Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 12:51 AM

3,850 posts, read 1,791,151 times

Advertisements

My car is an older Toyota Camry. It's been having problems with the radiator itself becoming empty underneath the radiator cap, so every two weeks or so I have to add more coolant. Anyway, I haven't done that in a couple weeks and tonight when I drove it started smoking pretty bad at red lights, from under the hood, but the temperature control inside the vehicle read cool.

I tried making it to the nearest parking lot while I was driving , but my car basically shut-off at a red light and smoked badly from the hood. I ended up getting it towed home. Does this sound like a reasonable fix or does it sound like my car completely died? If its able to be fixed for a reasonable cost I can have it towed to a mechanic, but don't want to do that if my engine is ruined completely.

Also when this problem happened for some reason my heat was turned on and blowing air but wouldn't get warm, not sure if that has anything to do with it but noticed it being a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 12:58 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Why did you wait so long with the radiator problem? It's not a very expensive job to fix, unless everything else is also in a bad shape and neglected.
Is that your first car?
Toyota Camry OEM replacement radiator usually costs around $50 to $100 plus labor.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:49 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
It sounds like one of two things happened:

1. Your car engine was overheating and the sensor tripped and the engine will no longer turn on without a mechanic assessing the issue (Not sure if Camry's have this feature).

2. Your car engine overheated to the point where the pistons expanded, creating additional friction and heat, and eventually melted or got stuck. In this case, you will need an engine replacement and I would expect it to cost $3000 - $4000 for parts and labor.

You really should have had that radiator replaced as soon as you saw it was problematic. The fact that you weren't getting heat shows that there was no coolant in the system to transfer the heat way from the engine (and into the heat exchange for the heater). Not to mention your contribution destroying the environment by leaking poisonous coolant everywhere.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:06 AM

I was adding coolant every two weeks, very small amounts directly to the radiator so I thought it was okay to do that until I could get it repaired. I had replaced the radiator eight years ago. I was saving up for the repair.

The last time it cost a little under $200 and now the damage is most likely much worse. I just didn't realize adding coolant over a few month time frame was the wrong choice.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
The temp gauge displays the coolant temperature via a sensor, but if there is no coolant there's nothing for the sensor to read. That's why it didn't indicate an overheating situation. Same with the heater, it works by sending hot coolant through the heater core. No coolant, no heat.

Sounds like your leak got much worse.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
You could also have a blown head gasket that’s why you were losing coolant also, take it to a mechanic and find out exactly what’s wrong.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:53 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Heat or Excessive Heat is probably the worst and most destructive "negative" to a Vehicle's Engine, WinterGirl80.

Unfortunately, your Camry's problem could be minor or major and only a qualified mechanic will be able to diagnose the issue at this point.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 AM

It's interesting to know why the heat wasn't working, makes a lot of sense. I just hope my car can be repaired and the engine wasn't ruined.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Car always conk out at the worst place like a red light dwight.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:43 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times
Did you check the oil? (to make sure it wasn't turning into 'milkshake' and level rising - if coolant was leaking internally/bad head gasket)?
Or was the car creating coolant puddles where ever you parked it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive