Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,906 times

Advertisements

Do people in your area drive the speed limit?

I'm not talking about 5 mph over. I'm talking about driving exactly around speed limit or under. Is it odd when someone goes past the speed limit?

Do people in your area drive past the speed limit only on highways, but stay at or below the limit on the normal road? Vice-versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM

67 posts, read 209,600 times
Hell no. Where I live, people drive down the road fast on purpose, with stereo loud. They probably saw it done on MTV or BET or something.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Either 15 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane or 20 MPH over the speed limit in the right lane. Nice huh? And you can imagine what the middle lane is like. Try and guess where I live.

On the local roads, I would say around/slightly above the speed limit is typical. Actually they don't drive too bad on the local roads.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,183 times
People in my area generally go about 10 miles over the speed limit and only get "pulled over" if they run into a pole.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Ha hell no. People drive pretty fast in San Diego, the slow lane usually moves at around the speed limit but the fast lane is pretty much at least 80mph+ most times. This morning on the way to work I was doing 88mph but so was everyone else in my lane traveling about one or two car lengths away from each other. If you drive under 80mph in the fast lane here you will intentionally get cut off. But the drivers here know how to drive and I like it cuz I got a lead foot too.

On surface streets its still above the speed limit but closer to it. But some of the main roads here have really high speed limits, some roads I see that are 50mph speed limit would be 35mph in other places.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM

146 posts, read 688,898 times
I seriously never thought there was any place in the country where people drive at the speed limit.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
I seriously never thought there was any place in the country where people drive at the speed limit.
I thought so too, but I've read posts on different boards on how transplants are "crazy" for driving over the speed limit, which makes it sound like speeding is an "imported" idea.

I can agree maybe with stuff like tailgating, or not signaling, but speeding is something I thought occurs everywhere.

I even thought tailgating or not signaling was an everywhere occurance. It's just people being people, no matter where they are from?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Here, I swear people TRY to NOT drive the speed limit. Most people take the Im-going-to-jail-if-I-get-caught-at-this-speed approach, yet there are some that could literally ride a bicycle faster than they drive their cars.

The worst incident I can remember? I was driving on I-88 westbound from Naperville and was passed ON THE SHOULDER of the road by about 10 sportbikes easily doing 120-150 mph WHILE DOING WHEELIES.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:32 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
I heard in Portland and Seattle most of the people there drive the speed limit and below and are courteous to the point where it's annoying; "no after you, no no after you" type stuff.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM

146 posts, read 688,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I heard in Portland and Seattle most of the people there drive the speed limit and below and are courteous to the point where it's annoying; "no after you, no no after you" type stuff.
That sounds like a real pain. But I wonder if, all things being equal, slower average highway speeds are safer. Since the most dangerous thing to do on a highway is drive at a significantly different speed from everyone else (and you can assume some percentage of people are going to do that at any given time), would accidents be less fatal if the driving speeds were slower when they happened to occur? Seems to make sense, but it's just off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive