Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 04:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,754,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
So they stay, and where are they going with their regular cars? NOWHERE!

Can you "quickly" get around in that with your ICE car? NO. That's why you evacuate when you're told to. EV OR ICE.
Very few places actually flood like that. The ones that do get all the media attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 04:57 PM

10,946 posts, read 4,639,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
So they stay, and where are they going with their regular cars? NOWHERE!

Can you "quickly" get around in that with your ICE car? NO. That's why you evacuate when you're told to. EV OR ICE.

quite a few tesli, bolts, mach-e and etrons down there I see

Old 09-06-2021, 07:56 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,408,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
There are plenty of essential workers who are expected to quickly get back to work....or, you know, not have a job.
Few are, you know, actually essential, especially if no power. We were considered essential but asked to work remotely - Computer and telephones were more important than sitting in a dark office with no power and no phones. We were out 3 or 4 days until power was restored to where we worked.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:06 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,408,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
You seem to be attacking me like I was attacking EVs or said ICE was better. Neither of the above. Was just pushing back on another poster's assertion that everyone can just evacuate, and, once evacuated, can just stay gone from the area until power is fully restored to all residential sectors. You know tangential discussions and all.

And it doesn't require a near-apocalyptic scenario like your pictures show to not have power for days or weeks following a storm.
Guess what, if you live in these areas - evacuating can be and sometimes is required - I guess you have little real experience with these situations. BTW - that is type of conditions I was talking about - NOLA is below sea level and you can not get around in even more minor storms sometimes with the flooding.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:05 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,639,211 times
It'll be interesting to see a roundup of real world experiences of people with EVs and gas cars who have been hard hit by Ida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Posts #10 and #21 are what I was referring to. I couldn't remember exactly what the issue was.

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/canâ...erator.330891/

Oh, that's good. So if you trust those posts, it looks like if it happens to be an issue, it's a very simple adjustment to make it work, or if you're buying a generator, it's not too hard to do so with the consideration that you may charge your EV from it at some point.

Quote:
Ford did make a Focus EV. It's fairly rare though, and only has a 76 or 115 mile range, depending on year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_Electric

Yea! It's interesting to see how far Ford has gotten within a decade's time and with a more dedicated EV platform.

A 2012 Ford Focus Electric was derived from the ICE Ford Focus and had a base cost in 2021 dollars of about $48K. That yielded an EPA range of 76 miles, level 2 max charging speed of 6.6 kW, no DC fast charging, and has a rather pokey 0-60 mph of over 10 seconds. Despite the rather short range, the battery densities at the time and lack of a dedicated platform meant most of the hatchback's rear storage was taken up by the batteries, so there was relatively little storage room.

Compare that to a base 2022 Mach E that starts at about $43K and yield a base range of 230 miles, level 2 max charging speed of 11kW, base 115 kW DC charging, public chargers actually being somewhat common in the lower 48 and a much faster base 0-60 mph of 5.8 seconds. Even with effectively a lower price and much better specs including about 3X the range, the Mach E manages to have not just a very usable and large rear storage, but also a cavernous "frunk".

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which EVs have 300 miles of range? My daughter's Bolt is 250 in warm weather, less when it's cold.

You don't live in a somewhat isolated area? If not, then you have no clue what that means and exactly what you have to do or how often. Get gas for a generator? That's another drive. And believe it or not, many businesses don't shut down for a natural disaster. I worked at a glass factory when a tornado touched down in the area. Almost every employee was without power for a week or more. Every employee was also expected to report to work during that time because the plant had power and was making bottles.

For the bolded, how does that work? Motel? Only if you have a room. Public chargers? Not if there aren't any?

Back to my daughter's Bolt. She went to PA for Christmas a couple years ago, a 325 mile trip. She planned her route to go past not one, not two but three charging stations. All three were out of order. Fortunately she and her husband and baby were able to get a motel room for the night.

Right now, the EVs with 300 miles or more of range in the US are variants of the four Tesla vehicles on sale and the Ford Mach E. The Teslas generally under perform for most real world driving habits and conditions compared to EPA range, but are generally sizably above 300 miles on the official ratings, that the long range versions will do 300 fine. The Mach E hits close just a bit above 300 with the official rating, though unlike Tesla, it appears the Mach E in real world driving tests hits about or above its official rating in most real world driving comparisons. That's just five vehicles now, though supposedly by the end of the year that'll just about double in the US with the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Lucid Air, Mercedes EQS, and Rimac Nevera. Mind you, most of these are pretty well above the median price of a vehicle (especially the Nevera), though I don't think it'll be long before we have vehicles that start well below the median transaction price that have as much range as the expensive premium EVs have today. After all, it took only a few years for there to be a Chevy Bolt to be released with about as much range as the earliest "long range" Model S did when the Model S had a then unthinkable for 2012 range of 265 miles per full charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
So you drive 10 miles out of your way to charge up instead of around the corner for gas?

You don't generally drive anyway to charge up, because most people who buy EVs just charge at work and/or home. You never have to even go out of your way to drive around the corner.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:12 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,639,211 times
Quote:
Posts #10 and #21 are what I was referring to. I couldn't remember exactly what the issue was.

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/canâ...erator.330891/
Oh, that's good. From those posts, it looks like if it happens to be an issue, it's a very simple adjustment to make it work, or if you're buying a generator, it's not too hard to do so with the consideration that you may charge your EV from it at some point.

Quote:
Ford did make a Focus EV. It's fairly rare though, and only has a 76 or 115 mile range, depending on year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_Electric
Yea! It's interesting to see how far Ford has gotten within a decade's time and with a more dedicated EV platform.

A 2012 Ford Focus Electric was derived from the ICE Ford Focus and had a base cost in 2021 dollars of about $48K. That yielded an EPA range of 76 miles, level 2 max charging speed of 6.6 kW, no DC fast charging, and has a rather pokey 0-60 mph of over 10 seconds. Despite the rather short range, the battery densities at the time and lack of a dedicated platform meant most of the hatchback's rear storage was taken up by the batteries, so there was relatively little storage room.

Compare that to a base 2022 Mach E that starts at about $43K and yield a base range of 230 miles, level 2 max charging speed of 11kW, base 115 kW DC charging, public chargers actually being somewhat common in the lower 48 and a much faster base 0-60 mph of 5.8 seconds. Even with effectively a lower price and much better specs including about 3X the range, the Mach E manages to have not just a very usable and large rear storage, but also a cavernous "frunk".

Quote:
Which EVs have 300 miles of range? My daughter's Bolt is 250 in warm weather, less when it's cold.

You don't live in a somewhat isolated area? If not, then you have no clue what that means and exactly what you have to do or how often. Get gas for a generator? That's another drive. And believe it or not, many businesses don't shut down for a natural disaster. I worked at a glass factory when a tornado touched down in the area. Almost every employee was without power for a week or more. Every employee was also expected to report to work during that time because the plant had power and was making bottles.

For the bolded, how does that work? Motel? Only if you have a room. Public chargers? Not if there aren't any?

Back to my daughter's Bolt. She went to PA for Christmas a couple years ago, a 325 mile trip. She planned her route to go past not one, not two but three charging stations. All three were out of order. Fortunately she and her husband and baby were able to get a motel room for the night.
Right now, the EVs with 300 miles or more of range in the US are variants of the four Tesla vehicles on sale and the Ford Mach E. The Teslas generally under perform for most real world driving habits and conditions compared to EPA range, but are generally sizably above 300 miles on the official ratings, that the long range versions will do 300 fine. The Mach E hits close just a bit above 300 with the official rating, though unlike Tesla, it appears the Mach E in real world driving tests hits about or above its official rating in most real world driving comparisons.

That's just five vehicles now, though supposedly by the end of the year that'll just about double in the US with the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Lucid Air, Mercedes EQS, and Rimac Nevera. Mind you, most of these are pretty well above the median price of a vehicle (especially the Nevera), though I don't think it'll be long before we have vehicles that start well below the median transaction price that have as much range as the expensive premium EVs have today. After all, it took only a few years for there to be a Chevy Bolt to be released with about as much range as the earliest "long range" Model S did when the Model S had a then unthinkable for 2012 range of 265 miles per full charge.

If she did that a couple of years ago, then supposedly there are a lot more chargers now than there were then and Electrify America which is probably the largest fast charger network has supposedly gotten better about servicing its charger network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
So you drive 10 miles out of your way to charge up instead of around the corner for gas?
You don't generally drive anyway to charge up, because most people who buy EVs just charge at work and/or home. You never have to even go out of your way to drive around the corner.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:46 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,149,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Few are, you know, actually essential, especially if no power. We were considered essential but asked to work remotely - Computer and telephones were more important than sitting in a dark office with no power and no phones. We were out 3 or 4 days until power was restored to where we worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Guess what, if you live in these areas - evacuating can be and sometimes is required - I guess you have little real experience with these situations. BTW - that is type of conditions I was talking about - NOLA is below sea level and you can not get around in even more minor storms sometimes with the flooding.
To the bolded: Hahahahahahaha. Seriously, dude, don't be a keyboard warrior. I live in FL. Been through plenty. And my wife is a nurse, so, you know, a truly "essential" worker--not someone who needs to worry about computers, telephones, and dark offices .

Those type of conditions may be what you were trying to talk about about, but A) you didn't say that, and B) those types of conditions following storms are rather rare. They get a lot of media coverage mostly because they are so rare. And, yes, NOLA is unique in that respect. But, at the end of day, this thread is about "Hurricanes and Electric Cars." If you have a situation like that, no, it doesn't matter if you have an ICE or an EV because your car is flooded anyway.

What this thread is about is: If I have an EV, how much easier/harder would it be to evacuate? If I come back after evacuating and have no power, how easy/hard is it to get my car charged? If I stay and don't have power, how easy/hard to get my car charged? Again, your stated situation is rare. But, lots of people are without power for days or weeks due to downed power lines. Lots of people are without power that were in voluntary evac zones or even no evac zone. Lots of people are without power without anything more than a couple of downed palm fronds on their own property.

I know 75% of C-D posters seem to think that everyone works in an office, but there are tons of jobs/businesses that are going to reopen as soon as the all clear is given and expect their workers to be there: grocery stores, gas stations/convenience stores, drug stores, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, police, fire,etc. Many of those places here have generators, and even if they don't businesses are often given priority for power repair.

So, again, the idea that everyone can just evacuate and stay gone until all the power is back is not the reality on the ground.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:40 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,282,727 times
Quote:
Any 110 V outlet.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:01 AM

45,575 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Any 110 V outlet.
So you'll run an extension cord out of motel your room to charge your car?

Old 09-07-2021, 10:04 AM

10,946 posts, read 4,639,710 times
Quote:
So you'll run an extension cord out of motel your room to charge your car?

People are willing to go to absurdity to maintain a narrative.

Less absurd will be to keep a horse tied up outside....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive