Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,722,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Not supposed to be doing that, even with a manual transmission.
That was a question the CarTalk guys answered. Keeping one hand on the shifter is not recommended due to increased wear in parts. That surprised me, because I assumed it did no harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 12:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 3,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
With a button, or a dial. If it's automatic it's all an electronic signal anyway.
OK, so the button or dial, is still a "shifter", as it controls the transmission, and the century old practice of changing gears, is known as "shifting".....just like the control of the car's direction is known as "steering"....

Old 03-24-2021, 01:10 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,304,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The OP said he drives with his hand on the shifter. I'm assuming he's talking about a manual because there's no need to keep his hand on the shifter in an automatic.
I most certainly was talking about automatics. The reason I put my right hand on the shifter is not because of some need. It's just a place to put your hand.Actually, my elbow is on the console and the palm of my hand is on the shifter.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,526,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I most certainly was talking about automatics. The reason I put my right hand on the shifter is not because of some need. It's just a place to put your hand.Actually, my elbow is on the console and the palm of my hand is on the shifter.
So...doesn't that make you a bad driver? I mean, the rule has always been hands at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:08 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,334,107 times
Quote:

I said it before, you're not supposed to do that. Unless you're in the act of shifting, you're supposed to have both hands on the wheel for control of the car. Even if driving down a straight highway.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:14 PM

11,591 posts, read 6,072,690 times
I am OK with manual's disappearing. I am old and clutching in stop and go traffic isn't my favorite thing to do, but I still like to be part of the drive train. I wish a lot more manufacturers would offer a dual-clutch manual instead of only paddle-shifting autos. I have never seen a paddle-shift that was worth a darn or pleasing to drive.

I don't miss clutching or shifting, per se. It is a "fun" activity, but I know how slowly all my gear changes have been over the years. A dual-clutch manual shifts instantly and still gives you 100% control over the drive train and yet no dancing with the left leg.

I am not crushed to see conventional manual transmissions dying out. I am sure my fellow car nuts will crucify me for that, but it is how I feel. I am just sorry we are awash in slush boxes with no options for dual-clutch manuals. That stinks. Look at BMW. Dual-clutch is dead. 8 speed autos only. Why, BMW?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38715/...even-in-m-cars

On a related note, way too many people who drive dual-clutch manuals drive them like autos, as if there is a torque converter to take up the slack. You can't. You have to drive a dual-clutch manual just like a conventional manual. You can't go creeping along in idle like you can with an automatic transmission. Maybe that is why BMW dropped them? People were burning them out and then blaming BMW for making bad trannies.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:22 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,599,025 times
Quote:
Exactly the same as me, it’s just something that feels comfortable and natural.

Quote:
So...doesn't that make you a bad driver? I mean, the rule has always been hands at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3.
It may have been the suggested rule, but I rarely if ever had both hands on the wheel, I passed my driving test in a 3 ton truck in 1957, and drove professionally right up until 2012.
The only accident that I was ever involved in during all that time, was when I was stationary, being unloaded in a battery factory in Aubange, on the Belgian-Luxembourg border, and a Finnish truck driver accidentally sideswiped the trailer of my 18 wheeler.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:02 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,334,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
It may have been the suggested rule, but I rarely if ever had both hands on the wheel, I passed my driving test in a 3 ton truck in 1957, and drove professionally right up until 2012.
The only accident that I was ever involved in during all that time, was when I was stationary, being unloaded in a battery factory in Aubange, on the Belgian-Luxembourg border, and a Finnish truck driver accidentally sideswiped the trailer of my 18 wheeler.

I know a lot of people that drive badly and have for decades. Doesn't make it right. And I won't ride with them. Bad habits aren't proper driving, nor are they safe, even if YOU have never had a problem with them.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:00 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,869,788 times
Quote:
Whoaaa... Do we have a perfectionist here?

Rules? What rules? Dear OP. do you follow the "rules" always?

By the way, when you talk about "rules' remember that driving laws are actually just a philosophy!

If you, dear OP, follow that rule, how do you adjust the rearview mirror, while driving?
How do you move the small sticks on the side of your steering wheel which control the lights or windshield wipers?
Remember, your "rules" say to keep your hands at those positions you mention in your post?

Last but not least, can I put my hands on 10 & 3 or at 9 & 2 ?

Old 03-24-2021, 05:02 PM

4,646 posts, read 3,023,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Personally for an automatic I prefer the column shift over all others as it's intuitive and saves space.
And you don't have to look down, away from the road... because it's right in front of you. (good reason)

And if it was moved back to the column, that would leave more room for yet another cupholder,
phone compartment, or some such thing. (not a good reason, but still a reason)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive