Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 09:44 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,186,713 times

Advertisements

Wait, Toyota fans all say Toyotas are good for 200,000 miles with no mechanical problems, they are that good! How can this be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 10:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,730,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Wait, Toyota fans all say Toyotas are good for 200,000 miles with no mechanical problems, they are that good! How can this be?
Anything can have a coolant leak. I had to replace the radiator in my 2002 Tundra a couple of years ago at 198k miles.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,830,778 times
Quote:
Cars need maintenance.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:47 AM

9,552 posts, read 4,378,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I was adding coolant every two weeks, very small amounts directly to the radiator so I thought it was okay to do that until I could get it repaired. I had replaced the radiator eight years ago. I was saving up for the repair.

The last time it cost a little under $200 and now the damage is most likely much worse. I just didn't realize adding coolant over a few month time frame was the wrong choice.

You tried to do what the right thing. Unfortunately, it sounds like the leak my have gotten worse over time, so your regular filling routine wasn't enough to keep sufficient coolant in the system. We all make mistakes, sometimes expensive ones. I'm sorry this happened to you, but you should be prepared for a very expensive repair bill.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:47 AM

760 posts, read 771,819 times
Once your engine overheats just once, it can cause internal damage like a cracked or warped head or head gasket- either of which will start leaking coolent and or oil where it shouldnt be, if coolent leaks into the oil it turns the oil a grey/brownish milkshake like color.

Loss of the heater is a first sign of low coolent in the radiator.

I had an 89 Corsica that had a blown head gasket after it overheated, I wasnt going to bother with an engine overhaul, but I kept it going by adding radiator stop-leak to the coolent, it would stop the leak for a while, it went on for many months, just kept adding more stop leak and changing the oil. I drove the car like that with probably 100% stop leak in the radiator and coolent contaminated oil for probably 2 years, and what did the car in was corrosion on the drivers' side control arm mount, pulled into my driveway and over a little hump and the left front wheel suddenly turned left- that was the end of the car.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:48 AM

3,610 posts, read 7,946,659 times
Either a cooling system leak (not necessarily the radiator) or head gasket leak. It's unfortunate it has gone this far, there is a possibility of permanent engine damage.

And the red light is a red herring.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:58 AM

9,552 posts, read 4,378,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Heat or Excessive Heat is probably the worst and most destructive "negative" to a Vehicle's Engine, WinterGirl80.

Unfortunately, your Camry's problem could be minor or major and only a qualified mechanic will be able to diagnose the issue at this point.

GOOD LUCK.

Worth repeating. When the temperature gauges rises, turn off the engine immediately.

True story (that is, unfortunately, the exception to the rule). Back in the early 1980s, a friend of mine decided to buy a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner for almost nothing because the seller said the engine was blown. It was a 383 and my friend intended to remove it and install a 440, so it was perfect. I drove him to where the car was located. Our hope was that it would run well enough to make the 25 mile drive home. It started, but was low on coolant. We added water, but it immediately began leaking onto the ground as fast as we put it in. It took about 2 seconds to realize that the freeze plugs were rusted out. Since my friend didn't care about the engine, he decided to just start driving home and get as far as he could. Worst case, he'd save a few dollars on towing. I followed him in my car. I could barely see him in front of me the smoke was so thick. I could hear his engine pinging and it smelled like hell itself. Red sparks were spewing from the exhaust pipes. When we arrive at his house 1 hour later and opened the hood, the engine was still running, albeit very roughly. The exhaust manifolds were glowing bright red in broad daylight. It was seriously impressive.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:37 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,451,511 times
If anything it’s not going to be a cheap fix in fact the repair could cost more than the car is worth. When a motor get so hot that it shuts down is not just a simple leak, now internal parts have been effected, the motor is a aluminum block and head and heat is the number one enemy of aluminum. They can’t take the extreme heat like a good ole cast iron block and head. Aluminum heads will wrap when overhead to the extreme of what happened to your car.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:41 PM

61,924 posts, read 87,533,958 times
Quote:
They can last much longer than that, just need a little tender care and timely maintenance. Little problems caught at the beginning won't turn into disasters.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 2,351,586 times
Quote:
Toyotas have a history of reliability. That doesn't mean they don't occasionally have problems.

We also don't know how the car has been treated/maintained by the OP and any previous owners before her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive