats, easier electronics and a V8, with "real" AWD too. Then again, I'm not rock crawling in it either. I drive in the snow, fields, fire roads and the oddball muddy road.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:09 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I've driven almost nothing but Foresters for 20 years, although we did have an Outback as a second vehicle for a couple of years. I do a lot of camping/canoeing in some fairly rough places, places where you aren't going to get in and out of with a Camry or an Impala without leaving part of your exhaust system behind. The Forester has been the perfect vehicle for me. Also, if you live in a place that has winter, it's the best vehicle I've ever driven for snow and ice.

The Outback is a little longer and very slightly wider than the Forester, but the Forester is 5 or 6 inches taller, which I find makes for significantly better sight lines and visibility, plus a more comfortable driving experience - I feel like I have much better road awareness. Ground clearance is the same, but the Forester has a little more cargo space. Peoples' needs and tastes vary, but for our purposes, there's no aspect of the Outback that beats out the Forester.
OK, thanks for the insight!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive