Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 02:24 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,475,231 times

Advertisements

I lived thru a minor hurricane that hit Houston and took power out for 2 to 3 weeks in a well to do area. Lines were above ground in a dense wooded section of the villages. Alicia hit there as a cat 1 in 1983 and the power was out in those high end areas. Not sure it could happen now with more lines being replaced under ground.

Tropical storms can be deadly with flooding as the NE saw with Ida. One of the largest property damage was from a tropic storm which flooded East and NE Houston with 2 feet of rain in 24 hours.

No issue with the EV idea in hurricne prone areas. An EV is a motorized big battery for many practical purposes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 04:16 PM

45,669 posts, read 61,090,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That doesn't make any sense. The Fusion Energi has an engine under the hood, so the battery can't 'go dead'. It could possibly go into reduced propulsion if you continuously drive it hard, but the car won't be disabled.

My Chevy Volt works similarly.
Don't know, other than the car was dead on the road. My guess is the owner didn't have gas in the tank.

I'll look to see the next time I'm by the guy's business. It may well have been the Focus and not the Fusion.

He's got all kinds of propaganda on it, lightning bolts, "The Ride of the Future", etc.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:20 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,846,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't know, other than the car was dead on the road. My guess is the owner didn't have gas in the tank.

I'll look to see the next time I'm by the guy's business. It may well have been the Focus and not the Fusion.

He's got all kinds of propaganda on it, lightning bolts, "The Ride of the Future", etc.
Ford did make a Focus EV. It's fairly rare though, and only has a 76 or 115 mile range, depending on year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_Electric

Old 09-05-2021, 03:15 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,288,091 times
Quote:
As RetireinPA mentioned there are those who live multiple tens of miles from town and grocery stores, he said it's 25 but I think it's more than that. And I can almost guarantee, unless one has been installed since I was up in July, that no one, including the motels has a public charger in that town.

My oldest daughter has a Bolt, other than her house the nearest public charger is 15 or so miles away aboard NAS PAX, and they're not really public but reserved for people working aboard the station.

Uh huh. So you live 30 miles from the grocery store and other stores... so how exactly are you going to burn through 300 miles of range?

Are you driving to the grocery store every day? And the grocery store and surrounding area is all running only on a generator?

Cuz if anyplace has electricity, you'll be able to find a place to charge up your car.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Uh huh. So you live 30 miles from the grocery store and other stores... so how exactly are you going to burn through 300 miles of range?

Are you driving to the grocery store every day? And the grocery store and surrounding area is all running only on a generator?

Cuz if anyplace has electricity, you'll be able to find a place to charge up your car.
Which EVs have 300 miles of range? My daughter's Bolt is 250 in warm weather, less when it's cold.

You don't live in a somewhat isolated area? If not, then you have no clue what that means and exactly what you have to do or how often. Get gas for a generator? That's another drive. And believe it or not, many businesses don't shut down for a natural disaster. I worked at a glass factory when a tornado touched down in the area. Almost every employee was without power for a week or more. Every employee was also expected to report to work during that time because the plant had power and was making bottles.

For the bolded, how does that work? Motel? Only if you have a room. Public chargers? Not if there aren't any?

Back to my daughter's Bolt. She went to PA for Christmas a couple years ago, a 325 mile trip. She planned her route to go past not one, not two but three charging stations. All three were out of order. Fortunately she and her husband and baby were able to get a motel room for the night.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:25 PM

11,096 posts, read 4,739,435 times
Quote:
I worked at a glass factory when a tornado touched down in the area. Almost every employee was without power for a week or more.

1985 right? There are still scars from up there over that in the ANF. a neighbor family whose camp was up there, had a home in niles ohio...the entire street they lived on, on both sides of their house, was destroyed, but the house stayed.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:24 AM

30,923 posts, read 19,532,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Saw on the news: some of the areas just hit by the recent hurricane and flooding are going to have the power grid down for at least a month,.

Is this going to cause a problem for the electric cars?
My sister hasn't had power since the day Ida hit and is not expecting to have it for another month so that's correct. It's a problem is all you have is an EV but she also has trouble getting gas as well. I have a Tesla and a Ram diesel so if I lived there, I would be fine since my Ram has a 50 gallon tank and can go 900 miles on a tank.

Ultimately I think it's hard to justify living near the Gulf coast as events like this keep happening and seem to be getting worse due to Global Warming.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:15 AM

30,696 posts, read 21,573,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My sister hasn't had power since the day Ida hit and is not expecting to have it for another month so that's correct. It's a problem is all you have is an EV but she also has trouble getting gas as well. I have a Tesla and a Ram diesel so if I lived there, I would be fine since my Ram has a 50 gallon tank and can go 900 miles on a tank.

Ultimately I think it's hard to justify living near the Gulf coast as events like this keep happening and seem to be getting worse due to Global Warming.
Lived near the gulf for 58 years and never had a cane yet or even a twig blow off a tree. My part of FL is dead and there is no longer cold weather or much rain.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
1985 right? There are still scars from up there over that in the ANF. a neighbor family whose camp was up there, had a home in niles ohio...the entire street they lived on, on both sides of their house, was destroyed, but the house stayed.
No, 1978/79. It was actually a series of microbursts that did the damage and not technically a tornado. Fortunately it was warm enough that when you got home from the 95 degree heat in the plant you could grab a coldish shower.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:36 AM

3,908 posts, read 2,385,347 times
Quote:
Which EVs have 300 miles of range? My daughter's Bolt is 250 in warm weather, less when it's cold
Mine has a 220 mile range when it's freezing out. And in the warmer weather it's this:

Quote:
Back to my daughter's Bolt. She went to PA for Christmas a couple years ago, a 325 mile trip. She planned her route to go past not one, not two but three charging stations. All three were out of order. Fortunately she and her husband and baby were able to get a motel room for the night.
We use mostly Electrify America chargers and have never had an issue, as there are 4-6 stations per location. We've taken numerous trips well over 300 miles: from Baltimore to Norwich, CT a few times (and my wife will be making that trip later this week) and from Baltimore to Greeneville, TN (we did use a Chargepoint station on that trip at the end, as it's only 10 miles from my BIL's house, so we topped off to drive around eastern TN for a week).

Seriously, unless you're road tripping though the hurricane area, it's just not going to be an issue in day to day use. And since hurricane's happen in later summer months, in warmer climate areas, you will get to use all the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive