Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,341,971 times

Advertisements

Just because you pay a lot for a battery from AAA doesn't make it a better battery. It costs money to have them deliver it and install it.

If you have an independent battery shop in your city, that's the best place to buy a high quality battery - but it'll be cash and carry, install it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 08:59 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,505,675 times
Basically, AAA batteries are junk, regardless of what the AAA goober says. Always have been.
All batteries are made by three companies. Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn.
Even with a name brand battery, there are going to be defective ones. Happens all the time.
Costco has good batteries at a good price, if you are a member there. Don't waste your money on an Optima battery. They used to be unbeatable, but since they are now made in a foreign country, the quality has taken a plunge.
Buy the biggest battery with the highest cold cranking amps and reserve capacity that will fit in your truck's battery compartment. Stay away from AAA's batteries.
I've been working on cars for a living, pushing 40 years now. Seen your problem come up countless times.
Best of luck.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:07 AM

253 posts, read 284,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Have you tested for parasitic draw on your vehicle? Do you know how many milliamps you pull with everything off?

You may have a small parasitic draw somewhere and the radio being on for 2 hours just puts it over the edge. That's the only way I can imagine a regular, no frills radio depleting a battery. I've gone 2+ hours with my radio on without issue when I was working on the car and wanted something to listen to. It would always crank right up afterwards. Only times I've had issue is when the battery is on it's way out.
Thanks. Yes. This is my theory as well. I think there must be one in the clock/radio/speaker wires somewhere. I have tried and tried to track it down - if it exists - but no luck so far. I guess I will go back and search some more. About 6 months ago, I started to get a phantom hiss from my rear speakers after everything was shut off. It lasts about 15 seconds after the radio/clock shuts off. So I think it must be getting added on top of or multiplying the amp draw from just the plain radio by itself while it is on that 2 hours. I didn't want to rip things apart if it was of little consequence but now that this battery thing has happened in such a short time, I guess I am going to have to.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
As I stated, nothing else has changed. Every day for years and years is exactly the same routine. 50 miles of driving every day. The engine runs for at least 30 minutes between each point I stop and turn on the radio. I am not seeing anything in the replies that makes me think I am wrong about this battery dying and the AAA guy being wrong.
OK then, check for a parasitic-draw.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:13 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,505,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
Thanks. Yes. This is my theory as well. I think there must be one in the clock/radio/speaker wires somewhere. I have tried and tried to track it down - if it exists - but no luck so far. I guess I will go back and search some more. About 6 months ago, I started to get a phantom hiss from my rear speakers after everything was shut off. It lasts about 15 seconds after the radio/clock shuts off. So I think it must be getting added on top of or multiplying the amp draw from just the plain radio by itself while it is on that 2 hours. I didn't want to rip things apart if it was of little consequence but now that this battery thing has happened in such a short time, I guess I am going to have to.

Thanks.
What make and model is your car? There are a few out there that are notorious for phantom electrical gremlins

Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK then, check for a parasitic-draw.
It's simple to remove the negative cable from the battery, then touch it back onto the terminal. If it sparks, something is drawing power. Just a clock should not be enough to cause it to spark. Finding it can be tricky. I have several things do this on older (than yours) cars. For example, brake light switch sticks, backup light switch sticks, or dome light door switch sticks or is left on. There is also the possibility of a bad alternator not charging the battery fully, but that should cause a warning light.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:17 PM

10,912 posts, read 7,414,393 times
Get a portable radio to use instead of the car radio.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:28 PM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Have you tested for parasitic draw on your vehicle? Do you know how many milliamps you pull with everything off?

You may have a small parasitic draw somewhere and the radio being on for 2 hours just puts it over the edge. That's the only way I can imagine a regular, no frills radio depleting a battery. I've gone 2+ hours with my radio on without issue when I was working on the car and wanted something to listen to. It would always crank right up afterwards. Only times I've had issue is when the battery is on it's way out.
absolutely. Hyundai's have a problem with parasitic draws. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-05-2021 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Rude; off-topic.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Get a portable radio to use instead of the car radio.
Sometimes turning a problem around and looking at it from another angle opens a shut mind to more alternatives. This sounds like much less hassle than dealing with an inoperable vehicle that often...and replacing spent radio batteries will cost a heck of a lot less too! You could get even more use out of quality rechargeables. How about a solar charged radio? Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-05-2021 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Rude; off-topic.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:40 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
A wet lead-antimony battery will last about 4 years, +/-, battery size and current draw. A good battery IIRC, should read 12.8 volts at the terminals. If the battery reads ~12.2 V or less, it's time to think about a new battery. Cold weather will slow the the chemical reaction this battery testing is done as "cold cranking".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive