Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 09:47 PM

961 posts, read 2,505,295 times

Advertisements

Maybe its just what I see from my little corner of the world. But it appears to me that the types of cars mentioned in my title seem to be losing interest from the public. I have owned about everything...a street rod, couple of antiquers, a muscle car...even some old tractors and military vehicles. Even outside and before our current crises...it just seems the under 40 crowd is kinda "whatever" about these types of vehicles. Yes..there will always be a few who buck the trend...but from what I have seen over the last few years..the times are a changin.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:27 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
It is something for most, too expensive. It is not like there is no interest, it is just for most, they are never going to be able to afford one, or want to spend on it.

When they hit 40 and over, usually they have less obligations and more means to engage in things they never did or could afford, like a classic car that will sit 99% of the year.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Most of the people that like my XR4Ti are under 40.

The young'uns are into the turbos and it's not an expensive car.
Affording something like it isn't a pipe dream.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Many people no longer have knowledge to repair, knowledge of the history / background, or interest. (Too many 'easier' hobbies to follow).

My kids have collector vehicles, but certainly not the level of interest or use of 30-50 yrs ago.

Internet changed a lot of interests, social media devastated special interest groups and wastes a lot of time / intellect that previously was used for creativity and hobbies.

Music, literature, libraries, sports, and community service / volunteering are all going down.

For autos.... It is nearly impossible to find the level of mechanical support needed from shops and parts stores. Collector clubs are changing demographic from fix-it people to strictly buy something that is already restored, and don't (can't) turn a wrench. Exceptions exist.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:13 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
I'm under 40 and have 2 such cars in my garage. I'm a member of a few forums, and there's a number of owners in the 30-50 range, and there are always folk in their 20's and early 30's coming in with questions.

I would say money is usually one of the gating issues. Can't tell you the number of times I've gotten feedback out in public from the 20-something crowd, but usually with a "one day I want to own something like that" comment.

Most of the car shows I go to do feature plenty of modified cars, but these cars also require $$$ to do so. As a result, most are owned by 30-somethings and older who have the disposable income to spend on such vehicles. Most of the high-HP complex builds are owned by 40 and 50 year olds. I think I've spent $10k in modifications int he past year on my car alone. How many 20-something year olds have that sort of disposable income right now after they buy the car?

Cars are also getting harder to modifiy. That's fine, I see people who show up in 100% stock cars these days...but again, how many 20-somethings can buy a GT350? I usually see car shows attended by older folks, but plenty of younger guys walking through checking out the cars.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:30 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
Movies like the Fast and Furious series have kept cars in the spotlight for the younger generation but I think most of them don't really care about putting a car together because it is too much money AND they lack the tools and talent and interest to do it.

I'm a middle aged guy and I bought a Factory Five Racing Cobra kit, my dream car 22 years ago. It was a challenge to put it together with my limited mechanical knowledge but that car still puts a smile on my face.

When I attend car shows it is rare to see guys and girls under 30. Interest in custom cars and tinkering on them is fading just as another hobby I enjoy, model trains is.

The "kids" just don't like to tinker on things anymore.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:40 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,434,369 times
Just like cars, model trains are very expensive. Was 4 years ago in a hobby shop, Seen a nice locomotive and said, 95 dollar, dat is not cheap. The owner was standing right by me. He said.. no no... It costs 950 dollar....

Just like a nice car. And they are getting more and more expensive because the don't built m.anymore.

If I see a car show I wil stop and spend a few hours.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
there are a number of reasons these days why enthusiasm for cars is waning, expense, federal and state laws, even local ordinances that make it difficult to modify your car, the initial cost of the cars today, etc.

add to that anticruising ordinances, bully cops who will find a reason to give you a ticket, legitimate or not, the internet, hand held game systems, etc. and you will be hard pressed to find young people that want to get into cars as a hobby.

on top of all that, there seems to be s lack of creativity these days, along with a lack of skills and can do attitude in young people these days. back in the day when we worked on our cars, we would rebuild old parts to make them work, today its easier and sometimes cheaper to just replace the part in question. heck i remember taking switches apart and cleaning the contacts inside to get them working again.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:28 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Maybe its just what I see from my little corner of the world. But it appears to me that the types of cars mentioned in my title seem to be losing interest from the public. I have owned about everything...a street rod, couple of antiquers, a muscle car...even some old tractors and military vehicles. Even outside and before our current crises...it just seems the under 40 crowd is kinda "whatever" about these types of vehicles. Yes..there will always be a few who buck the trend...but from what I have seen over the last few years..the times are a changin.'
How many 18 year olds can change a tire today?

Hot rods were created when a kid wanted to go faster and couldn't afford to buy something off the showroom floor, so he built it.

I have 3 "20 somethings" that work for me and they struggle to wash the work trucks! They drive junk cars, literally don't do any maintenance. Pay for oil changes/pay to change a battery etc. Crazy part is all of that stuff can be researched online, watch a youtube video on how to do it!

If you don't own the tools or know how to use them then you will never work on anything from a lawnmower to a car/truck.

Kids today have the best iphone but yet drive junk so I suspect the car hobby will die a slow death with every decade that passes.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:32 AM

961 posts, read 2,505,295 times
Thanks for the input from all....and if I can add to that. After working for Uncle Sam...many years ago..I got in a machinist training program. While I later jumped into being a LEO...I also built up a small, but nicely equipped shop. I can't count the number of 20-50 yr old guys that have approached me..."My father/grandfather had this lathe that works on metal...and I have no idea how to/(or often) even care to use it." Its disconcerting how many younger people lack any kind of mechanical skill(and that includes even much simpler tools).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive