Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 04:24 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,059,889 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here bought through Costco? Is it as straightforward as it's said to be?

Looking for ways to avoid all the crap that goes with dealing with a salesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 04:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,370,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Has anyone here bought through Costco? Is it as straightforward as it's said to be?

In Nov 2015 I bought a 2016 Elantra through Costco. Although its MSRP was about $20K, I got it for $15K. The transaction was easy. Costco worked with one dealer in Denver and the transaction was seamless.

I showed up at the dealership, selected the particular car we wanted and proceeded with the paperwork. They gave me a fair price for the trade in and we did a cash deal without being bombarded with the typical upsales. I just politely declined extended warranties and dealer add-ons.

Although it might be possible to negotiate a similar deal without Costco, they sure made it easy for me. If I ever buy another new car, I'll use the same process.

BTW, the car has been perfect. It has required nothing but typical maintenance since purchase.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
It's very easy and only works with specific dealers. So if you want X car, they may not work with X brand. It has to be new cars. Price is set and no further negotiations are done. It is what it is.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,840,217 times
It's very similar to how you would shop for a car using Internet Sales depts for dealerships that will do that.

This would be the method I'd use if I were short on time, and pretty flexible about the factory and dealer packages.
If I had the time, I'd repeat my last car buying procedure. I used the Internet Sales method as described by Consumers Reports magazine, and then compared it to a price from Costco.

As mentioned above, the Costco selections were quite a bit more limited, but the savings was only a little less ($100-200) than the best price I got doing all the work ($1,400 better than other best deals, and WAY below sticker), and that was for a hot-selling car.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,032,748 times
Quote:

As stated above. Costco can provide a seamless dealer transaction.
Just remember, Costco gets a cut or payment to provide this service.

If one does not like to contact multiple dealers on internet and visit multiple dealerships - to obtain the best price. Then Costco is a good avenue to utilize.

Some reading here do like the challenge of the negotiation process. To claim that they got the "best" deal.
While others hate the process of visiting multiple dealers to "negotiate".

Old 01-18-2021, 11:14 AM

14,276 posts, read 14,815,877 times
I for one have no problem negotiating direct with the dealer people. Many people do not like to negotiate and want an easy way out. Easy is fine but you may not be getting the lowest price via Costco or any 3rd party.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Some reading here do like the challenge of the negotiation process. To claim that they got the "best" deal.
While others hate the process of visiting multiple dealers to "negotiate".
I hate the haggling, all the " let me run this by my manager" talk and always leave feeling that we didn't get a good deal.

I don't understand why cars are sold this way.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I for one have no problem negotiating direct with the dealer people. Many people do not like to negotiate and want an easy way out. Easy is fine but you may not be getting the lowest price via Costco or any 3rd party.
Johngolf, we never get the lowest price. My husband and I are not good at that sort of thing.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:04 PM

10,608 posts, read 5,685,348 times
I've been told Costco's new car program is run by TruCar. I wonder if that is true.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
Johngolf, we never get the lowest price. My husband and I are not good at that sort of thing.
Don't worry about the lowest price. Decide on the price YOU want to pay and negotiate to get that. Truth is, no one really knows if they've gotten the absolute lowest price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive