Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 07:05 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times

Advertisements

For south Louisiana it was pretty cold yesterday, 45 degrees. Wife and I went grocery shopping in her Hyundai Kona with me driving. The front seats have built in heaters with three heat settings. I could feel the heat in less than a 1/4 mile from home. Felt great especially after all got out to fill the gas tank. My car doesn’t have this feature. I’m considering going to Walmart or Autozone to get a heated car seat cushion. I know most of those available in these stores have the massage as well as heat. I also know they don’t heat up as fast nor as hot as the built in seat heaters. Starting tonight the temperature is getting into the 30s. I’m working 3pm-11pm shift starting tonight. In cold weather it takes a few miles more before my car’s heater is blowing warm air. I figure I could turn on the seat heater at the start of the drive and turn it off roughly halfway to work when the heater is blowing hot. The outlet in the car is not powered when the car is off so no danger of forgetting to turn it off.

For future winters are there any particular models of seat heaters you would recommend? I would prefer models that don’t have a massage feature. Ease of installing and removing is a plus since normally our winters are mild. Fast heating is also a plus. Don’t need the high heat toasting my backside like some models. Just want warmth until the car’s heater warms up. For those familiar with built in car seat heaters my wife’s Kona has three heat settings and I’m fine and toasty with the lowest setting. She has spinal problems, arthritis, and nerve damage so she keeps it on its highest setting. She rarely ever rides in my car now that she has her Kona but I would consider getting a seat heater for the passenger seat for those rare occasions she may ride in my car. Oh, anther feature that would be a plus is to not move around when getting in and out the car. This is a problem with the cheap ones available at big box stores. One other question. Are there any that are seat back only? Wife sits on a seat riser cushion in my car. Would only need the seat back to heat up for her. She’s only 4 feet 10 inches tall and this helps her to see outside my car and to make it easier for her to step out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 08:10 AM

1,728 posts, read 817,726 times
I feel like I peed my pants when the seat heater is on.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:27 AM

22,681 posts, read 24,685,004 times
Get a little inverter and heating-pad.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 AM

12,965 posts, read 22,133,661 times
I've owned two cars with this one installed by the dealer (actually a partner shop, but installed as part of the purchase): https://www.quadratec.com/products/2...BoC-ccQAvD_BwE. It was solid and threw heat high enough up the back for me. I love heated seats, but it's often only available on the more premium trims (along with a suite of other features I don't want/need), so I've managed to negotiate aftermarket seats installed on the factory seat as part of the purchase of the vehicle. It's fairly inexpensive and it's less clunky that something that slips over the seat or requires a power inverter as it wires into the car's electrical system. I've never tried this DIY, but I can't imagine it's that challenging.

I "treated myself" to a new car this past fall that has a cold weather package complete with heated seats (three different settings), heated steering wheel, and heated windshield. It's all nice (a little overkill), but the heated seats in my new car aren't noticeably better than the $99 aftermarket heater above.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:12 AM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Comf...lack/576238421

Bought this car seat heater at Walmart yesterday. It was the only one in the store I went to.

Pluses
1. Three heat settings and high heat did get too hot for me.
2. Grip liner on backside kept it firmly in place with no sliding.
3. Was easy to install and operate.
4. Looks pretty good on the factory seats.

Minuses
1. Has a cooling setting with built in fans but your body blocks much of the air vents and the fans are loud and vibrate.
2. There were no instructions included. Some online reviews revealed some people installed it upside down.
3. Took about 5 minutes for me to feel the heat. In those 5 minutes my car’s heater was warmed up. Having the seat warm did help me to feel more comfortable faster than with the car heater alone.
4. Price was about $40. The price would have been a bit lower if it was built without the cooling features.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:42 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,840,799 times
CAUTION: make sure your add-on seat heater has a built-in Auto-Off timer.

I got a basic seat warmer for my girl friend who had late shifts in a hospital. She'd get into her car in the middle of the night and it was very cold. BUT, she kept leaving it on and getting out of the car, and it would drain the battery. Fortunately, I'd earlier given her jumper cables and she knew how to use them.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
CAUTION: make sure your add-on seat heater has a built-in Auto-Off timer.

I got a basic seat warmer for my girl friend who had late shifts in a hospital. She'd get into her car in the middle of the night and it was very cold. BUT, she kept leaving it on and getting out of the car, and it would drain the battery. Fortunately, I'd earlier given her jumper cables and she knew how to use them.
My vehicle’s outlet is off when the vehicle is off. Would like it to be on even if it’s a lower output for charging devices when the car is off.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:40 PM

13,681 posts, read 10,067,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I feel like I peed my pants when the seat heater is on.
I, even more so, when my sunroof has leaked. I suppose that's why the heated seats are fitted in the first place.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:44 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,648,223 times
We never use the heated seats. For some reason I keep thinking electric chair. But a heated steering wheel sounds nice.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:00 PM

32,707 posts, read 48,282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
....... it was pretty cold yesterday, 45 degrees. .......

Thanks for the laugh.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive