Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 05:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

You bought the alternator. You cannot hold him responsible for you buying a defective part. Pay him three times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 04:26 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Interesting post on South Main Auto's FB page today..

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/pos...79240465560892

For those of you who might not be able to see that..

Quote:
Gosh I hate warranty redo's! Especially when the warranty company (Napa) will not pay your full labor rate @napaknowhow why should I be penalized for their parts? A question I've always had that no one can answer.... The not so fun part of this job.

For the record my local Napa stores are awesome. It's the corporation that needs to step up the game on the warranty claim payout. #notmyfault

Old 10-14-2021, 06:46 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I bought an alternator for my truck. I was going to put it on myself. But once I realized the radiator would have to be removed, I asked a mechanic to do it. He charged me $300. As soon as I got it home, it became clear to me that the replacement alternator has a bad bearing. The mechanic did not notice it, apparently. I called the parts store where I bought the alternator (it was a rebuilt alternator), and they said just bring it in and they will swap it out for another one. Surely I can't expect the mechanic to take it off, and put the replacement alternator on, can I? I mean, not without paying him another $300. I gave him the alternator, and asked him to put it on. He did his job. I haven't talked to him yet. But I'm just asking what you think I should expect. Thank you.
That someone would even ask about this is one reason why my shop does not install customer provided parts.

Seriously, you have to ask if someone should do a job twice and get paid once?

At my shop we are very particular about sourcing only the most reliable parts and hardly once in a blue moon do we have a defective alternator.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:48 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Maybe return that alternator for cash and buy a different brand. If your vehicle is a quality build such as Toyota it's worth buying an OEM part if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time.

And pull that radiator yourself this time as punishment for a bad choice!
You can go wrong with Denso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive