Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 06:39 PM

13,301 posts, read 7,339,094 times

Advertisements

Racers, and DIY guys are converting classic cars to Electric. The news link below says they spend $60k on the conversion maybe if one could get low cost batteries might be feasible for someone with moderate income. Like most EV still costly but cost will be coming down in the future I'm sure.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...s/10931385002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 07:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,593,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The news link below says they spend $60k on the conversion maybe if one could get low cost batteries might be feasible for someone with moderate income.
Here is an article written in 2022

Quote:
“Our shop has a five-year wait list,” said EV West owner Michael Bream, who began his company 13 years ago, inspired in part by — you guessed it — an earlier leap in fuel prices.

“If you called us and you’re like, ‘Hey, Michael. I absolutely want to convert this car.’ We can’t get you in, so we’re going to have to send you to one of our sister shops” that EV West works with on a collaborative basis, Bream said.

“I care for the environment. But I’m a hotrodder, and I’m the son of a hotrodder. We’re not environmentalists. We’re here to save the cars.”

— Michael Bream, EV West owner

On a recent afternoon, Hawk’s car was up on a car lift at EV West’s San Marcos headquarters outside San Diego. That’s also where Wagner’s ’62 Beetle conversion took place at a cost of $32,000.

Bream said a typical conversion starts at around $18,000. Some of the more expensive builds, for high performance, can run well past $30,000

They’ll turn your gas guzzler into an EV. But be prepared to wait - BY RONALD D. WHITESTAFF WRITER LA Times APRIL 25, 2022
LG CHEM Lithium Ion Battery - 60.8V, 2.6kWh
Model : LG CHEM
Weight : 38.00
Price: $799.00

You would need ~ 10 of these just to get a 50-60 mile range, so that would be ~$8000 and 380 lbs right there.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-25-2022 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 08:44 PM

17,631 posts, read 17,717,231 times
Be interesting to see a full VW Beatle conversion with regenerative braking, disc brakes, and upgraded suspension.a Chevrolet Corvair could also be a good EV conversion.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:56 PM

44,643 posts, read 61,669,787 times
Why devalue a real classic car by converting it to an EV? The gas engine alone in a classic is 1/2 the value of the vehicle.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:08 PM

13,301 posts, read 7,339,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Why devalue a real classic car by converting it to an EV? The gas engine alone in a classic is 1/2 the value of the vehicle.
Some have deep pockets it's not an issue lots of classic cars that are not worth all that much. Frame up restores generally cost more then the value of just buying one already done.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Be interesting to see a full VW Beatle conversion with regenerative braking, disc brakes, and upgraded suspension.a Chevrolet Corvair could also be a good EV conversion.
We converted a few Beetles in 1970's, but also Simca, Cortina, Triumph and Datsuns and Datsun and Toyota pickups. I recently saw one of the Beetles we converted 47 yrs ago

My favorite was an MGB-GT Fastback (rear hatch) It was a very pretty conversion and quite functional.

I can't see the value or fun in converting a huge old muscle car. Fortunately, this article was not a highly desirable muscle car. AC Cobra Kit would probably be an appropriate donor. (For someone living and driving in So CA or FL). But a daily driver is the most effective and efficient use of your time and money and biggest contribution to EV science / advancement.

Saab Sonnet would be another, but they got 50+ mpg as they were delivered, so leaving them stock and running on alternative fuel is the most lasting benefit to the environment.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,240,348 times
I've been debating doing an EV conversion to a 1960s MG or Austin Healey roadster. The electronic and gas motors can be finicky (many blame unleaded gasoline), so a conversion would probably make the car more reliable but I fear the smooth and quiet powertrain would ruin the spirit of a car in that vintage. Basic EVs are quite simple: battery, motor, inverter, charger, and controller is all you need whether it's a car or boat. What makes it complicated are the software and computer lockouts manufacturers put in to run all the sensors, thermal management system, etc.

As far as lightweight battery capacity, Tesla has the advantage right now. The old battery modules from the Model S/X can be had for about $600-$1K a piece, weighs less than 60lbs, with approximately 5.3kWh of capacity and have built-in battery management systems and coolant lines integrated with each module.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:53 PM

17,317 posts, read 12,274,817 times
I know someone with a Nash Rambler converted into an EV. Pretty cool. Only has around a 100 mile range which kept the battery cost down. Just drives it around town and to car shows.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I know someone with a Nash Rambler converted into an EV. Pretty cool. Only has around a 100 mile range which kept the battery cost down. Just drives it around town and to car shows.

For a retro car in EV...since everything would be custom... build up or use a modern chassis and add E drivetrain and retro body of your choice. Prepare for wind and road noise (in excess of a modern EV).
Some states require an effort to title and register a 'kit-car'. so... If your state is a burden, register your 'kit-car' in another state. (and do insurance / garage requirements as required). Remember to have 'special insurance' based on replacement costs, not on std vehicle value.

It's a good idea to use a unique body style that may not have a dependable or repairable drivetrain.
such as this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout_Scarab

It was really WAY before it's time (1936)

Some real beauties in this exhibit (See it if you can) Really quite unique and viable designs for an EV
https://fristartmuseum.org/exhibitio...o-automobiles/

Old 12-26-2022, 06:52 PM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
If there was a battery that would weight under 1,000 pound while still reaching a 500 600-mile range, then it would be an improvement as long as you can reduce the vehicle's weight (without the battery) by 1,000 pounds. At the present time there isn't a technology for building a battery for long range driving that is lightweight. Therefore the body must be made lightweight to offset the battery's weight. You can see this when comparing a 2022 F1 race car to a FE race car. A F1 race car weights a tad over 1,700 pounds (the driver is included). An FE race car weights around 1,800 pounds (FE 3rd generation). But try to retrofit an old car to electric while keeping its weight under 2,000 pounds.

What would be interesting would be a lightweight EV powered by a micro-nuclear reactor and a capacitive battery. This car would be the future flying car, I imagine

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-26-2022 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive