Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:54 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,434,029 times

Advertisements

Is Trucks/SUVs getting lots of hate?

Especially in general, Trucks/SUV Ownership

https://youtu.be/Q78u5EKQmCo

Last edited by Blackandgold51; 01-08-2021 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 10:56 AM

6,466 posts, read 9,842,296 times
Just the drivers, no hate for the truck itself.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:07 PM

8,554 posts, read 4,791,254 times
I’m a little dismissive of trucks...mostly because most of the owners, at least around here, don’t do nearly anything that would justify actually owning a pickup. It’s very much just cool to own a truck here. If I did truck things, then yeah, I’d get a truck though.

SUVs are another matter. To me they have always been a pretty sub-optimal body style for family duty. Vans and wagons are both superior picks for that. And now that the majority are tall cars, lacking any real off-road abilities, there isn’t even that excuse anymore. I actually wouldn’t mind a good off-roader, although sadly we do t have any good trails here that I know of. Off reading is something I’ve always kinda wanted to get into.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,942,924 times
I hate my truck a little bit today. The accelerator becomes non-responsive on the freeway. Kinda scary, just when I start to pull over it kicks back in.

(Oddly it is apparently caused by a bad oil sensor sending unit.).

Old 01-08-2021, 12:18 PM

5,466 posts, read 6,093,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m a little dismissive of trucks...mostly because most of the owners, at least around here, don’t do nearly anything that would justify actually owning a pickup. It’s very much just cool to own a truck here. If I did truck things, then yeah, I’d get a truck though.

SUVs are another matter. To me they have always been a pretty sub-optimal body style for family duty. Vans and wagons are both superior picks for that. And now that the majority are tall cars, lacking any real off-road abilities, there isn’t even that excuse anymore. I actually wouldn’t mind a good off-roader, although sadly we do t have any good trails here that I know of. Off reading is something I’ve always kinda wanted to get into.
Agreed, much like Ferrari owners don't do anything to justify ownership of such a car?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:30 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,447,629 times
Quote:

That can be said about people who buy those huge tv’s or those expensive smart phones also accordingly to your beliefs , and I’m sure you can justify everything you buy right.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,942,924 times
Quote:
I’m a little dismissive of trucks...mostly because most of the owners, at least around here, don’t do nearly anything that would justify actually owning a pickup.
Here is what I do that justifies owning a pickup:

I enjoy driving a pickup and find it useful.

Of course I cannot speak for "most" truck owners, because I cannot claim to know most or even a substantial plurality of truck owners, but I bet most of them engage in the activity of enjoying driving and using a pick up too. But that is just speculation on my part.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:54 PM

45,555 posts, read 60,795,283 times
https://youtu.be/8JPZskYKUvY

Old 01-08-2021, 01:13 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,263,100 times
Personally, I don't care if someone has a problem with me owning a truck and I if they asked me to justify, I will be most happy to use the two word reply and we all know what that will be.

But during the spring-thru-fall months, I do use it to pull a trailer. Do that in a Prius...

And during the winter, I use it to drive through the snow.

So, I can justify it, but if asked on the street, I will give my standard two-word reply.

However, where I live, damn near everyone has a truck or an SUV based on a truck frame like a Suburban, Tahoe, etc. And those that don't MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!

Old 01-08-2021, 01:15 PM

791 posts, read 371,081 times
Quote:
mostly because most of the owners don’t do nearly anything that would justify actually owning a pickup.
Why does anyone have to "justify" their choice of vehicle to you?

Do they have to justify having a color that doesn't appeal to you?

Do they have to justify having (or not having) a sunroof based on whether you like them or not?

Do they have to justify having a 2-door car, or a 4-door car, or a _____ (fill in the blank)?

Who are you to demand justification of someone else's choice of vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive