Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 02:57 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
No, and I wouldn't:

I don't want an electric anything

I can't even get a feel of size from the webpage. At first glance it seems like a mini SUV, tall, high off the ground but small. Minimal truck space? I don't see any pictures of the trunk or people sitting in the car. They are showcasing the distracting dash. I transport bikes on top of my car and prefer not to have to carry a step stool to reach the roof.

I did find interior pix by googling but if I'm going to get something like that I would just stick with Ford. That is not the type of vehicle that appeals to me. I want an actual car, not a crossover or SUV.

Guaranteed in 10-15 years I'll be in a used Crosstrek as the lessor of evils (which I realize is a crossover but at least it's low slung). Or I'll have to jump ship to VW. Or a tiny Outback depending on how long they were produced.
There are two Bolts so it's a bit confusingly named. There's the Bolt EV which is a hatchback car and the Bolt EUV which is a crossover. That might be the confusion there. I personally like the Bolt EV more.

What I really like is the Cupra Born (Cupra is part of the Volkswagen Automotive Group), but neither that nor its VW iD.3 sibling are making their way here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2DPD6kMgOM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 03:36 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are two Bolts so it's a bit confusingly named. There's the Bolt EV which is a hatchback car and the Bolt EUV which is a crossover. That might be the confusion there. I personally like the Bolt EV more.

Oh, I have no idea which I saw on Chevy's site then. But either way if I was going to stick myself in an EV (which I'm not), I'd just go back to Ford. The Bolt kind of looks Ecosport sized, which is neither compact nor subcompact. But since Ford, and now I know Chevy, don't make small cars of the size and type (gas engine) I desire, I know there are two makes I won't buy from.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:21 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
I think the Bolt EUV is a bit of a scam. The EPA classifies them both the same as "Small Station Wagons" and the Bolt EUV has 3 cubic feet more passenger space than the Bolt EV and 1 less cubic feet luggage space.

Although the stripped down base price of the two vehicles is almost identical, it seems to me that dealers feel freer to load up the EUV with expensive options. After all you have purchased a utility vehicle and not a subcompact car!
  • 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EV/MSRP From $26,500
  • 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV/MSRP From $27,800

Old 01-17-2023, 05:49 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
This thread is making me nervous. I am VERY tempted to go buy that 2022 Chevy Spark. "The last of the subcompact cars in the USA."

Old 01-17-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, I have no idea which I saw on Chevy's site then. But either way if I was going to stick myself in an EV (which I'm not), I'd just go back to Ford. The Bolt kind of looks Ecosport sized, which is neither compact nor subcompact. But since Ford, and now I know Chevy, don't make small cars of the size and type (gas engine) I desire, I know there are two makes I won't buy from.
Ford doesn't offer a subcompact car in the US--they only offer a subcompact SUV/crossover. Which is sort of the problem for subcompact cars. People can say they want them, but if no one actually buys them, then there aren't going to be many, or perhaps any, new ones on the market.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Anyone remember the Pinto? It's probably for the best that Ford doesn't make a compact car.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:06 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This thread is making me nervous. I am VERY tempted to go buy that 2022 Chevy Spark. "The last of the subcompact cars in the USA."
You should definitely get one then!

Quote:
Ford doesn't offer a subcompact car in the US--they only offer a subcompact SUV/crossover. Which is sort of the problem for subcompact cars. People can say they want them, but if no one actually buys them, then there aren't going to be many, or perhaps any, new ones on the market.
Therein lies the problem. Some of us want smaller than SUV/crossover cars but then there are only like 3 to pick from and if you don't like any of the choices...... Rock hard place.

Quote:
Anyone remember the Pinto? It's probably for the best that Ford doesn't make a compact car.
Ford made millions of compact cars after that.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
You should definitely get one then!

Therein lies the problem. Some of us want smaller than SUV/crossover cars but then there are only like 3 to pick from and if you don't like any of the choices...... Rock hard place.

Ford made millions of compact cars after that.

People weren't buying many of them when there were over a half dozen available. With the few left, people still aren't buying them. Lots of talk about how much people want an economical subcompact but little of that's converted to actual sales.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:49 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
It’s actually a nicer car than I imagined. Used to run some deliveries in one. Cheap and cheerful is how it comes across. It’s a far better car than the Trax which kinda sorta nominally replaces it.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:04 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Why do you want something LESS reliable than an EV? Yore not going to be working on a new car ANYHOW, and the drive train portion of the EV has a much longer warranty than a gas car drive train. The much lower operating cost of an EV is also a factor. As a lifelong Republican (who remembers when the GOP invented the EPA in the '70s to combat air and water pollution), the zero tailpipe emissions is a side benefit to the quiet, quick, and low cost ownership factors. TCO is way down. And as someone who got heavy third degree burns from being in a gas car that essentially exploded, the fire risk is SO much less in an EV (like 100 times less likely)

The Bolt is EXACTLY the kind of car you're looking for other than not being powered by exploding dinosaurs. You (and anyone else that has an irrational hatred/fear of them) really need to drive one (especially back to back after a buzzy, slow, compact gas car) to understand what throttle response is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive