Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:21 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I don't care if you park next to me, so long as you leave a comfortable distance for me to get back in and don't open your door into the side of my vehicle. That's just common respect, but many seem to lack it.

So, I park further away.
Bingo!!!!

I drove my wife to the vitamin store, a couple of days ago. I backed into a spot near the door of the store, so she didn't have too far to walk. There was a car already there, but I left plenty of room for the driver of that car to be able to open their door, and neither hit mine, nor damage theirs. A couple of minutes later, just before my wife comes out of the store, some jackass pulls in, on my other side. He was SO close, there was no way my wife could have even opened the door, to get back in with me.

It's amazing how many unconscious people there are, walking around, freely.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 06:23 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
I like cars..........I could easily buy 20-30 high line cars as a collector, but I would never want to be a Jay Leno with hundreds of cars that I don't even drive. I don't want the anchor of being the caretaker for all of that "stuff" either.

I've owned a 911, several BMW/Mercedes/Audis most of them bought/leased new. I keep looking at new 911s but keep getting stuck on the depreciation curve vs. how much I'd actually drive it equation. The lower the mileage the higher the cost per mile is!

I do not ever want to be the guy in the commercial posted above........that would keep me up all night! I daily drive a Yukon that has been pretty bulletproof in 2 years/45K miles. It needed tires and the sole warranty claim was the paint peeling off the door handles. It is ideal for what I need for work and I don't mind driving it the rest of the time. After owning about a dozen pickups in a row, the Yukon was a great change for a daily driver.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodil85 View Post
Especially to German and American men, they are status symbols. Not so to French and Italian men.
I think that for some men, cars are status symbols. But so are houses, certain types of clothes, and other things.

Beyond that, cars represent control, speed and power, things that are important to a lot of men. It's not necessarily the cost of the car, but the image of power and speed that it conveys, that makes, say, an older 'Vette or other sports car more appealing than a Camry.

Trucks are a variation on this same theme. They convey power and masculinity. My cousin got a big pickup truck that is basically a phallic symbol. I joked with him that his member grows 6 inches every time he gets into it.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:57 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Cars represent potency, energy, independence and even adventure. The more 'civilized' your life otherwise is the more you may find that fast and/or strong cars fill that primal need in you.

I guess I'm what one might call an "Ole Geezer". I love my F150, why.....
Because it is super comfortable
Because it rides better than any other vehicle I've Owned
Because it is super flexible, hauling anything I want from our local Home Depot/Lowes
Because I like its looks.
Because I can!!

Wish I had gotten leather interior and 4 wheel drive. Considering I'm old, I just might do that this year instead of leaving the money to my ungrateful kids!!

Old 01-02-2021, 09:48 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Cars represent potency, energy, independence and even adventure. The more 'civilized' your life otherwise is the more you may find that fast and/or strong cars fill that primal need in you.
Bingo. I live a very civilized life but I still have a need for adventure and to push limits in some way. Not every man is like this, but I know many who are.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I know my preferences have changed as I have gotten older. In my 20s, I mostly wanted something like looked good and impressed people, I didn't care if it was destined to be a POS. Now that I'm in my 40s my top priorities are quietness, comfort, and reliability.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:46 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
The grammar in the title slays me. i don’t want the fanciest ride on the road. I want something that suits me, is reliable, in good condition and has comfort and safety features that make it a nice ride. I like many things automotive. I have a company car, a pickup, It is nice saving wear and tear not driving my own ride around for that.

I like having nice things. I like having things that work for me. They do not need to be the newest or fanciest. I do not mind spending a little bit more for something that will last me a long time. Whether it is a vehicle, clothing, computers, I want quality.

I am thinking of some updates to my 15 year old pickup and 3 year old Jeep.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:14 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
My "Dream Car" is a 4-door, silver Camry with black leather interior and a Corvette drive train. Please send me a pm when comes out.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:20 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Cars are one of many status symbols. It might be that Italian and French culture isn’t so hot on status symbols to begin with. I’ve known a few wealthy guys who couldn’t care less about their cars. One quietly amassed a large collection of Asian art and a collection of Patek Philippes which would buy an entire subdivision in some places. Another was rather house proud, but drove a 25 year old Toyota pickup.

I also think if you’re using a car as a status symbol, you’re doing it wrong. Much like watches or guns - also mechanically interesting things - you should get what you like rather than what will impress the neighbors.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:07 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I keep looking at new 911s but keep getting stuck on the depreciation curve vs. how much I'd actually drive it equation. The lower the mileage the higher the cost per mile is!
Peruse the local Craigslist for 911s. You'll find that the older ones have become outright investments, appreciating nicely. Likely the prices bottom-out at around 10-15 years. Older 911s have been rising in price, and presumably the ones from ~2005 have now hit bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Beyond that, cars represent control, speed and power, things that are important to a lot of men. It's not necessarily the cost of the car, but the image of power and speed that it conveys, that makes, say, an older 'Vette or other sports car more appealing than a Camry.
Having spent some years driving a Camry, there was an overwhelmingly desultory feeling of surrender and inequity. It was a V6... the first year of the 3.5L. One time to took it to amateur drag racing, and ran high 14s in the quarter mile. Not bad, really. But still, that nagging feeling of driving a front wheel drive suburban A-to-B means of transport....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
My "Dream Car" is a 4-door, silver Camry with black leather interior and a Corvette drive train. Please send me a pm when comes out.
Ironically, Toyota makes a "Camry" NASCAR entry. It's a pushrod overhead valve V8, with rear wheel drive and a manual transmission, a solid rear axle and a tube chassis.

Now why, oh why, is such a thing unavailable for mere "civilians"? I would love to drive such a car - yes, daily drive, including in the rain, the winter doldrums, traffic, important meetings, the airport, the beach, the grocery store. But such is not to be.

The fairy-tale world of vehicular Candy Mountain has high-lift mechanical roller cams and double-pumper 4-barrels. The real world mostly doesn't even know what those things mean... and excoriates people who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive