Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,392,491 times

Advertisements

There are electronic devices that you can install that will run them off.

They are attracted by electrical insulation that contains soy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 07:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
I use mothballs in my engine compartment and inside my RV when I park it for the winter. Also strong smelling Soap bars like Irish Spring.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:52 AM

942 posts, read 392,914 times
I've had two cars hit by squirrels. Was able to find and splice about 20 wires in a cluster on one, but the other was hidden from sight and had to go into the shop.

Now I take an equal part water and ammonia mixture and spray the entire engine compartment down including the sound fabric under the hood. Been doing this every couple of months and haven't had any problems since. Don't see signs of sticks, leaves, etc around the engine either.

Learned about the ammonia years ago when one got into our basement. Was told to saturate a few rags in ammonia and place in a few spots around the basement and open the basement door. Sure enough, he (she) hated the smell and was gone in short order.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:05 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
We had $1,800 worth of damage from small critters, maybe mice or rats. I think mothballs sound like a great idea. Good strong smell and stays around for a long time. The critters started out loving our insulation around the engine, etc., to build nests in, and went on to chew up everything. For people who have to park their cars outside, the stronger the smell, the better, I figure.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:26 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I tried mothballs and they didn't work. I finally tried an electronic pest repelling device that hooks to the battery. I haven't had any problem since. I would link you to the one I bought but it says it isn't available anymore.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:58 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
I've lived in the suburbs, next to a forest, for decades, but never had this problem before. Brought my car with a Check Engine light to a mechanic, who found some damaged wires and acorn remnants under a engine-control cover. He said he gets the cars with rodent damage all the time. Apparently, Toyota and others have thought it cute to use soybean products for wire insulation!
As you've discovered, it's an industry wide problem.

The wire insulation smells and tastes like vanilla. Rodents LOVE it. Insurance companies DON'T cover the damage either.
Regarding manufacturers thinking it's "cute" to use soy based insulation instead of petroleum based insulation, you can thank the United States EPA for this. I just want you to know WHO the responsible party is in this mess.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:53 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
We tried the electronic thing that attached to the battery, too, but it ran the battery down to where it was designed to stop and the critters came back. We were only gone a month.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just another reason to love my new tightly built garage. Sure, its possible a vole or mouse could squeeze under the door, but less likely. No way would I ever own a cat.
I car sat for my friend for a few years. It stayed outside. Wiring got eaten. I think rabbits back then.

The cars in my garage, never got touched.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:11 AM

640 posts, read 450,572 times
Default If you can take the smell . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
I've had two cars hit by squirrels. Was able to find and splice about 20 wires in a cluster on one, but the other was hidden from sight and had to go into the shop.

Now I take an equal part water and ammonia mixture and spray the entire engine compartment down including the sound fabric under the hood. Been doing this every couple of months and haven't had any problems since. Don't see signs of sticks, leaves, etc around the engine either.

Learned about the ammonia years ago when one got into our basement. Was told to saturate a few rags in ammonia and place in a few spots around the basement and open the basement door. Sure enough, he (she) hated the smell and was gone in short order.
Thanks for the idea. But wouldn't I smell that inside the car every time I drive it? Same goes for the moth balls. I have a good sense of smell, thank God. In fact, strong smells like fresh paint give me headaches.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:17 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
I park my truck in an enclosed barn in the evenings and last summer our rodent populations exploded here at our west Texas farm. They ate into the firewall wiring on my '14 F150 Platinum 4x4 (lots of wiring!) which literally killed the truck. Luckily I was able to find the damage and repair it myself.

To try and control these populations, initially I tried mothballs, night lights and spraying the engines of my tractors, UTV and the truck with various odors. Earlier on I had also tried barn cats but the coyotes ate them so I tried dogs to protect the cats. That worked until the coyotes began eating the small dogs so I tried large dogs, e.g., Great Pyrenees. That worked until my "neighbors" stole, or shot, the GPs when they wandered off the farm.

These days the only thing that seems to work, is rodent poison (JT Eaton bait blocks). Putting the bait out daily, it has taken several months to knock the rodent populations down in my barns but I'm now seeing a lot less rodent signs and damage there.

However, the one thing that I know that has worked to prevent rodent damage in my engine compartments in the barns, is to leave the hoods open. Rodents like cover and darkness to do their foul deeds and so far it has worked very well. And to keep the coyotes at bay, I now have two large valueless-to-human pound puppies who watch over the farm and do not wander.

Be aware though that some rodents will still do their dirty deeds right in the open. One of my old Ford 8n tractors that sits out in the open was totally disabled last summer when the ignition wires directly above the open engine area were chewed into.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 02-11-2022 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive