Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 08:18 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,430,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
What happened to two shifters?

My brother drove double shifter semi trucks back in his trucking day’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 08:54 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am OK with manual's disappearing.
I am not, although my left knee and right shoulder may have other ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Last but not least, can I put my hands on 10 & 3 or at 9 & 2 ?
I'm a 8/9 and 12/1 driver myself. My right hand - when it's not shifting - likes to be at the top of the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I wonder what all these people who never take both hands from the wheel did when driving a manual transmission? Did they make sure they never drove without a passenger, then carefully synchronized engaging the clutch while directing their copilot to "shift!" then disengage the clutch again? Or what happened when they needed to use the turn signal? Roll down the window?

Those struggles must be real.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Clearly you don't remember the push button transmissions of the late 1950's
The buttons themselves were the "shifter".

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I could steer and shift with one hand, we were raised in a different time that’s all. We didn’t have all these rules on how your suppose to drive.
We did, but we ignored them so we could hold the map - or the pizza slice, or ... - in one hand and the beer in the other.

I mean, back then there were no cup holders, unless you got the aftermarket kind that anchored in the gap between the inner door panel and the window. What were you supposed to do with your beer?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,341,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I'm a 8/9 and 12/1 driver myself. My right hand - when it's not shifting - likes to be at the top of the wheel.

LOL

We did, but we ignored them so we could hold the map - or the pizza slice, or ... - in one hand and the beer in the other.

I mean, back then there were no cup holders, unless you got the aftermarket kind that anchored in the gap between the inner door panel and the window. What were you supposed to do with your beer?
You hold it between your legs.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,294,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct we didn’t have cell phones back in my time and GeoffD time. Our navigation system was a paper map that was hell try to refold. Then like he said had to have a hand free to drink our black label beer. I could steer and shift with one hand, we were raised in a different time that’s all. We didn’t have all these rules on how your suppose to drive. Boy those were the good ole days. And i forgot i had to have a hand free to smoke and flick my cigarette out the vent widow.

I drank better beer than that. You had to drive with your thigh while you popped the bottle cap with the opener on your key chain. LOL

With airbags and power steering, the accepted hand position on the steering wheel changed. You don't want to crash the car with your hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel or you'll punch yourself in the face as the bag deploys. I'm pretty sure I grew up with 10 o'clock/2 o'clock for two hands on the wheel and lots of cars didn't have power steering so you needed your hands that high for the leverage.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I drank better beer than that. You had to drive with your thigh while you popped the bottle cap with the opener on your key chain. LOL

With airbags and power steering, the accepted hand position on the steering wheel changed. You don't want to crash the car with your hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel or you'll punch yourself in the face as the bag deploys. I'm pretty sure I grew up with 10 o'clock/2 o'clock for two hands on the wheel and lots of cars didn't have power steering so you needed your hands that high for the leverage.
I drive still with only my left arm on the window sill and hand in the 9 position. Driving like this my whole life.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:

LOL

I tried those for my ashtray also i really miss the side vent windows especially when it’s raining and you wanted a little fresh air.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:

LOL

I know holding those Miller pony’s between your legs.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I remember Grandpa using the word clutch. But have no idea what he was talking about.
Ha! I drive a standard... a Kia Soul. Love it, and know it is probably the last of the standard shifts left, and probably the last car I will have with one.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:39 PM

11,543 posts, read 6,034,241 times
Manual transmission. The best anti-car-theft device you can own.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:04 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,610,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I remember Grandpa using the word clutch. But have no idea what he was talking about.
I remember a lot of things. My mother learned to drive in a Model T, then had to relearn a different shifting "touch" when the cotton transmission bands were replaced by longer-lasting wood. The first cars I rode in had wooden wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive