Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 AM

351 posts, read 321,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Pack Rats. I would worry about that. When you open the hood if you see nesting in the engine compartment they could have been munching on wiring.
When we lived in the Shenandoah Valley, I noticed a few straw-like strands coming into car via the air vents when I turned the fan on. Off and on for about a week.

Didn't think much of it until I saw a chipmunk scurry near my car. Popped the hood and sure enough there was some nesting material. We lived on 10 acres heavily wooded, riverfront. I parked my car in driveway.

Since the airport parking lot is large, asphalted, with no trash bins or litter, nor plants nor water, I am hoping it's not a good habitat for packrats.

Will find out in a few days and will post what we find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 10:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
When we lived in the Shenandoah Valley, I noticed a few straw-like strands coming into car via the air vents when I turned the fan on. Off and on for about a week.

Didn't think much of it until I saw a chipmunk scurry near my car. Popped the hood and sure enough there was some nesting material. We lived on 10 acres heavily wooded, riverfront. I parked my car in driveway.

Since the airport parking lot is large, asphalted, with no trash bins or litter, nor plants nor water, I am hoping it's not a good habitat for packrats.

Will find out in a few days and will post what we find.
Field mice and heat have been my AZ issues (I often park at TUS ~ $3/day, and where I often stay and or transit.

Since it is a Honda, they are more picky on fuel issues, so... I hope you had 1/2+ tank of fuel, If not, evaporation and resulting particulates could be a problem.

Personally I would add fuel treatment and run to ~ 1/2 tank, then add fresh (clean) fuel from a high volume dealer (like Costco, because they also have solvents and additives like Chevron uses) + some more injector cleaner / fuel treatment. I often use Seafoam as an additive.

Yes, check the belts and hoses, and plan to change them as soon as reasonable / due.

If you have some hesitation or CEL (Check Engine light) after your first 2 tanks of fuel, possibly a vacuum hose has cracked due to the heat / dry.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:15 AM

Tank was almost full....maybe drove 30 miles after last fill-up before we parked it. The oil was also changed and car had routine Honda maintenance checkup 2 weeks before we shipped it to AZ.

We used to leave our motorcycles for 6 months when we were AZ part-timers, but we knew how long we'd be gone so we put in fuel additive and disconnected our batteries.

We had every intention of returning to the airport within 4-6 weeks when we left in March 2019.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:34 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,230,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I also have a car that hasn’t been driven in over 8 months. My question is this: at the time it only had 1/4 tank of gas, is there still enough gas in the tank to start the car?
Yes - today's cars have sealed fuel systems. Gas cannot evaporate from the tank.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:12 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,704,624 times
Quote:
6 bucks a day, so about $2,200. I try to look at as a monthly bill.....$180 a month for secure parking doesn't sound so bad.
Agreed.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:21 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,896,314 times
Look things over, check the fluids, fire it up and drive it. No need to get all technical about it.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:31 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,064,544 times
Do you have AAA or a similar service? If not, *now* might be a good time to join. If push comes to shove, reach out. I’m working every day organizing and packing our house to move in three weeks but, I’ve got jumper cables and an easily accessible battery in my truck. Happy to offer a helping hand. I’m only about 20 min from PHX. Just message me as necessary.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:49 AM

10,911 posts, read 7,410,954 times
If you're talking Tucson, Precision Auto has been great for our Hondas.
https://www.tucsonprecisionservice.com

Last edited by steiconi; 03-08-2021 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,167,707 times
Quote:
Should we expect this to be a total loss?
This struck me as the oddest question of them all. Why would it be a total loss? Cars sit on dealer lots all the time. Sure, most are started at least occasionally before they hit a year old, but most cars are pretty hardy. Like the others said, you might need to do some maintenance on it, but as a general rule you should be fine.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Do you have AAA or a similar service? If not, *now* might be a good time to join. If push comes to shove, reach out. I’m working every day organizing and packing our house to move in three weeks but, I’ve got jumper cables and an easily accessible battery in my truck. Happy to offer a helping hand. I’m only about 20 min from PHX. Just message me as necessary.
Nice offer! Thanks.

Actually our car has a set of jumper cables in it. The parking manager at the airport says they have a battery service they can bring to our car. If that won't work, we have saved a few Roadside Assistance companies on our phone; they will bring a new battery and also air for tires, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive