Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 09:30 AM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing (in the more rural parts of town) homeowners have RV's parked in their driveways. Hooked up to power (solar) and are renting them out as housing for families. Nothing like a 28' 5th wheel rented for $2200 a month....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 03:01 PM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I Nothing like a 28' 5th wheel rented for $2200 a month....

what?!?!?!?!

Old 12-18-2022, 07:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
what?!?!?!?!
nothing like trying to survive 'housing costs' in San Diego during the winter!

2 Bedrooms for $2200 / month on a rural lot might look cheap to many people.

Local rents for RV spots on rural land in my Hill Country TX location is over $1000 / month (was $400 pre-covid) Bring your own RV!

My WA region just added very strict countywide ordinance on living in RV's.
3 weeks max per event.
10 weeks max per yr per property for RV use.
NO rental / multiple living spaces (including RVs) on a property zoned for single family housing

Our properties are checked at least once / week via drone and satellite imaging. Graphical image recognition lets the zoning dept know if you've added any vehicles or decks / awnings / concrete slabs to your property.

"RV city" will not happen in my PNW region, but they've added thousands of RV sites to the county in my TX location. A nice newer RV location near my home is $75/ night, Some can still be found for $40/night.

A friend in SE AZ has seen many RV sites added there too. (Benson / Tombstone/ Willcox / Safford). I would guess you could find some very inexpensive property to start an RV City there. Buy land that previously had pivot sprinklers and get a few huge wells to come with the property. My friend is a great gardener, and not short on water, yet, has not created an oasis in 10 yrs. (Soils are very poor)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-18-2022 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 03:39 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Local rents for RV spots on rural land in my Hill Country TX location is over $1000 / month (was $400 pre-covid) Bring your own RV!

3 weeks max per event.
NO rental / multiple living spaces (including RVs) on a property zoned for single family housing

Our properties are checked at least once / week via drone and satellite imaging. Graphical image recognition lets the zoning dept know if you've added any vehicles or decks / awnings / concrete slabs to your property.

"RV city" will not happen in my PNW region, but they've added thousands of RV sites to the county in my TX location. A nice newer RV location near my home is $75/ night, Some can still be found for $40/night.

A friend in SE AZ has seen many RV sites added there too. (Benson / Tombstone/ Willcox / Safford). I would guess you could find some very inexpensive property to start an RV City there. Buy land that previously had pivot sprinklers and get a few huge wells to come with the property. My friend is a great gardener, and not short on water, yet, has not created an oasis in 10 yrs. (Soils are very poor)
Pre drones in local government, I got into a conversation with a guy running a convenience store in a gas station on a main street in Bangor, Maine (I was in Maine for one of several pleasure trips there between 2006 and 2013).

He had been in that same location for 50+ years. Until a few years before our conversation, he owned the whole station but had sold it and was now subletting the store part from the new owner, with a mechanic separately subletting the bays from the new owner. I didn't ask re who got the pump revenue, but customers did pay him.

He'd seen the changes in the world from one specific spot for five decades, and it was interesting to hear him relate that.

The reason I'm bringing him up is that he told me that a local official would go out in a helicopter looking for and finding attempts at under the radar/'unpermitted' construction and increasing assessments accordingly.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:25 PM

297 posts, read 246,766 times
Default talk about gouging...

Quote:

3 weeks max per event.

When US society collapses, which might not be to long from now, I wonder how many will be using guns to obtain or keep their place of residency, instead of living in a tent.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
When US society collapses, which might not be to long from now, I wonder how many will be using guns to obtain or keep their place of residency, instead of living in a tent.
Our county (and many others) have military SWAT vehicles. They will get their property (Which you may falsely believe was ever yours.)

You'll be lucky to get out with your WTSHTF survival vehicle and gear.
Be sure to leave before they show up, if you plan on leaving alive.

One of our neighbors is a retired County Land Use attorney. He provides daily drone feed, so I expect he'll keep his property until a better one is available (mine). The tax assessor already told me his parents will be getting my home. Via tax sale or some other means. I believe him. They have ways of winning.

RV city (on BLM land) may be our 'Last-Stand', but they will starve us or cut off all water. Just as they have been known to do to get other lands.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:28 AM

Just talked to step dad who is in needles at present and has been nomadic since mom died 12 ago. Summer - above 6500ft somewhere in the wallapai's, winter generally along the colorado near or in needles (and he and mom had a place there 25 ago)

current rates: parks in wallapai going from 480/mo to 680 this summer but he locked in the 2022 rate for one more year

needles - 400+electric winter but now runs 2400-3000/month summer and they are full. granted they are a campground/marina but still

holy buckets.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:43 AM

5,768 posts, read 11,390,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Just talked to step dad who is in needles at present and has been nomadic since mom died 12 ago. Summer - above 6500ft somewhere in the wallapai's, winter generally along the colorado near or in needles (and he and mom had a place there 25 ago)

current rates: parks in wallapai going from 480/mo to 680 this summer but he locked in the 2022 rate for one more year

needles - 400+electric winter but now runs 2400-3000/month summer and they are full. granted they are a campground/marina but still
holy buckets.
I am guessing you mean Hualapai Mountain Park south of Kingman, AZ? They have two Mohave County park campgrounds, both in a very nice spot and not so far from shopping in Kingman. It would make a good summer oasis without driving far from the winter spot in Needles. So close, that you can see Needles from the Hualapai Mountains, and you can see the Hualapai Mtns from Needles - but they are a world apart in temperature range.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am guessing you mean Hualapai Mountain Park south of Kingman, AZ? They have two Mohave County park campgrounds, both in a very nice spot and not so far from shopping in Kingman. It would make a good summer oasis without driving far from the winter spot in Needles. So close, that you can see Needles from the Hualapai Mountains, and you can see the Hualapai Mtns from Needles - but they are a world apart in temperature range.

yes, I only heard it spoken so I guess I went phonetic. He used to do >6500 in NM as he and mom eventually moved to a spot outside ramah next to the res and she was teaching there but he is no longer into long distance driving other than the 2 months each summer to his VA hospital in mid cali near monterrey. (ex long distance trucker for 40)

So you likely know the ground he treads...he has a class A and tows a small car just he and the dog. Its not a bad life if you think about it.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:03 AM

297 posts, read 246,766 times
Default yes, a likely scenario..

Quote:
Our county (and many others) have military SWAT vehicles. They will get their property (Which you may falsely believe was ever yours.)

You'll be lucky to get out with your WTSHTF survival vehicle and gear.
Be sure to leave before they show up, if you plan on leaving alive.

One of our neighbors is a retired County Land Use attorney. He provides daily drone feed, so I expect he'll keep his property until a better one is available (mine). The tax assessor already told me his parents will be getting my home. Via tax sale or some other means. I believe him. They have ways of winning.

RV city (on BLM land) may be our 'Last-Stand', but they will starve us or cut off all water. Just as they have been known to do to get other lands.
Only those very remote or good at hiding/moving and prepared will survive.
Some people have been preparing for years and have a lot of weaponry/sophistication.
But generally I agree with your outlook. If they don't kill us with the jab, it will be starvation or hostile action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive