Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 01:33 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,233,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
As stated above. Costco can provide a seamless dealer transaction.
Just remember, Costco gets a cut or payment to provide this service.

If one does not like to contact multiple dealers on internet and visit multiple dealerships - to obtain the best price. Then Costco is a good avenue to utilize.

Some reading here do like the challenge of the negotiation process. To claim that they got the "best" deal.
While others hate the process of visiting multiple dealers to "negotiate".
Costco doesn't get a cut of the deal. They get a monthly fee from the dealership to be on the referral list. Costco has a huge customer base and many dealers are willing to do "mini" sales at a fixed price to get people in the door for accessories, warranties, financing, etc. without all the back and forth hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
We bought a new car in October. Checked out Costco and got a better price from the dealership. It may just depend on where you are and what you are looking to buy.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:02 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
We bought a new car in October. Checked out Costco and got a better price from the dealership. It may just depend on where you are and what you are looking to buy.
From what I gather (and I haven't looked extremely hard at it) Costco's program delivers a pretty ho-hum deal, to the point that a few email/phone calls, or even internet pricing, can easily beat it.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:26 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
From what I gather (and I haven't looked extremely hard at it) Costco's program delivers a pretty ho-hum deal, to the point that a few email/phone calls, or even internet pricing, can easily beat it.
They are practically giving cars away right now. We were going to buy a used (2018) but the new ones were only $1000 more. Same car, same trim level, 25,000 less miles. It was a no brainer. Depending on what you're buying, there are still a boatload of 2020 models on lots that you can get a really good deal on right now.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Price is irrelevant if you actually bought cars frequently. Dealership make money on financing and leasing processing. They can give you $2k off a tag and make it back easily by piggybacking the discount into your financing terms and fees.

I would look at the terms of the final contract not just the price. Costco has a transparent process where you won't pay for any other fees and make it clear what the only fees will be and how much you would save.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:13 PM

27 posts, read 22,507 times
Purchased a new Toyota RAV4 in 2015 through the Costco program. Very, very easy and simple transaction. No stress at all. I feel I paid a fair price. No screaming bargain, but still a bit below MSRP.

At that time, I had to go to a specific dealer, (there was a Toyota dealer in town, but they were not part of the Costco program, so I had to go to a distant dealer). And, you have to see a specific salesman/women at that dealership. It is my understanding that the sales reps pay a fee to be part of the program, hence having to see them specifically.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I hate the haggling, all the " let me run this by my manager" talk and always leave feeling that we didn't get a good deal.
I don't understand why cars are sold this way.
I LOVE doing this. It's fun as heck, too!
I've gone to dealerships in the past, only to haggle on a car I'm NOT buying! We used to do this back in high school. Sure was fun. Learned a fair amount too. What to do, what NOT to do. Now, they HATE me...

Old 01-18-2021, 10:19 PM

29 posts, read 24,062 times
We did this recently, and while it was touted as the lowest price, we were able to negotiate a bit more from there. Even with the "no haggle" element, there was still some haggling, which was likely due to our trade in. I would do it again. Great experience with Peoria Subaru.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,741,950 times
More worthwhile for some are the rebates Costco offers like the $3,000 one for the Chevrolet Bolt.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Price is irrelevant if you actually bought cars frequently. Dealership make money on financing and leasing processing. They can give you $2k off a tag and make it back easily by piggybacking the discount into your financing terms and fees.

I would look at the terms of the final contract not just the price. Costco has a transparent process where you won't pay for any other fees and make it clear what the only fees will be and how much you would save.
They make money a handful of ways, just not typically on the sale price of new cars. They can make it in the F&I office, yes, but not always, and not when the manufacturer is offering great interest rates. They make little actually leasing you a car. They make money when they hit monthly sales targets from the manufacturer, they make money selling warranties, they make money selling used cars, they make money in the service department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive