Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 10:24 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Cash if say over $5,000 is a lot of bills, I wonder about that.
Personally, I'm a little worried about counterfeit bills, as are the Feds. My solution is the same as has been posted previously. You and the Buyer go to HIS bank, where he cashes his check, the bank slides a pile of money over to him, and he then slides the same pile of money over to you. You then slide the pile of money back to the cashier, and have the bank issue a money order or cashier's check in your name only, the Buyer has nothing to do with this transaction (so he can't claim the check was lost or stolen and cancel it later on). Take this check and deposit in your own account whenever.

Better still if the bank has a Notary that can stamp the duplicate "Bill of sale" that you prepared in advance, listing the vehicle's VIN, the names of the Buyer and Seller, any warranties (or the lack thereof), etc.. Spend a little time on your state's Secretary of State website and follow any procedure listed for vehicle transfer. Never sell a vehicle with an "open title", doing so leaves the Seller open to way too much liability. Inform the state of the sale if that is their policy. You don't want your vehicle to be used in a stickup, hit and run, or rack up ten grand in tickets after you sell it, especially if you can't actually prove it was sold when the state comes looking for the last registered owner.

One reason it is so hard to sell a private vehicle yourself on the secondary market is because very few people actually have the cash to purchase them, late-model used cars are expensive and most people need to finance. Not sure how to handle this - again, I would think you could bring the vehicle to the Buyer's bank or credit union and get the payoff, and give the entity carrying the loan the title to hold. Again, no need to "trust" anyone involved, tell them you believe in cash at the time of sale ("In God we Trust" is printed right on the bills, LOL). My Aunt went into a nursing home a few years ago. The guy I sold her house to was a mechanic, and he offered to buy her car, do some fixup on it (it hadn't been started in over a year, needed a battery, etc.), and sell it again. But he was ticked that I refused to sell it with an open title, such that he would have to pay for the title transfer, purchase plates, etc. - as her POA, I stuck to my guns and sold it to someone else, his loss. He was a nice enough guy and I did "trust" him, but there was no way I could put my Aunt's estate at risk in case I was wrong (or if HE sold it to someone unscrupulous). "Trust Allah, but tie up your camel" is how it goes, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 11:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
I recently purchased a used truck for $5,200. We went to the sellers bank and up to the window. I gave them my debit card and asked for a cash advance directly into the sellers account, I did my security stuff on the pin pad then the seller did his. In a few moments the teller confirmed his new balance and asked if he wanted to withdraw any of it then printed up a balance receipt. Easy peasy.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
^^^ I might add, doing it this way the seller gets their money immediately and there are no fees involved as when you buy a cashier check or a wire transfer.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:56 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you sell a car to a complete stranger, you will usually ask for cash. I'm leery of doing this since it may be a large amount.

If you don't want a check or money order (because it might bounce) there are many phone apps or other internet methods of transferring the money. But I'm nervous about that also.

Can you offer any tips or other ideas?
Yeah, quit being nervous. Businesses transfer billions of dollars electronically every day and have for decades. Why be nervous?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
I sold a camper and got a deposit of $200 and a week later a cashier's check for $5800. Gave the buyer the title and camper and immediately deposited the check.

After getting it home he decided it was in worse shape than he thought so he tried to cancel the sale and had his credit union put a stop payment on the cashiers check. Several days later, the $5800 disappeared from my account. So for a time, he had the physical camper 200 miles away and the title and was out only the $200 cash.

We did call him and read him the riot act, reading to him the sales contract he signed and we ultimately got our money - less the return check fee from my CU.

I didn't know you could put a stop payment on a cashiers check.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:49 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I sold a camper and got a deposit of $200 and a week later a cashier's check for $5800. Gave the buyer the title and camper and immediately deposited the check.

After getting it home he decided it was in worse shape than he thought so he tried to cancel the sale and had his credit union put a stop payment on the cashiers check. Several days later, the $5800 disappeared from my account. So for a time, he had the physical camper 200 miles away and the title and was out only the $200 cash.

We did call him and read him the riot act, reading to him the sales contract he signed and we ultimately got our money - less the return check fee from my CU.

I'm actually surprised you got your money.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
It's really not. A in inch high stack is 230 bills. It will be more since it's hard to compress but nothing you can't fit in a largeish envelope, purse, messenger bag, etc...$5K in $100 bills would fit in a wallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Personally, I'm a little worried about counterfeit bills, as are the Feds.
I use the same counterfeit pens that the banks use. You can buy them at any office supply store, probably a wally-world, amazon...I check every bill when we count the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post

Me neither. That's crazy. Honestly for under $10K I'd insist on cash.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:05 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Make a copy of buyers drivers license - both sides. Same with buyers old registration if they have one.
Take a phone picture of buyer.

Write a Bill of Sale (2). Keep one signed copy.

If cash, do transaction at YOUR bank. If $10,000 or more IRS issues arise.

Best is to have buyer do a wire transfer. Make sure it is a wire and not just electronic.

Certainly, you can take a bank check from buyer if buyer meets you at YOUR bank and have YOUR bank verify the check AND the amount of check.

Might be good to have an adult friend or relative with you.
I would not let the person take a picture of me, nor see my driver's license (where I live). I would, and I have bought a car this way, meet a my credit union, and give the seller a bank draft from the bank (credit union). Bank draft or cashier's check from the bank are easy ways to transfer a sale.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times
Suppose the buyer says "I'll give you a personal check and you can just wait 2-3 for it to go through. Then you give me the car."

Would that be okay? I think it would be, unless the buyer is afraid the seller just runs off with the money and disappears.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:18 PM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm actually surprised you got your money.
I had signed contract "as is, where is" and option to have it inspected before purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive