Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 08:29 AM

10,369 posts, read 6,923,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Question - if you have tinted your vehicle did you regret doing it? How has it helped in super hot weather in terms of interior temps when the car has been sitting out in the sun? Did you tint the front windshield as well (I know it's not legal in some places - I live in TX btw so it looks like front windshield can be tinted to 25% VLT).

What % tint did you go with, I want to tint all windows but don't want it completely blacked out, also want good outside visibility for a passenger from the inside. Is 25% VLT tint throughout good?
The front windshield can be tinted? (Beyond what the OEM's are allowed?) Wow, had no idea. Thought it was a Federal DOT reg. I got some searching to do, it appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:24 AM

15,571 posts, read 7,590,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Question - if you have tinted your vehicle did you regret doing it? How has it helped in super hot weather in terms of interior temps when the car has been sitting out in the sun? Did you tint the front windshield as well (I know it's not legal in some places - I live in TX btw so it looks like front windshield can be tinted to 25% VLT).

What % tint did you go with, I want to tint all windows but don't want it completely blacked out, also want good outside visibility for a passenger from the inside. Is 25% VLT tint throughout good?
Texas is 25% above the AS-1 line, not the entire windshield. There is a DPS website https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/con...windowtint.htm

Old 08-11-2020, 12:29 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,247,789 times
No regrets at all. I've had metallic tint on my cars owned prior to 2013. I would generally tint the back glass to fairly dark, the rear windows pretty dark, and the front windows to barely dark. I can't remember the percentage, but I was trying to add some heat protection while making the front windows appear not tinted by having an obvious contrast between the front and rear window tint (don't want to get hassled with a fix-it ticket in California).

In 2015, we added two EVs to our garage and keeping the heat absorption is more relevant to extending the driving range...especially on our 83-mile range Fiat 500e; our 250-mile range Tesla is less dramatic but every little bit helps. We went with ceramic tint for both cars and even did a a clear ceramic tint on the windshield. It doesn't reject all heat, but it slows down the help absorption dramatically. For example, prior to tinting it might take 8 minutes for the cabin to hit 100 degrees on a sunny day. After tinting under the same conditions, it'll take 15 minutes for the cabin to hit 100 degrees. That might not sound all that different, but it makes a huge difference. The AC probably works about 30-40% less hard. I've been so spoiled with ceramic tint that I'm intolerant to non-ceramic tint when I'm driving a rental car.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:49 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,836,969 times
When I had my 94 Integra, which I drove for 20 yrs, the tint started peeling in the back where the defroster wires were. The tint color also noticeable changed. Pretty sure it wasn't ceramic since we didnt pay that much. Lesson learned ... dont go cheap.

In all those yrs, only 1 shop did a tint measurement during annual inspection.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,654,108 times
Reading some of these other posts, how in the world do you people drive at night with 5% tint?!!!

5% is the darkest vehicle tint that is manufactured, although its not really street legal in any state, tint % laws vary considerably from state to state, but its not widely enforced.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:28 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,431,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Reading some of these other posts, how in the world do you people drive at night with 5% tint?!!!

5% is the darkest vehicle tint that is manufactured, although its not really street legal in any state, tint % laws vary considerably from state to state, but its not widely enforced.
What do you mean how? Same as always, it does not change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive