Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 04:52 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times

Advertisements

I always have this impression that it does. I it may be from the old Gastrol ad that has engine running faster and faster and at high RPM it stops and shatters. Is there conclusion on this question?

Case study: running the engine at 2000 RPM for 500 hours, vs. running the same engine at 5000 RPM (still outside redline) for 200 hours, each will have the engine turn 1 million times. Does one produce more wear than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 05:12 AM

11,462 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Well, 60 million revs, but same point.

My understanding is that engine wear is caused by revs and heat, so if the engine is running hotter at 5000 RPM than at 2000 RPM in your example, the high reving wear is greater. If your engine is running at the same temperature in both cases, then you would have the same wear.

So the question is, do car engines run hotter at higher RPMs? You would think they would generate more heat at higher RPMs as they are doing a lot more work per unit time, but if the speed of your car allows the radiator to change out that heat, then maybe not.

If you are talking about 2 engines sitting on blocks in your garage with one run at 2000 RPM and the other at 5000 RPM, then the high revving engine should be running hotter, but cars don't work that way. Usually you are driving faster and have the benefit of better heat exchange through the radiator.

As far as exponentially greater wear, I have no clue.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:08 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,337,574 times
At 5000 rpm, the internal surfaces of the engine (yes, I know there is an oil film between the surfaces) are rubbing against each other 2.5 times faster than at 2,000 RPM. Unless there is some magic lubricate whose protection increases with with friction, it's safe to say that an engine will wear faster at 5K RPM than at 2K RPM. An order of magnitude faster? Maybe. Maybe not. 1 order of magnitude is 10 times faster. That seems like a lot. It also depends on the engine. My guess is that an engine with a redline of 4,500 RPM isn't going to last as long as and engine with a redline of 10,000 RPM if both were held at a steady 6,000 RPM. So, does an engine wear faster at higher RPM? Probably? An order of magnitude faster? Too many variables to say.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:36 AM

10,840 posts, read 4,521,326 times
its been a few decades since I bothered to run the calculation, its likely still buried on the SAE website but yes, the wear is proportional to the square of the RPM

Old 03-29-2023, 10:53 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,847,903 times
I know when it comes to diesels on boats, the charter guys running at 2000 RPM's (on an engine that maxes at 3500ish) typically get 3 to 4 times as many hours before rebuilding as the private guys running the same motors at the "recommended" 2950 RPMs.

Likewise, outboards being run at low RPM's, typically commercial operations, can go 5000 hours or more. But many mechanics and even the outboard manufactures always insist on running them towards the top often and keeping them around 4500 rpms or so typically. And outboards have a reputation of being done at 2000 hours. I wonder why. If the commercial guys only got 2000 hours out of a motor, they wouldn't be able to afford to live. I put 1800 hours on mine in the past 2 seasons!

Old 03-29-2023, 01:25 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
At 5000 rpm, the internal surfaces of the engine (yes, I know there is an oil film between the surfaces) are rubbing against each other 2.5 times faster than at 2,000 RPM. Unless there is some magic lubricate whose protection increases with with friction, it's safe to say that an engine will wear faster at 5K RPM than at 2K RPM. An order of magnitude faster? Maybe. Maybe not. 1 order of magnitude is 10 times faster. That seems like a lot. It also depends on the engine. My guess is that an engine with a redline of 4,500 RPM isn't going to last as long as and engine with a redline of 10,000 RPM if both were held at a steady 6,000 RPM. So, does an engine wear faster at higher RPM? Probably? An order of magnitude faster? Too many variables to say.

But, think about taking an engine apart and finding the most cylinder wear near the top of the stroke where the piston speed is slowing down and hitting zero before it starts its downward journey.

Old 03-29-2023, 03:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,655,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But, think about taking an engine apart and finding the most cylinder wear near the top of the stroke where the piston speed is slowing down and hitting zero before it starts its downward journey.

But it does the same thing at the bottom of the cylinder - slows, stops and reverses. I suspect more wear near the top is due to less lubrication at the top.

The thing you point out though, is that with a piston engine, both the pistons and the valves come to a complete stop and reverse directions many times a second. The faster the engine is spinning the higher the stresses are on numerous components (connecting rods, valve seats, bearings, etc.). Higher stresses lead to higher wear.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:42 PM

25,562 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Does engine wear increase exponentially with higher RPM?
Intuitively, I say, "Yes". I say yes because at a lower RPM it takes less force to yank the piston up and down.
You and I could lob a baseball back and forth to each other for days on end.
If we fired it back and forth someone's arm or someone else's glove would wear out.
But that's all intuitive; I have no real information.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:01 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,312 times
exponentially?
depends upon
the exponent.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:32 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
But it does the same thing at the bottom of the cylinder - slows, stops and reverses. I suspect more wear near the top is due to less lubrication at the top.

The thing you point out though, is that with a piston engine, both the pistons and the valves come to a complete stop and reverse directions many times a second. The faster the engine is spinning the higher the stresses are on numerous components (connecting rods, valve seats, bearings, etc.). Higher stresses lead to higher wear.

I think much of it is also do to more heat. There are so many intertwined factors in what this discussion's about I'd think it extremely difficult to come up with rules having few if no exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive