Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 05:02 PM

6,922 posts, read 4,935,461 times

Advertisements

Remove the frame. You don't need one. Just screw the license back on. I removed the frames from my vehicles because I saw no reason to be a free advertisement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 06:41 PM

9,556 posts, read 4,384,942 times
A tag number without the context of the state in which it was issued is meaningless. There's your answer.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:48 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,300,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetshut View Post
I only kept the frame because I don't like my plate drilled into the bumper cause it is a ghetto thing to do and looks sloppy. .

Could you please expand and explain "it is a ghetto thing". I don't have a frame. My plate is attached using the pre-drilled holes. Am I ghetto?

Maybe it's time for you to leave the District if you see things in term of being ghetto.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:05 PM

6,922 posts, read 4,935,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Could you please expand and explain "it is a ghetto thing". I don't have a frame. My plate is attached using the pre-drilled holes. Am I ghetto?

Maybe it's time for you to leave the District if you see things in term of being ghetto.
We don't have any ghettos in my area. There's no drilling required. The license plate comes with holes, the frame comes with holes, the place where the plate goes on the car comes with holes. Everything fits as designed, frame or no frame.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:36 PM

6,354 posts, read 4,954,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetshut View Post

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
Do without the frame.

Then you'll never have to worry about getting pulled over for obscuring your license plate.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:38 PM

5,338 posts, read 6,045,001 times
My thoughts... "End Taxation without Representation" screams Washington, D.C. and officers in the Mid-Atlantic region know that. They shouldn't need to see "Washington, D.C." OTOH, if you're Black remove the frame immediately. Last thought...Do you feel lucky? One bored officer having a crappy day could pull you over for the hell of it. I'd fix it.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,631,117 times
Pennsylvani recently changed its lay, to read "illegible at any reasonable distance", specifically allowing frames.
https://www.grossmcginley.com/resour...e-law-amended/
The test is the legibility of relevant data. which would include name of issuing atate, but not motto, nor (in PA) the state's website. The new law would be in line with the "reasonable person doctrine" -- If a reasonable person can read it, it's OK. A great forward step for liberty.

Historically, frames have been allowed to obscore "the other border", but not the state name. Some states name the tax-assessing county in the lower panel, those states may have relevant laws.

The larger issue is whether a traffic stop, by itself, meets probable cause for a search, andthe PA amendment was aimrf at saying NO, it does not.

Last edited by arr430; 04-05-2023 at 09:04 PM..

Old 04-06-2023, 04:01 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,884,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I've seen vehicles drive around with the state names obscured or the lettering even having peeled off. I don't know if it's illegal, but local cops would be able to tell just from the look of the plate and the number coding which of the local jurisdictions it is. D.C. plates look quite distinct from VA and MD plates (which in turn also look quite different from each other).
In DC the parring enforcement people will get you if part of it is covered. It doesn’t matter which state. The plates looking distinct is irrelevant. They want the plate completely visible for th speed cameras and red light / stop sign cameras. DC really needs that enforcement revenue. You see covered plates in Maryland and Virginia because it’s mostly suburban with free parking. They don’t enforce this in those states as strictly as DC does.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:04 AM

45,573 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
In DC the parring enforcement people will get you if part of it is covered. It doesn’t matter which state. The plates looking distinct is irrelevant. They want the plate completely visible for th speed cameras and red light / stop sign cameras. DC really needs that enforcement revenue. You see covered plates in Maryland and Virginia because it’s mostly suburban with free parking. They don’t enforce this in those states as strictly as DC does.
Yeah, I also was going to say that DC really does go after this.

Also, just an observation. Most auto parts stores have compliant frames that you can go and buy right now. No need to Amazon for one and wait a week.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:56 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,591,684 times
I think most frames look silly anways, but that is just my personal preference. I just have the plate with the bolts and black bolt covers over the bolts. Looks neat, clean and uncluttered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive