Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 05:44 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/iSlZMikqvXQ

Two Hyundai vehicles, Tucson and Ioniq5 from Melbourne to Sidney. Tucson stops for gas once and a few leg stretch/bathroom breaks. Ioniq5 stops to charge 4 times. Instead of trying to charge to 100% they charge to close to around 80% then back on the road. There was less than an hour difference in time lost on the Ioniq5 vs the Tucson. Total drive time was a little more than 9 hours for the Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 06:05 AM

6,467 posts, read 3,163,833 times
You need to put that into perspective....the video says they ran a 900 KM trip. For us "Yankees", that's 560 miles. Averaging 60 MPH, that's just over 9 hours of driving. To me, adding an hour of time, to a 9 hour trip, is rather significant.

(oh, wait a minute, you can get a meal, and use the rest room, each time you HAVE to stop.....silly me!)

Old 01-09-2023, 06:28 AM

10,889 posts, read 4,560,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Two Hyundai vehicles, Tucson and Ioniq5 from Melbourne to Sidney. Tucson stops for gas once and a few leg stretch/bathroom breaks. Ioniq5 stops to charge 4 times. Instead of trying to charge to 100% they charge to close to around 80% then back on the road. There was less than an hour difference in time lost on the Ioniq5 vs the Tucson. Total drive time was a little more than 9 hours for the Tucson.

It does not sound like it was much of a race....I want something ford v ferrarri

Old 01-09-2023, 06:39 AM

12,501 posts, read 9,584,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

That's a pretty typical strategy for EV drivers on extended trips. The charging rate isn't constant, and it falls off as you get above 80%, so you're better off using the speedy part of the curve and charging more frequently than charging all the way to 100%. Among moderate priced EVs, the Ioniq 5 is one of the quickest charging. It can charge at up to 350kW, though the actual speed depends on what kind of charger you're hooked up to, plus this throttling back that happens at higher charge states.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:04 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
You need to put that into perspective....the video says they ran a 900 KM trip. For us "Yankees", that's 560 miles. Averaging 60 MPH, that's just over 9 hours of driving. To me, adding an hour of time, to a 9 hour trip, is rather significant.

(oh, wait a minute, you can get a meal, and use the rest room, each time you HAVE to stop.....silly me!)
Advantage of the Ioniq 5. It's 20k more than a Bolt and charges to 80 percent in 18 minutes versus 75 minutes for the Bolt. Course the Tuscon is also 20k less than the Ioniq 5 and full tank in 5 minutes. 350 chargers around here are still very rare.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:19 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,329,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Advantage of the Ioniq 5. It's 20k more than a Bolt and charges to 80 percent in 18 minutes versus 75 minutes for the Bolt. Course the Tuscon is also 20k less than the Ioniq 5 and full tank in 5 minutes. 350 chargers around here are still very rare.
My Bolt is not 75 minutes to 80%. Never in any of the times I've taken road trips has it taken that long. Half hour, yes.

And on a 560 mile road trip, why was the Ioniq charging 4 times? It has a 300 or so mile range, so it should have stopped once for 20 minutes to get to the destination.

As I've posted elswhere I take 700-900 mile road trips every coupe months and it's only about a half hour longer each way than it was in my MINI. I start with a full tank, go 3 1/2 hours, stop for a half hour and finish the trip to CT. Then I charge at my son's house so I leave with a full charge and stop half way back for another half hour. It's simply not onerous to do so.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:30 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My Bolt is not 75 minutes to 80%. Never in any of the times I've taken road trips has it taken that long. Half hour, yes.

And on a 560 mile road trip, why was the Ioniq charging 4 times? It has a 300 or so mile range, so it should have stopped once for 20 minutes to get to the destination.

As I've posted elswhere I take 700-900 mile road trips every coupe months and it's only about a half hour longer each way than it was in my MINI. I start with a full tank, go 3 1/2 hours, stop for a half hour and finish the trip to CT. Then I charge at my son's house so I leave with a full charge and stop half way back for another half hour. It's simply not onerous to do so.

Perhaps road conditions and climate played a part. In the video they did hit some hilly areas. If the video was recently recorded then it’s summer in Australia which can get pretty hot. Another possible factor could be distance between charging stations.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:55 AM

6,816 posts, read 9,368,031 times
Nice comparison, although I’d be interested to replicate this in the US, in winter, and maybe not between two major cities but instead, between, say, a sizable metro area to a vacation location, like a National Park or Ski Resort, and then see if there’s a difference.

I know people get touchy about any EV criticism on this forum, so this isn’t me trying to be anti-EV. Just curious to see how other scenarios would play out since it sounds like they picked a fairly optimal route to do this test.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:31 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,329,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Nice comparison, although I’d be interested to replicate this in the US, in winter, and maybe not between two major cities but instead, between, say, a sizable metro area to a vacation location, like a National Park or Ski Resort, and then see if there’s a difference.

I know people get touchy about any EV criticism on this forum, so this isn’t me trying to be anti-EV. Just curious to see how other scenarios would play out since it sounds like they picked a fairly optimal route to do this test.

No those are good questions, as the trips are often different in the winter than in spring through fall. It's winter now and my wife is about to take the Bolt on a 950+ mile round trip down to Greenville, TN to visit her brother, from here in Baltimore. It shows on PlugShare to take 2 stops, but one of them is 186 miles a way down I-81, which is cutting it a bit close with a winter range of 200 miles (the EUV is not quite as efficient as the EV, which is smaller and lighter and generally saw 220 miles in this sub-freezing weather). So I added a stop about 125 miles away which means a shorter stop, then back on track at the next stop which is 65 miles from there and then 10 minutes at that stop to get back to 80%, then 153 miles to the next short stop, and then on to Greenville. In the summer it would be 2 stops for a half hour each. it's already an 8+ hour drive, so making it a 9 hour drive with a couple rest stops isn't bad. She tends to use those stops to do work emails.

A trip from a major metro area starts with a "full tank" so you can figure the fist stop will be 200 miles away in a typical EV in the winter. Not usually too hard to find and plan for. And a lot of the national parks and resorts now have slower level 2 chargers, that can charge up over the longer period of time you're spending at them doing other things.

Again, look on here: https://www.plugshare.com/ and see where your starting position is and where the chargers are on your route, both DC Fast and Level 2 chargers.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:28 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
You'd need to ask them. I wasn't on the road trip to know. At a guess I would say they didn't stop 4 times. They merely didn't have any of the unicorn 350 kw chargers available... which isn't a huge problem. It only takes around 22 minutes on a 150 kw. In most cases you'd just be better of using a 150 charger than driving even a little bit out of your way to use a 350. Driving 5 minutes out of your way (10 total) to save 4 minutes charging time makes no sense. But then there aren't a lot of those either.

If you're stuck on a 50 kw the Ioniq 5 likewise takes over an hour to charge to 80% same as the Bolt. 350 kw capability does you no good if you all you've got available is 50 kw DC slow chargers which are much more common than 150/225/350 chargers. LIkewise "up to 150" does you little good if it's just a peak number. Take the MachE. It can only charge at 140 for a few minutes before it overheats and drops down to around 75 kw, hence why it takes around 45 minutes to charge to 80% even on a 150 charger which will charge the Ioniq 5 to 80% in 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive