Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 02:30 PM

147 posts, read 142,922 times

Advertisements

I know that lots of people, particularly in the salt belt, do regular car washes to prevent rust/corrosion on their vehicles.

Is there any statistical data to substantiate that car washes do increase the longevity of the vehicle body and prevent rust? If so, does the data support the cost of commercial car washes outweigh the monetary cost of replacing the vehicle earlier than expected due to rust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 08:37 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
I know that lots of people, particularly in the salt belt, do regular car washes to prevent rust/corrosion on their vehicles.

Is there any statistical data to substantiate that car washes do increase the longevity of the vehicle body and prevent rust? If so, does the data support the cost of commercial car washes outweigh the monetary cost of replacing the vehicle earlier than expected due to rust?
Excellent question. I’d like to know this too.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:04 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
There is ample data that suggests frequent commercial car washes are damaging to your car's exterior finish, at least the type that utilizes spinning brushes or soft clothes. They are not cleaned from one vehicle to another therefore dirt is transferred via the brushes/clothes. That dirt, in addition to the dirt that has already accumulated since the last wash, serves as an abrasive, stripping away at your vehicle's clear coat.

I don't live in the rust belt but I do love cars and it seems to be that the best way to protect your vehicle is to have an annual protective undercoating applied. I have also seen a water broom made by Ryobi that seems like it could be beneficial without affecting your auto's exterior finish.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:36 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,203,799 times
Use a touch-less system. And no doubt getting the salt and what not off is critical to rust prevention. Use your hose in spring. Do not spare the water. Get under there and blast away.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Use the touchless wash at the gas station. Make sure it has an undercarriage sprayer.

I don't have any statistical data, but it's common sense that getting the salt and brine off the vehicle quickly is going to reduce the time it sits on the metal and oxidizes it.

You figure that you spend $5, $6, or $7 on a gas station wash twice a week in the winter months, and it makes the vehicle last 5 years longer than it otherwise would. Seems like the math would work out in favor of the more frequent washing.

But I'm no mathematics professor...

Old 03-26-2023, 11:58 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
I was able to prevent my vehicle from rusting via car washes and garaging.

Just my experience.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intersomnee View Post
Just from my own personal experience, getting regular car washes in the winter absolutely helps protect from rust. Many gas stations and car wash places offer discounts on gas with one, as well as months packages that keep the price manageable.
Car washes can be cheaper in the long run, if you also get discounted gas, and pick discount washes.

Saves time too, as setting up to wash a vehicle at home can be a task, plus laundering the washrags and buffing rags.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:15 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
I live in the snow belt, where road salt is used generously, and any time it gets above freezing 32*F, the car gets washed, especially the underside. Back when the Jeep was new, I "rustproofed" it with a generous application of LPS3, to the undercar and inner door areas, too.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:21 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
If you live in a snowy/icy climate, washing a car in your own driveway can be a hassle because water in a bucket can freeze before you can use it. It also freezes to the car (including windows and other rather important moving parts) before you can effectively wipe it down. Not to mention turning your driveway into a skating rink for months at a time. Ask me why I know...

There's one "touchless" car wash with an undercarriage blast option in my town. The place is so busy in winter you have to sit in line. Not all of those people are spendthrift dummies.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:20 PM

147 posts, read 142,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Use the touchless wash at the gas station. Make sure it has an undercarriage sprayer.

I don't have any statistical data, but it's common sense that getting the salt and brine off the vehicle quickly is going to reduce the time it sits on the metal and oxidizes it.

You figure that you spend $5, $6, or $7 on a gas station wash twice a week in the winter months, and it makes the vehicle last 5 years longer than it otherwise would. Seems like the math would work out in favor of the more frequent washing.

But I'm no mathematics professor...

My gas station charges $15 to do an under-carriage wash where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive