Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 08:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,726,561 times

Advertisements

Nothing against Trucks or any cars they are all tools. It's certain people that drive them that should be ticketed or pulled over for many violations and dangerous habits. I think Trucks with a certain weight should require a different license requirements. Way too many people drive them like they are normal cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 08:55 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,882,086 times
What kind of "trucks" does this thread refer to? The 18-wheeler types that supply stores, or big SUV's or pickups? I can understand the dislike for the latter on regular paved roads where they're pretty much redundant. But the former are America's lifelines. They do more for our society than most schools these days, even if they do take up a lot of space on the roads.

As a political conservative, I respect trucks and truck drivers, although the latter can be rough around the edges. They live a rough, unhealthy lifestyle, so we can have easy access to factory-farmed meals and cheap consumer goods made in China. Also a railfan, I wish more of our cross-country logistics could be done by trains, leaving local distribution to trucks. This applies to both raw materials and final products. But trucks is how America moves things around for the most part, so it is what it is.

I once saw a placard on a truck, meant to satirize privileged anti-truck fanatics: "If you don't like trucks, stop shopping!"

Old 01-09-2021, 12:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 919,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
But during the spring-thru-fall months, I do use it to pull a trailer. Do that in a Prius...

And during the winter, I use it to drive through the snow.
I personally have no feelings about people owning trucks and SUVs. If you like a truck, own a truck. It's a free country, make yourself happy.

That said, I feel a lot of people come up with very silly justifications. "Oh, I need a truck, because we get an inch of snow once a year" or "Sometimes I get a bag of dirt from my local orange box store".

We typically get at least one snowfall each year that exceeds 3ft (in a single event, generally over 48 hours or less), and on average around 6-8ft of total snow, and it has never prevented me from arriving on time to work.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:42 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,420,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Nothing against Trucks or any cars they are all tools. It's certain people that drive them that should be ticketed or pulled over for many violations and dangerous habits. I think Trucks with a certain weight should require a different license requirements. Way too many people drive them like they are normal cars.
Because they do drive like normal cars, lol.

If you want them to have different license requirements, then I can demonstrate the variance of handling by cars in different classes, thus using your logic, they should all have different license requirements.

Hell, what a great revenue generator for the gov!

Old 01-09-2021, 12:46 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,329,798 times
My truck doing what it does best, a couple times a month. Towing a 9400 lb, 35ft travel trailer all over the east coast. And when it's not towing, it's useful for a lot of things. I have a small 4 door EV sedan for practical day to day use. But the truck has been proven useful to have over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Trucks Get A Lot Of Hate?-suburban.jpg  

Old 01-09-2021, 02:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,061,987 times
I bought a full size half ton pickup over the summer and it's one of the best things I ever did. List of benefits so far...

A. Can now buy large items and tools/equipment at garage sales, craigslist, etc. without having to worry about or negotiate transportation.

B. I have carried and transported firewood for woodstove.

C. Picked up large lumber and sheet goods (plywood/rigid insulation) without negotiating delivery or renting a "load and go" truck.

D. Cut through the last snowstorm in 4wd like it was nothing (minor flooding incidents too).

E. Took an in state Covid safe self contained vacation in October with a 77 quart rotomolded cooler (keeps ice for 7 days) staying in efficiency lodging/cooking own meals/etc. We got our camp chairs, all our food, grill, charcoal, items to deliver to my brother along the way, luggage, etc. all in the truck and rear of cab with no prob...

Most comfortable roomy vehicle I have ever driven, love being up high and seeing everything that might be coming my way well in advance. You feel like your floating along the road on a magic carpet.

I am a low key responsible driver, and notice aggressive a***oles that would have leaned on the horn, cut me off, cut the line on an exit at the last minute, etc. etc. do so MUCH LESS with the truck than when driving my sedan...

Yes, it can be a challenge to park and maneuver at times, small price to pay IMO

Old 01-09-2021, 03:15 PM

8,347 posts, read 6,441,137 times
I have nimble sports cars that can run circles around your trucks.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:18 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,426,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Because they do drive like normal cars, lol.

If you want them to have different license requirements, then I can demonstrate the variance of handling by cars in different classes, thus using your logic, they should all have different license requirements.

Hell, what a great revenue generator for the gov!
Lol , Did some Government in a State start requiring that kid start getting License to cut grass for extra funds?

Old 01-09-2021, 03:19 PM

8,510 posts, read 4,756,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I bought a full size half ton pickup over the summer and it's one of the best things I ever did. List of benefits so far...

A. Can now buy large items and tools/equipment at garage sales, craigslist, etc. without having to worry about or negotiate transportation.

B. I have carried and transported firewood for woodstove.

C. Picked up large lumber and sheet goods (plywood/rigid insulation) without negotiating delivery or renting a "load and go" truck.

D. Cut through the last snowstorm in 4wd like it was nothing (minor flooding incidents too).

E. Took an in state Covid safe self contained vacation in October with a 77 quart rotomolded cooler (keeps ice for 7 days) staying in efficiency lodging/cooking own meals/etc. We got our camp chairs, all our food, grill, charcoal, items to deliver to my brother along the way, luggage, etc. all in the truck and rear of cab with no prob...

Most comfortable roomy vehicle I have ever driven, love being up high and seeing everything that might be coming my way well in advance. You feel like your floating along the road on a magic carpet.

I am a low key responsible driver, and notice aggressive a***oles that would have leaned on the horn, cut me off, cut the line on an exit at the last minute, etc. etc. do so MUCH LESS with the truck than when driving my sedan...

Yes, it can be a challenge to park and maneuver at times, small price to pay IMO
I count a lot of that as reasons why I like our minivan, too, with the exception of snow (so glad I’m not in a snowy climate!)...and I still think we bought too big. Wife agrees and low-key is pushing for something smaller. We don’t use its size as as much as we thought we would. I do like that it’s quieter and rides more softly than the trucks I’ve been in. Doesn’t really handle any better, but I consider it a plus to maintain handling if it gives us better comfort. Sadly what we both want isn’t a thing anymore, a real wagon. If Subaru had a normal-height wagon sans AWD, they’d have a sale. I’ve really never had a problem fitting anything into it.

My old coupe is annoyingly small. The sedan I had before it was ugly and awkward to say the least, but boy could you fit an awful lot into it. Short of a hatchback, it’s one of the best-packaged vehicles I’ve ever had.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:06 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,228,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
As long as you're going in a straight line. Taking a curve at 80mph may be a problem though. High profile All-terrain tires aren't designed to be driven like that.
that's not that you hate trucks for not being fast you hate them for not being able to go as fast as cars around corners. You can make anything fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive