Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 06:36 PM

15,499 posts, read 7,538,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetshut View Post
So I registered my car in Washington, DC(I know NOT a state) and the dealership frame from my previous state blocks the name "Washington, DC" on my rear license plate.

However, the numbers and letters on the plate can easily be read. I only drive two or three days a week tops to far off work locations(locations that lack mass transit)or if I am going deeper into rural areas of Virginia but rest of the days I use the DC Metro train system which is easier than driving and less stressful.

I much rather avoid the police and don't want to give them a dumb reason to pull me over. It wastes my time which is more valuable than having a conversation with them on the side of the road and getting falsely accused of intentionally obscuring my plate.

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
What purpose does the frame serve? I've always removed them as useless junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 18,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What purpose does the frame serve? I've always removed them as useless junk.
Well I don't like drilling the plate directly into the bumper. Looks kinda ghettoish to do that kinda like some people putting the front plate on the windshield or on the side corner bumper.

I am not a big car guy, but all my life, whenever I had a car depending where lived, I did make sure it looked neat and consistent. What others do to their cars, is on them.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, I believe you can be ticketed. Nothing wrong with plate frames as long as the state name is visible along with the current year sticker. And the plate numbers/letters visible, of course.
The sticker in DC goes on the front windshield since it's walkable, and cops patrol on foot as well, but in other states I know they put it on the plate itself is better.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,404,338 times
When I buy a car the first thing that I do is remove all the advertising and throw it in the trash. It does not enhance the car.

Stickers can be removed with a hair dryer.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:29 PM

8,529 posts, read 4,766,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When I buy a car the first thing that I do is remove all the advertising and throw it in the trash. It does not enhance the car.

Stickers can be removed with a hair dryer.
I’m with this guy.

Although when I bought my beater in Dallas, I left the plastic dealer thing on. It was kind of a quirky cool thing to see on a car which is now 26 years old.

Anyway, I would call that law one of those they can use when they want to get you for something but can’t. The odds of actually getting ticketed are really small, and probably not unless either you’re doing something of note or the cop is having a bad day.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m with this guy.

Although when I bought my beater in Dallas, I left the plastic dealer thing on. It was kind of a quirky cool thing to see on a car which is now 26 years old.

Anyway, I would call that law one of those they can use when they want to get you for something but can’t. The odds of actually getting ticketed are really small, and probably not unless either you’re doing something of note or the cop is having a bad day.
I only had three speeding tickets my whole life with the last one in 2014. I was pulled over in 2021 for going "too slow" on a curvy mountain with no guardrail but got a verbal warning. Cops bad days could hurt a persons finances, jobs prospects, and possibly their life.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:15 PM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Quote:
So I registered my car in Washington, DC(I know NOT a state) and the dealership frame from my previous state blocks the name "Washington, DC" on my rear license plate.

However, the numbers and letters on the plate can easily be read. I only drive two or three days a week tops to far off work locations(locations that lack mass transit)or if I am going deeper into rural areas of Virginia but rest of the days I use the DC Metro train system which is easier than driving and less stressful.

I much rather avoid the police and don't want to give them a dumb reason to pull me over. It wastes my time which is more valuable than having a conversation with them on the side of the road and getting falsely accused of intentionally obscuring my plate.

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
To me this is a no-brainer. Your current frame blocks some of the data from view. Frames are cheap. You know what to do.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:14 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,614,148 times
Yes for two reasons,

1. Your plate is only a unique number only if it identifies the issuing state

2. If the police want to arrest you, a reason can be found, and that'ss one of them. They're "Gotcha Laws" and every police state needs them.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:50 AM

10,921 posts, read 4,580,484 times
Quote:

your state may vary, but in PA - yes....any portion of the plate covered, by plastic, glass or a trim ring is illegal. as a licensed state inspector, I am required to remove your safety certificate and issue a fail report. The coppers, wont be so nice (its enforced exactly never by the cops, but I enforce it cuz if someone wants to indict me for a process crime, its a 10K per incident fine on me/my shop)

Old 04-05-2023, 08:06 AM

6,820 posts, read 4,269,802 times
I've seen vehicles drive around with the state names obscured or the lettering even having peeled off. I don't know if it's illegal, but local cops would be able to tell just from the look of the plate and the number coding which of the local jurisdictions it is. D.C. plates look quite distinct from VA and MD plates (which in turn also look quite different from each other).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive