Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 11:39 PM

10,011 posts, read 5,715,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
When it comes to AC use at low speeds and highway speeds versus fuel consumption, it is not as simple as you have explained above.
Yes it is.

Quote:
The following is a lengthily technical article about it:
https://yourgreatcar.com/how-much-fu...ar-ac-consume/

Quote:
While your engine is running idle, car AC consumes the highest amount of fuel.

AC in a still car as opposed to when it’s traveling can consume about twice the amount of fuel. Since starting motors of a car also needs power. They can take 5-10 horsepower in a car
This explanation is nonsensical. It may consume twice the amount of fuel [i]as a proportion of total fuel consumed/[i]; and maybe it consume a bit more fuel overall because the compressor will need to run slightly more frequently to achieve the same task at idle; but engine load is engine load is engine load irrespective of RPMs If an engaged A/C compressor consumes, say, 8 horsepower at idle, it will do the same at 1,200rpm or 2,000RPM or 5,000RPM or WOT. The compressor's power consumption will shrink as a proportion of horsepower consumption at higher engine loads associated with higher wind drag at speed; but the power draw as a numerator stays the same no matter the engine load denominator.

Quote:
Once the har is moving at high speed, the engine is producing all the HP needed to propel the vehicle at such speed, and the use of AC does not affect the engine HP.
Yes it does. Try looking at the chart in your own source where their calculated HP draw of a running A/C compressor is exactly the same irrespective of the car's speed or engine RPM. Here's their own succinct summary:

Quote:
A car consumes 3 liters per hour of fuel at 30 mph. Then AC fuel consumption is about 0.6 liter per hour. And a car consumes 17 liters of fuel per hour at 120 mph. Even then car AC consumes 0.6 liters of fuel per hour.

Quote:
The fuel usage at high speeds is greater because the engine has to provide greater HP to propel the vehicle, but the AC does not need additional engine power.
I cannot wrap my brain around your persistent belief a car's accessories can get just magically pull free power from thin air. So here's an infallible rule of thumb: if your car's accessories are powered by the engine -- either directly by a crankshaft pulley or through the alternator acting as an intermediary between an electrical accessory and the crankshaft pully -- then it increases fuel consumption. Period. No exceptions. End of story. The fuel consumption increase may be negligible in many cases, but it's not free.

It's one reason for instance why OEMs have moved toward LED lights; they draw 1/10th the energy of their incandescent counterparts. An article I read on the subject some time ago estimated the fuel economy savings of replacing incandescent lights with LEDs at 0.2mpg. It doesn't sound like much, but as part of a holistic approach, every tenth of a gallon you can shave here or there counts when you're mandated to hit increasingly stringent fuel economy targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 01:44 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,427,160 times
Does using the heater or ac affect your range on an ev,

Old 10-01-2022, 01:59 PM

30,485 posts, read 21,369,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Ya. I never used heat on my Bolt since i am in FL. And never used the A/C since i was always a 10 min drive from home.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:02 PM

19,075 posts, read 14,013,809 times
It does, but at least in Teslas, not as much as everyone makes it out to be. I don’t know about others. Cold in and of itself saps battery more.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-01-2022, 03:01 PM

10,011 posts, read 5,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Yes -- sometimes minimally, sometimes considerably, depending on a number of conditions.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:29 PM

30,485 posts, read 21,369,664 times
My Bolt loved temps around 85 to 90f for range and i noitced a big drop in the winter with highs around 75f or lower. But my Corvette loves colder weather and feels like it has 50 more hp on cold days vs the summer.

Old 10-01-2022, 04:51 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,395,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Take a Tesla LRDM model with 335mi of range, theoretically if you are stuck in traffic you would lose range. I don't know how much loss from just driving less than 15mph avg or idling a lot. But you shouldn't be able to get 335mi of range at all. Maybe it would get about 250mi of range only in ideal situation.

With a gas powered car, if your range is something like 400mi range with a full tank. Moving at about 15mph avg would likely cut total range by 1/4. Maybe about 300mi total in ideal situation.

This is just a guess because Gas powered cars have one advantage is that it actually generates more electricity to power the car's radio, fans, and computers while Tesla cannot generate electricity at all unless it is in motion and not using power.

So I don't think that EVs will outlast gas cars by much. It is still more efficient if you don't use much power inside the car but if you choose to run the radio and air conditioning it may fare much worst than gas cars.

There maybe a website that has done this test but I can only think of from engineering terms what the power draw and gains comes from each type of power plant.
Not close to reality - a Tesla uses very little energy "idling", even using AC, uses about 1% an hour just to run A/C and the other stuff - at 15 MPH probably gets 5 Mile per KW or more so at 15 MPH probably get 450 miles or 30 hours of use at that speed - about 50% more than your ICE.

Old 10-01-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Do EV's have circuit breakers that trip if the car is driven through high water?
You can drive an EV through pretty deep water without issue -

Google "Tesla boat mode" to see some videos associated

Old 10-01-2022, 05:24 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,234,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You can drive an EV through pretty deep water without issue -

Google "Tesla boat mode" to see some videos associated
Just because you drive a car through high water and it's still going doesn't mean you haven't caused any problems.

My bigger worry about that would be Tesla's low build quality.

Old 10-01-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Just because you drive a car through high water and it's still going doesn't mean you haven't caused any problems.

My bigger worry about that would be Tesla's low build quality.
So negative every time, try to NOT detract from every statement ever made about a Tesla. Your "worries" are unfounded according to Munro and associates that actually look closely at builds - I trust experts more than your opinion that is based on no real experience.

Try driving through deep water in your average car - most ICE would not make it through and would need extensive repairs with a flooded engine and wet electronics.

Tesla China actually tests the Model 3 by driving some of them through water - https://twitter.com/i/status/1198270609106464768

Here is a guy in Russia driving through a flooded tunnel around all the stuck ICE vehicles - https://youtu.be/FszARiU_jRI

Here is a guy that drove a Model S through a 7 foot deep pool twice - a new Plaid edition - first time floated through so he had it weighted down to essentially get water over the entire windshield but still floated some and still drove fine for 9 months until he crashed it going over 170 MPH on the track a few months ago - https://youtu.be/Npnwau-XZd0?t=909

Last edited by ddeemo; 10-01-2022 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive