Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 02:19 PM

5,592 posts, read 5,044,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
I think the problem with sedans today, and why less people are interested in them, is because it's really hard to make a sedan distinctive. There have been so many regulations imposed on passenger cars (which are not also pushed onto truck / SUV platforms) that all the cars end up more or less looking the same.

You could take a dozen cars, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Toyota, Nissan, and buy the same sized car from the same car class and buy them in the same color, and they will all look almost identical... like, from 40 feet away you couldn't tell one from the other.

But because full and medium sized SUVs and trucks do not have to abide by the same regulations and requirements as normal passenger cars, their designs can be a bit more distinctive.

Also, of course... people generally don't like having passenger cars and being behind something like a Chevy Suburban or a Ford F350 Super Duty. I have a Pontiac Fiero in storage... I haven't driven it in like 13 years... but I don't even know what it would be like to drive it around with some of the enormous vehicles that are on the road today, haha... I'd think many vehicles wouldn't even see me if I was directly in front of them.
These new cars all look alike. I sit in a Camry and as I sit in it, I cannot see myself spending that kind of $$$ on a car that I cannot look at. The body and interior styling has no appeal to me and these cars are not high performance cars. They are run of the mill everday driving cars to blend in for a beater car to me.

But again as previously mentioned all of these new vehicles look alike even SUV's to me.
You want character and style you have to go old school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 02:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 5,177,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Anyone notice newer Model Camry SEs everywhere. The Camry in Se form in the latest model looks a bit like a spaceship or hoovercraft and its pretty cool. Its crazy expensive too. When I went to the Toyota dealer both the SE and XSE were sold. I am noticing a lot of nice performance sedans out now. I think a lot of people have SUV fatigue and want a drivers car again. I got into it too. Last month I got a 16 Altima SR 2.5 with the sports suspension and it rocks.

Did they finally remove the awful CVTs in these appliances?

Last edited by 28173; 10-11-2022 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Did they finally removed the awful CVTs in these appliances?
No I believe the Camry has an 8 spd. automatic and the Toyota Corolla comes with CVT at extra cost with 6 spd. manual available at no extra cost but I believe they are discontinuing the 6 spd. manual for good in the appliance line of the Corolla line. Most of the Corollas coming in are all CVT. 6 spd. manual transmission is rare.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,512,979 times
I think Korean and Japanese company will continue offering at least a few sedan options but there's no denying the overall trend is heavily towards SUVs of some form. Same way muscle cars went from dominate in 1970s to a niche product with limited availability but still around in 2022.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think Korean and Japanese company will continue offering at least a few sedan options but there's no denying the overall trend is heavily towards SUVs of some form. Same way muscle cars went from dominate in 1970s to a niche product with limited availability but still around in 2022.
Yes it is like the way of the manual transmission has gone with the new generation of drivers that cannot drive a manual transmission so now more automatic transmissions are equipped in new vehicles.

I notice too more detailing places appeared as more SUVs appeared on the road. Must be that people have a hard time cleaning these big SUVs and don't mind spending $$$$ for someone else to do it for them.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:26 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,626,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I believe they are discontinuing the 6 spd. manual for good in the appliance line of the Corolla line
Yes, Toyota is discntinuing the Corolla MT with the exception of the GR Corolla which I believe only comes with MT.

Although the chance of a CVT failure is probabl low, they seem to cost as much as $8000 to buy and install a new one. A simple cluch failure in a MT could cost you ~$1000. That is considerably worse than the average cost for turbocharger assembly replacement is between $1,887 and $2,177.

In 16 years the most expensive maintenance bill in my naturally aspirated 4 speed auomatic (with gears) has been "All 4 brake pads & 4 rotors" which was $781.21. The fuel economy isn't very good compared to a CVT, but bottom line the cost of extra gasoline is nohing compared to whopping repair bills,

Last edited by PacoMartin; 10-11-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Yes, Toyota is discntinuing the Corolla MT with the exception of the GR Corolla which I believe only comes with MT.

Although the chance of a CVT failure is probabl low, they seem to cost as much as $8000 to buy and install a new one. A simple cluch failure in a MT could cost you ~$1000. That is considerably worse than the average cost for turbocharger assembly replacement is between $1,887 and $2,177.

In 16 years the most expensive maintenance bill in my naturally aspirated 4 speed auomatic (with gears) has been "All 4 brake pads & 4 rotors" which was $781.21. The fuel economy isn't very good compared to a CVT, but bottom line the cost of extra gasoline is nohing compared to whopping repair bills,

I won't be getting no GR Corolla spending twice the price of what a 4 cylinder SE Corolla costs that gets better gas mileage with those 4 cylinders than that 3 cylinder Turbo engine on a stripped GR Corolla with no amenities to save on weight. That's just not the kind of car I want or need which costs more than the Corolla that will give me lower cost in all areas of maintenance and insurance.
In that scenario I probably go with the SE Corrola with CVT over the GR Yaris/Corolla with 3 cylinders with turbo and manual transmission.

Now on which car is this on your 16 years with 4 speed auto with gears and 4 brake pads and rotors $781.21 bill?

Ii spent about $1,600 for my complete brake replacement/maintenance bill.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:44 PM

24,516 posts, read 33,355,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
These new cars all look alike. I sit in a Camry and as I sit in it, I cannot see myself spending that kind of $$$ on a car that I cannot look at. The body and interior styling has no appeal to me and these cars are not high performance cars. They are run of the mill everday driving cars to blend in for a beater car to me.

But again as previously mentioned all of these new vehicles look alike even SUV's to me.
You want character and style you have to go old school.
I agree but for some reason, some people will never admit it. Don't know why... it's so obvious.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I agree but for some reason, some people will never admit it. Don't know why... it's so obvious.
Everything now is electronic and trackable. Not like the old classics with fine lines and mechanical in nature.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:28 PM

586 posts, read 311,949 times
Retired now and not doing long trips as when’s was younger. Gotabig sedans d a big SUV. SUV is 12 years old with 88k miles. The sedan is 8 years old with 63k on it. Both have been flawless since I bought them new. I define flaw less as no wont start. Excepting a dead battery and nothing but Rroutine mintence. Plan to keep them a long time while we get EV sorted out. When I say big the sedan is around 4500 lbs and the suv is close to 6k. Both are built in Japan and big v8s no turbo and both are AWD. puttting about 4k a year combined on them. Wife uses a wheelchair and it will easily for in sedans trunk so we are happy and set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive