Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 10:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times

Advertisements

After 10 years or so being out, I had my first ride in a Tesla 3 and an Uber ride at that. Not sure how you can afford it but that's a different question. Much has been said that EVs are dead quiet because they don't have an engine. Fewer moving parts, less noise. Makes sense, until you realize that most of the noise is not coming from the drivetrain. It's road noise, and this Tesla had gobs of it. I realized that the moment I shut the door and the car moved. There was so little road isolation. Decided to put a number on it so I tapped my dB meter on my iPhone and read 73 dBA at 70 mph. That is loud. Later on when I had a chance, tried it in a rental Edge. The noise level dropped to 65 dBA at the same speed. AN now abut the state of the charge. We started at 75% and by the time he dropped me off at the airport 30 miles later, it went down to 62%. And this is half of a one trip. Basically, even 4 or 5 rides you need to get to a charger. Not sure how he makes a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 10:42 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Tire noise makes up the majority of "car" noise. (TF NHRA excluded.)

Even worse, in the rain.

For motorcycles, it's the chain whizzing around the rear sprocket...

Old 03-25-2023, 01:43 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
After 10 years or so being out, I had my first ride in a Tesla 3 and an Uber ride at that. Not sure how you can afford it but that's a different question. Much has been said that EVs are dead quiet because they don't have an engine. Fewer moving parts, less noise. Makes sense, until you realize that most of the noise is not coming from the drivetrain. It's road noise, and this Tesla had gobs of it. I realized that the moment I shut the door and the car moved. There was so little road isolation. Decided to put a number on it so I tapped my dB meter on my iPhone and read 73 dBA at 70 mph. That is loud. Later on when I had a chance, tried it in a rental Edge. The noise level dropped to 65 dBA at the same speed. AN now abut the state of the charge. We started at 75% and by the time he dropped me off at the airport 30 miles later, it went down to 62%. And this is half of a one trip. Basically, even 4 or 5 rides you need to get to a charger. Not sure how he makes a living.
I have a Tesla Model Y and it's IMO the best commuter car you can own because it's super-fast, super-efficient, has the best tech of any car, handles amazing, I can charge it in 10 seconds in my garage (5 seconds to hook up the charger and 5 seconds to unplug it), never needs maintenance, has amazing space, and I'm not spewing poisonous gasses in my garage and neighborhood every time I drive it.

There are a few negatives such as it's not as quiet as my BMW X5 or have as plush of a ride but overall, it's a freaking amazing car. I'll never not have at least 1 EV in my garage (and most likely it will be a Tesla).

Old 03-25-2023, 03:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
The reduced noise of an EV is mostly noticeable during acceleration. At highway speeds there's not much difference, unless it's brand new super smooth asphalt.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:13 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
75% to 62% if you actually traveled only 30 miles, he must have been driving VERY fast or it was VERY cold. That’s less than 2 miles per percentage point. Not normal at all. Or there’s something wrong with that car’s battery.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-25-2023, 06:25 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Really wanted to pull the trigger this month with the $7500 tax credit likely expiring. DW says “no.” Add the $2k from state rebate and it’s the best deal out there, other than the Bolt (which cannot be had without a huge dealer markup). One issue is the nearest Tesla center is over a two-hour drive and we haven’t been able to test drive it.

I think we will regret not getting it.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:43 AM

12,398 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Really wanted to pull the trigger this month with the $7500 tax credit likely expiring. DW says “no.” Add the $2k from state rebate and it’s the best deal out there, other than the Bolt (which cannot be had without a huge dealer markup). One issue is the nearest Tesla center is over a two-hour drive and we haven’t been able to test drive it.

I think we will regret not getting it.
These days, there are car rental agencies with Tesla rentals - Hertz has placed big orders for Model 3s and Model Ys, you could rent one for a weekend from them, and actually get a better idea of what it'll be like than just a short test drive. Actually, it looks like Turo has a location right in Albany.

https://www.hertz.com/blog/electric-...ental%20fleet.

https://turo.com/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-25-2023 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-25-2023, 06:45 AM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Only bad thing about my EV was no V8 sound. Loved the EV for super cheap driving but a C6 Vette called me back jack.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:07 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

You have a few things mixed up. If he put cheap tires on it, that could very easily be your source of road noise. In slower traffic the car recharges using the regenerative braking.

I rented one from Hertz a couple weeks ago for $51 a day. I was glued to the battery life for the first day but relaxed after that. I was in Coronado, CA, 87 octane was $5.90 a gallon. The hotel charged the Tesla for free so it worked out nicely for me.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:09 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Only bad thing about my EV was no V8 sound. Loved the EV for super cheap driving but a C6 Vette called me back jack.
Borla now makes exhaust sounds for EV's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2Q0uHWBFM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive