Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 08:10 AM

17,650 posts, read 17,763,295 times

Advertisements

Watching the video of the Hot Wheels collector leaving a Hot Wheels toy on people’s matching vehicle made me wonder if people who are car fans have actually bought or built a model of a vehicle they currently own, use to own, or dream of owning? Out of curiosity I found an official die cast model of my current vehicle but because it is a model for an entire generation the grill and rims aren’t exactly the same as my vehicle. There was a Hot Wheels version but my car isn’t a “Hot Wheels” type vehicle. Mine is more of a Matchbox car. Because it isn’t a popular vehicle there are no model kits for my vehicle. They do have a model kit for a car I use to own, 1978 Camaro, but I have bad memories with that vehicle.

I wonder if Hot Wheels and Matchbox would ever offer a program in which an online buyer could special order their specific make and model vehicle at a higher price instead of searching the racks and shelves for a single or variety pack with their particular vehicle choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 08:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,625,345 times
Not exactly the same - but my toddler boys absolutely love playing with matchbox cars that match cars that we.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:58 PM

20,299 posts, read 37,246,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Not exactly the same - but my toddler boys absolutely love playing with matchbox cars that match cars that we.
Mine too (when they were young). I used to find a lot of the matchbox cars when metal detecting in CA, and Northern NY. I have a small box-full of these little cars

Old 10-24-2022, 01:59 PM

15,811 posts, read 20,578,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if Hot Wheels and Matchbox would ever offer a program in which an online buyer could special order their specific make and model vehicle at a higher price instead of searching the racks and shelves for a single or variety pack with their particular vehicle choice?
I'm a member of some die cast collecting forums on Facebook, and there is a modeler who will custom build you a 100% correct match to a car you own in 1/8 scale for somewhere in the $3-5K range. Obviously he was doing very high end, or collectible cars.

I have a 1:18 model of my car that ive been working on making a match for my fave Hobby car that I own. Unfortunately it's been time consuming chasing down parts or robbing materials from other models to make it work. A lot of custom fabrication as well. Had to change out the engine, the seats, the exhaust and the wheels, along with minor details like the steering wheel and such. SOme parts I 3D printed, and then had to hand paint. Almost done, but it's been 4-5 months of work when I can find some free time.

I collect a lot of 1:18 scale Mustangs.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
I go to a lot of car shows, and many people will have a model on their matching air cleaner or dash. Most are limited to the most popular cars for models, Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle. I had one for my 1972 El Camino, but have yet to find any model or die-cast for my year of Nova, 1974. They are all 1972 or older. The difference in the grill, bumpers, and lack of wing windows would make it hard to customize to match mine.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:34 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,087,657 times
Revell used to make really nice model kits of cars back in the day! Not a wide selection today.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:14 AM

6,500 posts, read 3,185,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm a member of some die cast collecting forums on Facebook, and there is a modeler who will custom build you a 100% correct match to a car you own in 1/8 scale for somewhere in the $3-5K range. Obviously he was doing very high end, or collectible cars.

I owned a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am, for a LONG time. NO, I didn't buy it because of the "Smokey" movie, I bought it because it was one of the few performance cars available, at that point in time. While I was an avid builder of model cars, in my younger days, and would have liked to have had a model of this car, it would have involved a LOT of modification of one of the many plastic kits that were available, as mine was not a T-top car, and all the commercially available kits were.

As to your comment of a custom built, 1/18 scale model of this car, let me add some perspective to the discussion. While I know a lot of work would be involved, in making a model of my former T/A, I think that $5K for a model would be a bit steep, considering that my full sized, fully drivable Firebird cost me $6200, in 1977..........

Old 10-25-2022, 08:36 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,578,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
As to your comment of a custom built, 1/18 scale model of this car, let me add some perspective to the discussion. While I know a lot of work would be involved, in making a model of my former T/A, I think that $5K for a model would be a bit steep, considering that my full sized, fully drivable Firebird cost me $6200, in 1977..........

Not 1:18 scale, these particular models were 1:8 scale, with tons of intricate details.

But i agree with you. Too rich for my blood. I have a 1:18 model of my car that maybe cost me $200. That's more my speed

Old 10-25-2022, 09:46 AM

6,500 posts, read 3,185,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not 1:18 scale, these particular models were 1:8 scale, with tons of intricate details.

But I agree with you. Too rich for my blood. I have a 1:18 model of my car that maybe cost me $200. That's more my speed
Oops, my mistake, I read too quickly and my eyes thought they saw 1/18 scale. Before I retired, I worked with a fellow who was a real enthusiast of the 1/18 scale die cast cars that were quite popular in the mid 1990s-early 2000s, and my association with him, led to me acquiring a number of 1/18 die cast cars. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought them all, as I put several of them in plastic display cases, while most of them are still in the box.

When I was a kid, Monogram Models released a series of kits in 1/8 scale, and I had a few of them. I remember a "T" bucket drag car, a Jaguar XKE, and a twin engined dragster. I must have given them away at some time, because I don't recall having them after the late 60s-early 70s......

Old 10-25-2022, 10:08 AM

20,743 posts, read 4,487,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Maybe, but you could also look for yourself.

https://hotwheels.fandom.com/wiki/Ca...Wheels_by_year

https://matchbox.fandom.com/wiki/Cat...tchbox_by_Year

Then check ebay/etsy for the specific models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive