Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 07:01 AM

12,504 posts, read 9,584,432 times

Advertisements

With its innovative thinking - modular platform architecture, composite bodies, flexible robotics rapidly deployed in microfactories rather than traditional large, rigid assembly lines, British commercial EV maker Arrival seems more like a technology company than another staid purveyor of heavy iron like the Detroit "Big 3".

Arrival claims a 50% operational cost savings for fleet owners. They've recently won a contract for 10,000 electric delivery vans from UPS. UPS and Hyundai are also investing in the company, with Hyundai interested in collaborating on advanced manufacturing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpDTfGoRww

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-28-2021 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 09:16 AM

1,002 posts, read 919,775 times
I just read an article showing Amazon's vans are just about to start hitting the streets too.

Once commercial is going electric, you can bet rapid adoption of normal consumers is not too far off.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I just read an article showing Amazon's vans are just about to start hitting the streets too.

Once commercial is going electric, you can bet rapid adoption of normal consumers is not too far off.
I think that user "recycled" makes a good point when he talks about the particular advantages for EVs as local delivery vehicles, in this post on the Amazon delivery van thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/60499368-post2.html
The same points are true of city buses that run the same route all the time and return to the garage at night, and in fact Arrival is also making buses.

But I agree that you wouldn't see huge customers like Amazon investing $4 Billion+ and UPS investing $500M-$1B in these vehicles, if they weren't a viable technology that offers advantages for commercial use. 10 years ago, it would have been a different story and you wouldn't see these big deals, but the EV technology is rapidly improving. In 10 more years it will be in a mainstream position for consumer vehicles in my opinion, not just a small segment of the market. Maybe 20-25 years and they will likely dominate the consumer market.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:00 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,228,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post

Not necessarily. Things that work for commercial vehicles such as local delivery trucks don't necessarily transfer to a good vehicle for consumers to buy. Think about diesel engines. Great for delivery vehicles they last forever, they seem to be excellent at caring greater weight. But you put it in passenger car and nobody wants it.

I think local delivery is probably the best application for electric vehicles.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Not necessarily. Things that work for commercial vehicles such as local delivery trucks don't necessarily transfer to a good vehicle for consumers to buy. Think about diesel engines. Great for delivery vehicles they last forever, they seem to be excellent at caring greater weight. But you put it in passenger car and nobody wants it.

I think local delivery is probably the best application for electric vehicles.
Local bus routes are a similar application to local delivery, and Arrival is making those as well. As I said in the Amazon thread, I think these are really well suited to EVs in their current from, one could say it's "the killer app". You don't need to use a charging network, and the routes are predictable and comfortably within the vehicle's range, so you're not exposed to some of the things that need improving for some applications. Plus, commercial use really puts a premium on reliability and low operating cost - even more than personal use.

I think you need to be careful about saying this is *the same* as any other application. But I also think that the fact that Amazon and UPS are investing big in EVs for delivery reflects a maturing of the technology that goes beyond package delivery.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Local bus routes are a similar application to local delivery, and Arrival is making those as well. As I said in the Amazon thread, I think these are really well suited to EVs in their current from, one could say it's "the killer app". You don't need to use a charging network, and the routes are predictable and comfortably within the vehicle's range, so you're not exposed to some of the things that need improving for some applications. Plus, commercial use really puts a premium on reliability and low operating cost - even more than personal use.
the problem with buses is you'll have to double up your fleet you wouldn't have to do that with delivery vehicles you can deliver for a certain part of the day and build vehicle around being charged in the time it's not used for delivery buses run a lot longer I don't think it's feasible for buses. Buses should go hybrid. That technology works beautifully and local commuting.
Quote:
I think you need to be careful about saying this is *the same* as any other application. But I also think that the fact that Amazon and UPS are investing big in EVs for delivery reflects a maturing of the technology that goes beyond package delivery.
I didn't say anything was the same so thanks for putting words in my mouth. Also electric cars are backwards they're not more advanced the more advanced thing is an internal combustion engine that consumes fuel it's far more technologically advanced this is not a maturation it is a regression. That being said if cities can produce the extra demand of electricity and we can eliminate fuel costs then it's a great idea.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
the problem with buses is you'll have to double up your fleet you wouldn't have to do that with delivery vehicles you can deliver for a certain part of the day and build vehicle around being charged in the time it's not used for delivery buses run a lot longer I don't think it's feasible for buses. Buses should go hybrid. That technology works beautifully and local commuting.

I didn't say anything was the same so thanks for putting words in my mouth. Also electric cars are backwards they're not more advanced the more advanced thing is an internal combustion engine that consumes fuel it's far more technologically advanced this is not a maturation it is a regression. That being said if cities can produce the extra demand of electricity and we can eliminate fuel costs then it's a great idea.
LOL Okay then.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
LOL Okay then.
It is true electric vehicles have been around for a century and a half they fell out of favor in 1900 when the car we consider conventional vehicle today took over. And that's where they remained ever since.

The all of a sudden interested in it is good for the future of the electric car and I hope the interest continues if there's people out there that want electric cars now they have more than just one or two options.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
Good niche, but electric delivery-vehicles were used as far back as the the later part
of the 19th-century.

And guess what, the limitations of battery-powered vehicles are still very much there.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Good niche, but electric delivery-vehicles were used as far back as the the later part
of the 19th-century.

And guess what, the limitations of battery-powered vehicles are still very much there.
It's not the 19th century, it's the 21st century, and today's vehicles and the growing charging infrastructure are totally different, so I don't think it's useful, other than perhaps in a rhetorical sense to make it sound bad, to look back more than 100 years to evaluate future prospects from today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive