Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 04:46 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
People are willing to go to absurdity to maintain a narrative.

Less absurd will be to keep a horse tied up outside....
Really? Kettle meet Pot.

Any 120V is a potential charger, that is reality - I have an EV that has done over 10K miles charged only on 120V - that gets about 50 miles range a night on a vehicle with max range of 78 miles. Most motels have a charger available or a 120V outlet outside - no need for extension cord.

Much more ridiculous is to think a horse tied up is less absurd - I guess you have broken with reality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 04:55 PM

37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I charged my Volt while I was at work my coworkers would have a fit. They'd be demanding gas vouchers or something.
Right, so have it metered and pay for it. Or the workplace can incentivize people getting EVs for larger environmental reasons and local emissions reason as some companies do. Going either direction is fine. If your workplace did have charging, metered or not, would you really refuse to use it? Would none of your co-workers be even slightly more likely to get a plug-in vehicle?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-07-2021 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 05:38 PM

45,468 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Really? Kettle meet Pot.

Any 120V is a potential charger, that is reality - I have an EV that has done over 10K miles charged only on 120V - that gets about 50 miles range a night on a vehicle with max range of 78 miles. Most motels have a charger available or a 120V outlet outside - no need for extension cord.

Much more ridiculous is to think a horse tied up is less absurd - I guess you have broken with reality
No, most don't have a charger nor can you vampire from their maintenance outlets. You are looking at just your particular limited experience in urban areas.

Near where I usually stay:

Brookville, PA 15825 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Where I usually stay:

Cooksburg, PA 16217 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Where I sometimes stay:

Butler, PA 16001 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Also where I sometimes stay:

Clarion, PA 16214 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Where I live:

http://solvingev.com/charging-statio...north-beach-md

Old 09-07-2021, 06:01 PM

1,256 posts, read 831,054 times
Automobiles are a relatively recent invention in human history. Maintaining access to a functional one under severe edge cases may be a challenge, regardless of whether you are counting on electric infrastructure or gasoline infrastructure.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, most don't have a charger nor can you vampire from their maintenance outlets. You are looking at just your particular limited experience in urban areas.

Where I usually stay:

Cooksburg, PA 16217 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Where I sometimes stay:

Butler, PA 16001 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Also where I sometimes stay:

Clarion, PA 16214 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

Where I live:

North Beach, MD 20714 - Electric Car Charging Stations Map

That doesn't track 120V outlets. Most of these don't track standard outlets, probably because they don't charge all that quickly. You're talking about 20 to 60 miles overnight depending on the vehicle with that, so it doesn't generally get tracked. That's not to say that the motel will or won't let you charge off the standard outlet--just that it doesn't get tracked. Best bet is to ask ahead of time.

What's in the area anyhow? Is it a pretty neat place to travel to? What are the highlights?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-07-2021 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 07:07 PM

10,921 posts, read 4,580,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

they really think indiana is 30 miles from brookville? downtown to downtown, 45 miles at least!

Holy cow, go AWAY from brookville to cooksburg and they in the same magical 30 miles list indiana and now the rock!

I sure hope to heck no one uses that website or there are gonna be a lot of EV tows....

It didnt list the 4 never used 'pumps' at clarion walmart...mebbe they broke?

eta: the horse looks better all the time because it can eat part of the route to destination,,,,

who would want a life where they carry a spare charger cord ($5 gets you $10 they do not consider the ampacity of the cord so now we gotta worry about THAT) hoping for an outlet you get to sponge off.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:00 PM

8,359 posts, read 6,449,014 times
If you have a electric car look over your neighbors house to where you might sneak a extension chord and plug into after dark

Old 09-07-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If you have a electric car look over your neighbors house to where you might sneak a extension chord and plug into after dark

How cheap and unethical are you?

Old 09-07-2021, 09:16 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Responses above in bold.

Sure, I suppose I could have found some power to use during those three days. But, I was busy as heck those three days. The last thing I'd have wanted to do was hunt down power and wait for charging. Much easier to just pull into a gas station and fill up in 5 minutes. Or, baring that, using my backup supply of gas cans.

I think EVs would work for most people in most post-storm scenarios, but the point of being prepared for those storms is preparing and making things as easy as possible in a worst-case scenario. I mean, every May I replenish my Hurricane Kit and most years never need to use it. But it's there.
I don’t think an extension cord to charge my car is an unreasonable request. While it isn’t fast, I’m at work for 8 hours minimum so I’ll get plenty of charge. That isn’t an ultimatum to my employer. That’s them being reasonable. And I haven’t worked anywhere that would be that unreasonable.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:07 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why? Charging at 120V is mostly if really needed such as with a hurricane just to get to the next fast charger. Charging overnight will give about 30-60 miles and use under $1 of electricity most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive