Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 03:44 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times

Advertisements

With electric cars battery lasting 7-10 years or so and the replacement of batteries being very pricey, I’m curious how these cars will do in a used market when they come close to battery replacement.
Will the cars be junked?

I don’t see original owner holding the car that long. Second owner selling the car right about when the battery will need replacement?

Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 03:51 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
I think you're wrong.

The batteries last for much longer than 7-10 years. Warranties are 8-10 years and the life is close to 200K miles. That doesn't mean they are dead at 200K, that means they are no longer optimum for use in an EV. Degradation is about 2% a year so even at 20 years, the batteries are down to 60% capacity.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:22 PM

But buying one with 100 k miles is just not recommended I take it? Its not like a normal car.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
But buying one with 100 k miles is just not recommended I take it? Its not like a normal car.
I am assuming that just like IC automobiles where the condition of the entire vehicle, including the engine and the mileage, are taken into consideration, so will EV's.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I am assuming that just like IC automobiles where the condition of the entire vehicle, including the engine and the mileage, are taken into consideration, so will EV's.
The most important thing being battery life left and motor condition.
Im assuming battery life can be scanned, what about the electric motor.

Im just wondering that these cars will not be trading hands like convectional cars past 70k miles.
Which means people will be forced to keep on leasing or buying newer cars.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:52 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I understand that batteries can also be reconditioned without needing to be replaced in order to replenish some of their capacity and at a far lower cost than battery replacement. Grid charging, I believe it’s called, or cell rebalancing. If it’s not already, it should probably become standard procedure when doing a make-ready for an EV to hit the used sales lot.

I would also guess that battery recycling is fairly robust due to some of the minerals used in their chemistry, But I don’t quite know how that will play into replacement costs if a suitable core is available for exchange on a new one, especially as EVs capture an increasing chunk of market share.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:50 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Just look at the used Prius market, many many over 100k still get sold and driven for many years. I dont think all of the electric cars are worthless after 100k miles

Old 02-12-2023, 08:53 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Just look at the used Prius market, many many over 100k still get sold and driven for many years. I dont think all of the electric cars are worthless after 100k miles
The Prius is a hybrid and also the battery can be changed nowadays for pretty cheap. The 12 volt battery on one of our Nissans is $300+ at the dealer, and the Prius Hybrid battery could be swapped for around $800 if you go to the right place.

Now, on a pure EV, like Tesla, the battery is much more expensive. The guy who set his Tesla on fire had gotten a quote for $24K and there is no aftermarket choice. So, yes, until the aftermarket for these cars pick up, the used prices are going to be much lower than regular ICE or Hybrid cars.

Now, having said that, a friend has a 1st gen Tesla model S with over 200K Miles on it and the original battery charge is just 15% less than when it was new. Now, would you risk buying a used one or no is a different story.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:26 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,298,831 times
An electric car is a novel electronic gadget for rich buyers.

In 10 years, you'll read Internet reviews that the recently released Gen 10 motors and batteries will have 100% better performance that the 10-year-old Gen 1 motors. Why would you buy an old used car then?

I checked unlocked iPhone 5 prices. They cost $849 10 years ago, now they cost $20-40.

Car parts are usually made to survive until the warranty period ends. So, you'll most likely have to buy a new battery when the warranty will be over, but it'll a Gen 8 battery.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:27 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
An electric car is a novel electronic gadget for rich buyers.
I'm not rich and I'm on my third EV (the first two were leased, the new one is purchased). Mine cost $25k. How is that a rich person's car?

Jesus you people keep spouting the same BS in every thread and never listen to actual owners.

Quote:
In 10 years, you'll read Internet reviews that the recently released Gen 10 motors and batteries will have 100% better performance that the 10-year-old Gen 1 motors. Why would you buy an old used car then?
People buy new computers now even though a faster, better, cheaper version will definitely be available next year. EVERY TIME! Does the promise of a better version stop the sales of current versions? Same with gas powered cars, there have been better performance and better featured new cars available every year. Does that stop the sales of ones NOW? No. Does the fact that new cars perform better stop the sales of old used ones? No.

Just a dumb argument.

Quote:
Car parts are usually made to survive until the warranty period ends. So, you'll most likely have to buy a new battery when the warranty will be over, but it'll a Gen 8 battery.
Batteries may be warranted for 8 years/100k miles, but they are not going to be used up by then. Just like your gas car wasn't used up by the end of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, was it?

Here's the basic math (that seems to be holding true): modern thermally controlled (liquid cooled/heated) are rated for ~2000 charge cycles. On a car with a 250 mile nominal range, that's ~500,000 miles before the degradation is noticeable. 500,000 miles. The car will generally rot out around it before the battery can't be used in a car. Electric motors don't have really any failure points, either and should last the life of the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive