Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 08:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 948,397 times

Advertisements

Speaking of distracted driving, my brother, when in his work truck, stoped at a four way stop sign and watched some man slowly blow though his stop sign with a bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other. I guess he was eating cereal or something? While running stop signs and steering with his knees? I can never get over other women doing makeup while driving. Not stopped and doing makeup ant stoplights or something, I mean in bumper to bumper rush hour doing their eyes and stuff. Aren’t they afraid they’ll hit something and take out their eye with their mascara? I don’t see that as much anymore now that I work remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I still prefer paper maps. During my Navy days I made many long distance trips using paper maps. When in doubt I would pull off the road to review the map or ask a local where am I on the map. One advantage of a paper map is I can scan the area for any side trips I may want to hit. Using paper maps also requires being more aware of your surroundings and directions (compass directions). On one trips from Lafayette Louisiana to Norfolk Virginia I decided somewhere in Tennessee to take a state highway I saw on the map instead of the interstate highway. This highway was somewhere between Tennessee and Virginia in the mountain area and it turned out to be one of the best drives I ever had. My car at the time was a new 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe with 2.2L engine and manual transmission. Not a sports car at all but that road made me feel great. I felt in tuned with the car and the road. I found beautiful views complete with streams, farms, and leaves halfway to changing colors for autumn. I found hairpin turns, dips, crest, and curves that made me wish I was in a Miata or a Porsche. I found hole in the wall restaurants with great food.
You might get a kick out of this… my 18-year-old daughter has a map (actually a book with map pages) in her car. She mainly uses her phone GPS, but she likes the map as a backup. I think she also likes to weird her friends out by using it sometimes instead of the phone. It used to be mine, she stole it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 08:57 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Speaking of distracted driving, my brother, when in his work truck, stoped at a four way stop sign and watched some man slowly blow though his stop sign with a bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other. I guess he was eating cereal or something? While running stop signs and steering with his knees? I can never get over other women doing makeup while driving. Not stopped and doing makeup ant stoplights or something, I mean in bumper to bumper rush hour doing their eyes and stuff. Aren’t they afraid they’ll hit something and take out their eye with their mascara? I don’t see that as much anymore now that I work remote.

You might get a kick out of this… my 18-year-old daughter has a map (actually a book with map pages) in her car. She mainly uses her phone GPS, but she likes the map as a backup. I think she also likes to weird her friends out by using it sometimes instead of the phone. It used to be mine, she stole it.
Knowing the compass directions and the basics of how to read a map are good life safety skills. Sadly some people today couldn’t tell you north, south, east, and west even during a sunrise or sunset.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post

I do genealogy. I can’t imagine doing genealogy without an atlas. I use an Rand McNally road atlas. Sometimes when you see the map it becomes very clear what went on.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:13 PM

12,389 posts, read 9,493,040 times
In over a decade of using the GPS navigation, I've only had it fail twice - where the GPS map was wrong. But I like to carry paper maps as well - large type for my older eyes. The big physical format makes it easier to think about alternative routes if there is heavy traffic, especially on a road trip - I don't always want to use the next fastest route as identified by the GPS when the primary route is clogged... maybe I want to take a scenic route that will give up some additional time, but be more enjoyable, if I am going to be delayed anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive