Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 12:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times

Advertisements

Just a little rant about buying a car out of town. In 2011 I got a great deal on a Mitsubishi. I mean really, really good. So good I thought it was worth buying it even though the nearest Mitsu dealer was 65 miles from my home. Well, it was pretty reliable for the ten years I had it. Had it in for a warranty repair just once (AC compressor) and a couple of recall items (defroster fan, serpentine belt). Still, it was a pain have to drive it down to that city and then sit around the dealership all day for the AC fix. For the recalls they had to do more disassembly and I ended up having to rent a car, drive home and then drive back the next day. The car was out of warranty by then so Mitsubishi wasn't going to give me a loaner.

I bought a 2021 Subaru after that from a dealer in a city 25 miles from my home. Its had several warranty issues since then and luckily Subaru would give me a loaner, although they're is such demand I had to book the appointment a month in advance to get one. Still, its an hour round trip to the dealer.

Basically, I've learned a hard lesson. The town I live in has just Chevrolet, Toyota and Ford dealerships. In the future I will only buy from those three. Its just not worth it to get a car from a dealer even 30 minutes drive from my home. Such a pain when if I'd bought in town they could just give me a ride home in a few minutes while I wait for a repair. May have to compromise on the model I get a little, but it'll be much less hassle in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 12:13 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
A recall is pretty much the only time I take a car to a dealer rather than an independent mechanic or DIY. So not really a concern.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:36 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I buy new and always use the dealer while under warranty. After that for only dealer specific things but not for routine maintenance.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:20 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Heh, it could always be worse OP. I lived in a remote town in AK with no road access to anywhere else. If your car needed anything more complicated than a routine "tune up" some local boat mechanic could manage, you loaded it on a marine landing craft/barge and shipped it over 80 miles away. At the time, that little convenience added around $600 to your repair bill. They're spoiled now...they have irregular ferry service, but some even whine about that. The fare is a whopping $118 !

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-18-2023 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-18-2023, 11:14 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
A recall is pretty much the only time I take a car to a dealer rather than an independent mechanic or DIY. So not really a concern.

I've never owned a new car that didn't need a warranty repair or adjustment from a dealer. Yeah, if its out of both warranties is a non-issue.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:34 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
In the age of Internet advertising, big car lots have all the edge over smaller auto sellers.

Sometimes a decent deal can be had from an independent lot. These are usually "exotic" autos that the lot doesn't want to sink too much money into to move it off the lot.

Caveat emptor, but don't feel pressured into buying more auto than you can realistically afford.

Especially young people on a tight budget don't factor in all the extra expenses of maintaining a brand new vehicle.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:13 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
For the recalls they had to do more disassembly and I ended up having to rent a car, drive home and then drive back the next day. The car was out of warranty by then so Mitsubishi wasn't going to give me a loaner.
I would absolutely expect a loaner/rental for a recall fix if it was a several hour job. I don't care how far out of warranty it was.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:09 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I agree that proximity of a dealership to your home is a consideration. For me though, 30 miles is good enough. Just depending on what it is, I might need to wait some time there, but it's rare that it's more than 3 hours. Working in research IT, I can work from the dealer lounge just as well as I can from home or the office - they'll have desks, coffee and WiFi at a minimum.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:15 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
I've never owned a new car that didn't need a warranty repair or adjustment from a dealer. Yeah, if its out of both warranties is a non-issue.
I've owned a few that got bought and never returned to a dealer again.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:35 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Just a little rant about buying a car out of town. In 2011 I got a great deal on a Mitsubishi. I mean really, really good. So good I thought it was worth buying it even though the nearest Mitsu dealer was 65 miles from my home. Well, it was pretty reliable for the ten years I had it. Had it in for a warranty repair just once (AC compressor) and a couple of recall items (defroster fan, serpentine belt). Still, it was a pain have to drive it down to that city and then sit around the dealership all day for the AC fix. For the recalls they had to do more disassembly and I ended up having to rent a car, drive home and then drive back the next day. The car was out of warranty by then so Mitsubishi wasn't going to give me a loaner.

I bought a 2021 Subaru after that from a dealer in a city 25 miles from my home. Its had several warranty issues since then and luckily Subaru would give me a loaner, although they're is such demand I had to book the appointment a month in advance to get one. Still, its an hour round trip to the dealer.

Basically, I've learned a hard lesson. The town I live in has just Chevrolet, Toyota and Ford dealerships. In the future I will only buy from those three. Its just not worth it to get a car from a dealer even 30 minutes drive from my home. Such a pain when if I'd bought in town they could just give me a ride home in a few minutes while I wait for a repair. May have to compromise on the model I get a little, but it'll be much less hassle in the long run.
Well, you have choices! (GM/F/Toy.)

Toyota is utilitarian but boring as heck.

Ford only has the Mustang (for crowd plowing, I guess.)

GM has Corvette (Order your Z06 now, and you'll get your car in 3 years (maybe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive