Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 07:25 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times

Advertisements

This is what I’ve seen a lot on the roads and highways. For no good reason hit the brakes when the roads are slightly choppy or they see a slowdown ahead they decide ride the brakes early.

Then when the traffic is moving they accelerate for a sec and stalls then accelerate causing bottlenecks and huge gaps between cars.

I get that trucks does this a lot but I’ve seen normal people just brake too often and take forever to build up speed on the road. Even if a guy is driving an Audi R8 or Maclaren I see them constantly brake and then slow to drive at a decent pace.

Very bad driving pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 08:11 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
The only thing you can do is give yourself plenty of space, can't change how idiots drive.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:48 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The only thing you can do is give yourself plenty of space, can't change how idiots drive.
Yes, the idiot who tailgates is just as much of a problem as the idiot who doesn't brake or accelerate "when they're supposed to"...

Old 04-01-2023, 03:08 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
I see this often. I suspect sometimes it’s a case of an impatient driver trying to show his or her frustration. I’m a bit more forgiving on slowing for rough road. I don’t know the physical condition of the vehicle nor health of the driver. My wife has spinal issues so I must be cautious when driving her to an appointment. Hard bumps will cause her pain.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:24 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
If you’re in heavy traffic following an enormous pickup, SUV, or van where your view of the traffic ahead is completely blocked, of course you’re going to brake early. You’re going to rear end the thing if it nails the brakes and you’re not already on your brake pedal.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:04 AM

7,761 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
This is what I’ve seen a lot on the roads and highways. For no good reason hit the brakes when the roads are slightly choppy or they see a slowdown ahead they decide ride the brakes early.

Then when the traffic is moving they accelerate for a sec and stalls then accelerate causing bottlenecks and huge gaps between cars.

I get that trucks does this a lot but I’ve seen normal people just brake too often and take forever to build up speed on the road. Even if a guy is driving an Audi R8 or Maclaren I see them constantly brake and then slow to drive at a decent pace.

Very bad driving pattern.
Give yourself an extra 5 minutes to drive to your destination and relax. No need to worry about how other people drive.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:44 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
It's a good chunk of the reason why one person can get 30mpg out of a car than another only gets 20. Every time you brake you turn all that purchased momentum into useless heat at the brake pads.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:48 AM

7,761 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, the idiot who tailgates is just as much of a problem as the idiot who doesn't brake or accelerate "when they're supposed to"...
The idiot who tailgates likely has never passed High School Physics, let alone Physics 102 at the university level (physics requiring calculus, not physics for lit majors).

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-01-2023 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-01-2023, 10:04 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The idiot who tailgates likely has never passed High School Physics, let alone Physics 101 at the university level (physics requiring calculus, not physics for lit majors).
While that is likely true, I think it's also true that most chronic tailgaters don't even seem to realize that they are tailgating. I had a now-deceased friend who used to tailgate other cars at a ridiculously close distance, and I quickly learned that riding in her little SUV was not safe because of her driving behaviors.

The very last time that I rode in her vehicle, she was tailgating a Mazda Miata so closely that I was able to see that car's instrument panel clearly from my vantage point in the front passenger seat. Trying to be diplomatic, I said, "Carol... perhaps you should leave a little more distance between your car and the one in front of us". I never used the word "tailgate", but she began screaming, "I'm NOT tailgating" several times.

After that, it was so just so much easier--and safer--to say, "Let's take my car, Carol".
Luckily, she always agreed.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:20 AM

6,423 posts, read 3,134,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
............I never used the word "tailgate", but she began screaming, "I'm NOT tailgating" several times.
She wasn't, she was drafting the car in front............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive