Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 10:42 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,761,232 times

Advertisements

We've seen CVTs in cars for a long time now - and not only in select models, they are present in a wide range of everyday cars that most people buy for basic commutes and family duty. Is the basic CVT now reliable and can last until 200k miles as long as we follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule?

I'm not talking about the eCVT that Toyota and Honda might advertise for their hybrids - those are different types of transmissions using their electric motors.

When I speak to different people, they don't care about whether their car has a CVT or not as long as they are not "car people." I know a few people with Nissan Rogues with CVTs and they are approaching 170k miles with no issues but basic CVT maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 11:14 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,406,420 times
This is a good question.

I was very skeptical of having a CVT forced upon me in the last vehicle that I purchased (2017 CRV) but from what I've been reading in a few Honda forums, CVT failures in these vehicles seem to be almost unheard of. Same with the ultra-tiny turbo-powered engines, which I was also skeptical about.

The alternative to a CVT these days seems to be an automatic with 10 or more gears in it. Not sure how jamming as many gears as possible into a slushbox can give you much more of a fuzzy feeling than having a CVT, but as far as I know, most of those seem to be reliable too.

I will stay tuned since I am interested to hear other peoples opinions.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:16 AM

12,479 posts, read 9,570,120 times
I don't know about JATCO's CVTs, which are the most notable for reliability issues, but I have no concerns about CVTs in Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus.

Even JATCO, I assume has fixed the earlier issues with their design, but I haven't dug on that because I haven't been looking at vehicles that have JATCO CVTs.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
The CVT in my wife's Outback has the same "feel" as a traditional transmission, with the RPMs going up, then the reducing each time. That makes a big difference since there is nothing to get used to. I drove an earlier one in a renal car several years ago and it felt really odd. They do provide better mpg than a traditional 6-10 speed.

Old 10-28-2022, 12:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
CVTs are everywhere - have we finally accepted their reliability?

Hope not (Daily mtn driver, I tow heavy, very heavy)

CVT is fine for my Snowmobile.
https://www.snowmobile.com/blog/2017...vt-drives.html

Old 10-28-2022, 12:08 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,526,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
We've seen CVTs in cars for a long time now - and not only in select models, they are present in a wide range of everyday cars that most people buy for basic commutes and family duty. Is the basic CVT now reliable and can last until 200k miles as long as we follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule?

I'm not talking about the eCVT that Toyota and Honda might advertise for their hybrids - those are different types of transmissions using their electric motors.

When I speak to different people, they don't care about whether their car has a CVT or not as long as they are not "car people." I know a few people with Nissan Rogues with CVTs and they are approaching 170k miles with no issues but basic CVT maintenance.
Until almost 2 years ago, I had a Subaru Forester with a CVT. Basically, I didn't like it - it just didn't "feel" right. Also, if I recall correctly, Subaru gave all owners an extended warranty because of some sort of issues they'd had. Mine was fine, operated as it was desgined to; I just didn't care for it. I also couldn't tell that it resulted in better gas mileage.

The Forester had a 2.5 liter 4 cyliner boxer engine, and weighed about 3300 lbs. It would average around 27 mpg all around. I traded it for an Audi SQ5, which weighs well over 4000 lbs, has a V6 3-liter turbocharged engine, and gets about 24 mpg overall. I'll take the Audi any day.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:24 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,085,153 times
Drove a Honda HRV with CVT. Felt like it was powered by rubber bands. Did not like it.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Until almost 2 years ago, I had a Subaru Forester with a CVT. Basically, I didn't like it - it just didn't "feel" right. Also, if I recall correctly, Subaru gave all owners an extended warranty because of some sort of issues they'd had. Mine was fine, operated as it was desgined to; I just didn't care for it. I also couldn't tell that it resulted in better gas mileage.
In the year 2009 the Asian companies (&VW) ranking from the best fuel economy to the worst were Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, Nissan, VW, Mazda, Subaru

Starting in 2010 Subaru began to switch to CVT and by 2015 all models (except BRZ) were either manual or CVT.

In the year 2015 the ranking was (from best to worst): Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Hyundai, VW, Kia, Toyota

As of the latest number Subaru sells 94% of vehicles with CVT, Nissan is 89%, Honda is 64%,Toyota 32%, Kia 35%, Hyundai 29% and VW and Mazda is 0%.

The dramatic improvement in relative fuel economy from 2009 to 2015 means that Subaru will never reverse their decision to use CVT. So if you don't like CVT you pretty much have to buy a Mazda or a VW. Toyota added a single "launch gear" to their CVT primarily so that buyers would feel more comfortable when starting from a standstill. It also minimizes the range that is covered by CVT so the CVT portion is more efficient.

Mazda uses SKYACTIV-Drive transmission, which is a six-speed automatic transmission that is also offered in two versions to take on different levels of torque strength. The primary goal of this Mazda-made transmission is to combine the benefits of dual-clutch, continuously variable, and conventional step automatic transmissions to provide drivers with an enhanced shifting experience.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:26 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,670,378 times
My wife hasn't put a lot of miles on her 2014 Subaru Forester but the CVT transmission still works just fine. Many of us just want a car that goes from point A to B without much trouble and doesn't cost a fortune.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
In the year 2009 the Asian companies (&VW) ranking from the best fuel economy to the worst were Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, Nissan, VW, Mazda, Subaru

Starting in 2010 Subaru began to switch to CVT and by 2015 all models (except BRZ) were either manual or CVT.

In the year 2015 the ranking was (from best to worst): Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Hyundai, VW, Kia, Toyota

As of the latest number Subaru sells 94% of vehicles with CVT, Nissan is 89%, Honda is 64%,Toyota 32%, Kia 35%, Hyundai 29% and VW and Mazda is 0%.

The dramatic improvement in relative fuel economy from 2009 to 2015 means that Subaru will never reverse their decision to use CVT. So if you don't like CVT you pretty much have to buy a Mazda or a VW. ...
I and many others will stick with our 50+ mpg on free fuel (home brew)
Anything under 40 mpg is not gonna survive my dozer. *Tho my gas (ick) Forester (with manual) is on borrowed time, since it has a set of fully studded Nokkians for freezing rain days. If it ever dies or needs repair... it's toast, I'll haul it to the crusher.

Snowmobile with CVT works if it gets too deep around here.

When renting (~100 vehicles / yr) I always trade for a vehicle with a REAL transmission (usually a Hyundai Santa Fe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive